COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
World Size

How big is the game world estimated to be, and will the terrain be varied, consisting of different scenery and weather depending on where you are? For example, the Northern reaches of the map perhaps may have snowfall etc.

7/27/2015 6:13:51 PM #1

Caspian can get you the numbers, but we want a very large sandbox. Like, 'Tamriel' huge. There will most definitely be different foliage, terrain, and weather depending on the region. The abundance of different resources in different places is a key piece in driving the economy between regions. It onlly makes sense that different resources stem from different environments :3

:3

7/27/2015 6:22:58 PM #2

"Tamriel big" - sold hehe XD

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p795/SilDarklight/Chronicles%20of%20Elyria/Forum/Sigs/Luccheno%20600x100altzpsuev3knqe.jpg

7/27/2015 6:25:14 PM #3

The more I hear about this game, the more I want to play it! It seems like the game that I've been trying to find for years! And Tamriel huge.. wow! If you can pull this off, I'd be astounded. I'm just glad that I could be one of the first 250, and be here from the start of the Journey. Good luck, I'm looking forward for what's to come <3

7/27/2015 7:51:09 PM #4

This game could have a huge world, which is most likely in my opinion. I hope that this world would be enjoyable for a lot of people to settle and attack.

7/30/2015 2:20:48 AM #5

Like TripNull said, In regards to unique terrain and weather, the answer is yes! Those both function as another element of a realistic world. 

As for how big the world is, we will just say: "It's big".

-Miguel

\[T]/

7/30/2015 4:24:40 AM #6

Hi Souzou,

first - many thanks for energetic step-in and providing awesome community service so far :-)

I'd like to ask (failed to find that info elsewhere) about Elyria and how do you intend to allow us to explore it.

- will there be an open world with no loading screens between zones (entering a town from a field, entering buildings in towns, moving across different geographic zones)

- I have noticed that "travel" post on this forum, that there will be some sea travel available, how will it work? Will it be like a World of Warcraft style - so few moments on a ship then loading screen for new continent? Or some actual time of travel depending on the distance?
If the latter - can you please speculate on let' say the longest time that one might spend on a ship traveling..hmm from one continent to another?

- I have seen that there will be no fast travel options, do you permanently exclude the use of magic teleportation, portals, summoning circles or so available only to those skilled in use of such magic devices / locations?

Got bazillion more questions, but have to get back to work for now.

Cheers,

DerryFH

It's dead, Jim.

7/30/2015 5:01:48 AM #7

Hi DerryFH,

Thanks a lot ^_^ I'm flattered. 

So to answer your questions,

1. Correct, open world, no loading screens.

2.  As for sea travel, we're going to keep that information to ourselves for now ;).

3. Generally speaking, most people will not have any way to fast travel. However, that is not going to preclude the ability at some point in the future to access fast travel for certain individuals through methods like the ones you mentioned (i.e. Magic Teleportation, summoning circles, etc.). 

Hope that helps for now. Keep up the questions!

-Miguel

\[T]/

7/30/2015 6:00:17 AM #8

"1. Correct, open world, no loading screens."

==> THIS

Awesome answers, everything I wanted from a great game. 

You know that should Soulbound Studio fail to deliver that awesomeness, there will be a massive wave of suicides across the world, so no pressure, no pressure at all :-)

Cheers,

DerryFH

It's dead, Jim.

7/30/2015 8:07:41 PM #9

Will there be caravans?

Will there be fantastical mounts or mostly just horseys? 

Will there be stable masters as a proffession or NPC/OPC?

8/4/2015 10:23:46 PM #10

I know the OP was about how big the world will be across land, but what about up in the sky or even underwater or in a deep cave? Will there be ways to travel through the winds? How high will mountains go up?

8/5/2015 3:56:52 AM #11

I've always wondered why in open world sandbox games, developers always seem to overlook going underground in dungeons.  I don't mean a few little slopes here and there in a cave but I mean actual depth leading to large underground areas full of subterranean beasties, abandoned mining facilities, remnants of past civilisations etc.

Found my guide helpful? Show your love by adding my Friend Code:1996D8

8/5/2015 4:02:51 AM #12

i swear people like you make games interesting af

8/5/2015 5:38:06 AM #13

Well we try haha.

If you think about it though, it’s a logical step in a game where space is finite (with the exceptions of new area releases obviously).

Underground areas are such missed opportunity, especially in an open world game with no instances.  Underground exploration would add a lot more depth (no pun intended) to the game on a whole I think, and with the route the guys at Soulbound Studios are taking with CoE it can definitely add to the realism and survival mechanics.

Found my guide helpful? Show your love by adding my Friend Code:1996D8

8/5/2015 5:42:14 AM #14

And then we can all evolve to become Kobolds and mine and mine and mine and.. oups.. Elyria's core.

Love the idea of underworld, brings some memories of Drows and Menzoberranzan.

It's dead, Jim.

8/5/2015 5:55:40 AM #15

It's planned. It falls under the terraforming we want to do and is kind of vital to some of the housing stuff we're doing. But we've not started on that system yet, so it may not be available at launch.