COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
Give Me Your Constellations!

Hello, everyone!

As inferred from my demanding subject line, I'm in the market for player-made constellations. Not to keep, of course.

What I really want is to feature them in my Fan Media post, [The Mage's Cipher - Encrypted Character Lore]. I write my posts ahead of time, so I can't promise they'll be in this or next week's entry, but I would love to hear about what people have done.

If you're interested, please post the name and a bit of lore about your constellation. Images are nice, but aren't necessary.

I'll also note that I won't be using anyone's constellations without permission first, so feel free to post even if you don't want your constellation immortalized in .PNG form.

A link to my page may be found in this post or in the moon in my signature!

8/3/2016 5:07:40 AM #1

My constellation will be tied into the lore of Zylphania. The constellation is a 7-star configuration that matches the arrangement of 7 eyes on the head of the ancient demon, the Umberhawk (you can see a stylized representation of the constellation in the main body of my coat of arms).

The story goes: 400 years ago Zylpha Bombastus, a Thane of some renown, vowed to slay the demon who had ousted her people from their homeland: the dreaded Umberhawk. A massive, jet-black hawk with blood-red plumage and seven sinister eyes, claws like broadswords, a scream like metal grinding against metal, and a body that trailed into noxious, inky mist at the tail end. Zylpha formed a coalition of several local Thanes to battle the demon.

For nearly three weeks they fought the beast, chasing and being chased across the countryside. Any time one side would gain an edge, the other would overcome it. It seemed as though the battle may never end. But Zylpha's guile and tenacity saw her through, and on the last day of the third week her blade found the demon's foul heart, and the wicked light faded from those seven eyes forever. Zylpha had won her homeland back, and it was eventually named in her honor.

The very next night after the battle, the seven brightest stars that had shone over the battlefield turned blood red. Since that day, those stars have been known as The Umberhawk's Eyes. Zylphanian parents tell stories about the vengeful shade of that once great beast, who haunts the hills of Castillion County where the demon fell. It seeks out the wicked and devours them, they say. Do not embrace the darkness, they warn, lest the demon claim your soul.

Historians often point out that the configuration of seven red stars is noted in at least two records that predate the life of Zylpha Demonslayer, and that the tale of the stars turning red upon the slaying of the beast is likely apocryphal. Never the less, the popular version of the story prevails.

8/8/2016 3:27:46 AM #2

I i guess ill do this My constellation is a sword ( real oregano) granted to I don't know Valo Baldur, by Ao, when he vowed to slay the demon Bahamorg who killed his lover and his children. As Valo and Bahamorg fought the land was destroyed Valo suffered a fatal wound when trying to save a lost child who had wandered into the battlefield but before Valo died he killed Bahamorg with a stab through the heart. The kid valo protected was actually Ao in disguise and as thanks for "saving" him Ao brought Valo's legacy into the sky so everyone can know of his heroics

8/8/2016 3:57:23 AM #3

mine wouldn't be a constellation per se, but it would be a celestial object

a comet in an erratic orbit thus difficult to predict when it would next show up in the heavens again

it would be recognized by it's bright red tail that distinguishes it from other comets

it would be called "The Wandering Hermit"

8/31/2016 5:24:42 AM #4

"The Orphan" is a constellation that only shows itself for eight days of the winter season every ten years. This is because, the rest of the time it is hidden from view by the rotation of a large (unknown) planet's orbit. "The Orphan" is made up of seven stars: 2 stars form the center (or Body) of the orphan, four stars stand out from the center as arms and legs, and the largest star forms the head.

The myth of the Orphan is as follows:

There once was a great and powerful king, who ruled over a kingdom even more great and powerful. As a child, the king was intelligent and kind, and all wished for him to head the kingdom. But, alas! He was a younger son, third in line, and was unlikely to receive the throne in his own lifetime. This kind boy did not care about the throne, for he treasured knowledge and had hopes of succeeding as Head of the Research Department when he grew older.

However, it was not to be. The young prince's older brothers were impolite and cruel; and would, at social gatherings, make fools and demonstrations of others, commoner and noble alike. Eventually, a coup was staged. The nobles, knowing the current King's health was failing, and his Queen already buried, decided to get rid of the elder two princes, so as to avoid, in advance, a reign of cruelty. Doing this also meant that the current king must also die, lest he attempt revenge. And, most unfortunately for themselves, they also got rid of the younger prince and the twin princesses. The prince, who was fifteen and now all alone, was then placed upon the throne by his supporters.

Throughout the years, as the king had less and less time for intellectual pursuits, and with no one he trusted to advise, correct, and steady him, he grew bitter towards the people whom had first taken away his family, and then taken away his future; both in exchange for the one thing he never wanted - ruler-ship. Then, the Head of the Research Department died, and 'twas the final nail in the coffin of this unfortunate king's sanity. Thus it was that this king set out to destroy his nobles whom had sponsored him. He decided to kill only one of his nobles a day, so that fear would spread to the others, the total of which was twelve. Eight royal guards accompanied each courier, who, himself, was armed only with the vial of poison and a note. The group of nine was made to arrive at the noble's residence early in the morning, to give a maximum time for rumors to spread.

The note, such an innocuous thing, read only: "You made your bed, now shall you sleep in it." If the noble did not drink the vial willingly, then the guards were there to force it. Again and again this scene repeated; for eight days, a company of nine would arrive at the house of a noble, containing eight guards and a courier who carried only a vial of poison and a note, each reading the same words "You made your bed, and now shall you sleep in it." At noon on the eighth day, happy that his plan was going so well, the king went on an excursion outside his castle and down to the marketplace. There, he saw all the advances that had been made since he was a boy, for he had not visited since before he attained the king-ship.

While traversing the marketplace, the king tripped over something. It was a young boy! Desiring the boy to be punished, the king demanded of the boy the location of his parents.

"none have I, sir." The boy responded. So the king demanded the whereabouts of brothers and sisters.

"No brothers 'nor sisters do I have, sir." The boy once more responded. The king, much aggravated, then demanded the presence of the boy's care-taker. Again the boy responded the negative.

"Then who takes care of you?" The king incredulously asked.

"I takes care of mesself." Stated the boy, who looked only to be about seven years of age. The anger left the king all at once and he sat on the ground next to the boy.

"Why have you no family?" The king asked, curious.

"Because the great king killed them." The boy responded, not knowing to whom he was speaking.

"I did no such thing!" yelled the king, aghast.

"You are not the king." The boy stated.

"But I am the king." The king rebutted.

"Then you indeed did kill my family." Said the boy.

"How did I do this thing of which you speak?" The king asked.

"A few days ago, a courier came to my family's house bearing a vial and a note which read, You made your bed, and now you shall sleep in it. When my father refused to drink it, the vial's contents were forced down his throat. He died almost immediately. My mother killed herself, in her grief she had sliced her wrists and bled to death. I had no other family, and the servants forced me out of the house so they could loot it. I have been on the streets for four days now, starving and alone. And I am glad I got to see you." Finished the boy.

"And why are you glad?" asked the king, growing stiff.

"I had the chance to tell you my story," responded the boy, "And now I can also forgive you." The king resisted the urge to run as the boy's arms wrapped around his neck in a strong, but tentative, hug. Though the boy was quiet, shudders wracked his body, and the king supposed that the boy was crying. His own wrapped around the boy as he remembered the family that he only now felt he could mourn, and he, himself, began to cry.

The king decided to take that boy back to the castle with him and marked him as his heir. Because of the boy's story, the king decided to stop the killing of his nobles and to provide for the families of those already killed. And so it was that the Orphan was lauded as a hero and upon his death, the gods grafted his very image into the stars above, to be seen every ten years; for 10 years was it that the king reigned before his sanity snapped, and viewed for eight days; for eight days did it take before the king's sanity was restored.

67CAC0

"Different denotes neither bad nor good, but it certainly means not the same."

-Just a lowly beekeeper

9/15/2016 2:38:29 PM #5

These are all some really great pieces, you all! Very interesting bits of lore! I hope to hear more examples like these in the future.

12/11/2016 6:35:35 AM #6

Glad to have run across this post. I'd like to add the one I plan to create...

"Euphonious" is a constellation that on the clearest and darkest nights of the year appears as a short string of different color stars, set in positions that cause it to resemble a brief measure of music. According to legend, if you can play or sing the notes just right, looking to the sky on an evening where they shine, you will receive your hearts fondest wish.