COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Retiring Heroes Option

The Option to retire you hero.

It would be nice to be able to watch your original hero retire and hang with his wife and maybe take up a profession or tell stories or even train younger generations. It could be a king passing on the reign of the kingdom to his hair or even a simple adventurer retiring and telling stories at taverns. Also it would mean you could dictate when your hair is ready for the world. like a coming of age.

For example; "I'm getting older now, I can feel my reaction time slowing. Now when I go on adventures Im wiser and spend more time planning but I sustain more injury's and I'm healing from them slower from them... Perhaps its time I hung up my adventuring boots and settled properly with my wife. My son is more the eager and capable enough to fill those shoes. I always talked of spending my later years teaching the younger generations about Adventuring and combat with strange creatures. Or I could spend my time working on my craft of blacksmithing, it always calmed my heart."

8/24/2016 9:11:43 AM #1

You do have that option already, just need to play it.

No character is bound to a play style, as long as you manage to get the knowledge and find a way to sustain your living you can follow any path.

The only limit is switching body before the one you're usind die. As long as the old hero is alive you are bound to play it, you can retire and arange for your heir to take control, but with the risk that it's now a npc who's in control ( need confirmation, you are able to transfer titles to pc thru contracts, might not be able to do it with npc) But even without transfering title you can arrange for the NPC to run things.

and if the old hero does a good job at staying alive you might have to jump a generation and take over your grandchild.

I have no idea how deep you'll be able to "manage" your family; it seems you'll have a rather big control over your child till it reach 15 but after that when he becomes a full NPC can you still influence the way he'll run things ? and if yes to what extend ?

8/24/2016 9:46:39 AM #2

Posted By markof at 7:11 PM - Wed Aug 24 2016

The only limit is switching body before the one you're usind die. As long as the old hero is alive you are bound to play it,

i see what ur saying but again im talking about switching bodys before you die.

8/24/2016 9:50:52 AM #3

I know it's a darker thought, but there's always going for a swim in the ocean if you catch my drift ;)

8/27/2016 7:48:57 AM #4

Posted By Shmigly at 9:50 AM - Wed Aug 24 2016

I know it's a darker thought, but there's always going for a swim in the ocean if you catch my drift ;)

Hahaha well said man! hahaha

8/27/2016 7:55:19 AM #5

I think this would actually be a neat mechanic but at the same time kinda defeats the purpose of age just a bit if you just wait until 35 (where your phsyical stats decline) and you just insta-swap to your heir and start over.

Also, It can be abused by min-maxers. You get skill ramps and the youth skill boost when you reincarnate. A min-maxer would be able to spam reincarnate for youth boost after youth boost until their skill get's to a certain amount. Then when they finally decide to play legit they can use skill ramps, books, and scrolls to get back to what ever skill they spam boosted for.

I don't know anymore.

9/1/2016 9:43:21 AM #6

I dont see how implementing this would prevent any type of play that is not already possible. The mechanic of changing body at a certain age is already implemented, as you can just suicide until you perma die. I too think that it would be nice if there was a way to finish your character early, without killing it off.

Maybe some sort of soul release ritual.

9/3/2016 8:36:00 PM #7

Reincarnation is one of the biggest points of this game. CoE makes it a point that you play as a soul, the thing that gives life to a body. In my mind the ability to change bodies before the death of the original is impossible.

If you do though want to continue in the way you describe I am not sure where I saw it but you can have more than one soul to play in the same account. When you have children you can create/pick a new soul to play as and use the NPC code for your child.

But if you think in fictional stories and and biology, most significant traits do tend to skip a generation so being able to play your grandchild with the reincarnation mechanic actually makes more sense (at least to me) than moving on directly to your son.

9/3/2016 9:16:14 PM #8

I like this idea, it's very convenient for PVP/combat oriented characters. I mean there are no negatives to it, unless someone can point one out?

It would save people the need to suicide into a younger body. Would be much nicer to, as you say, optionally switch to a younger body (obviously would need a spark of life otherwise SBS is missing out on $) and see your old character living peacefully in old age while you go off on your young, fit character to explore/bounty hunt/bandit/whatever.

9/3/2016 11:25:46 PM #9

Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 7:55 AM - Sat Aug 27 2016

I think this would actually be a neat mechanic but at the same time kinda defeats the purpose of age just a bit if you just wait until 35 (where your phsyical stats decline) and you just insta-swap to your heir and start over.

Also, It can be abused by min-maxers. You get skill ramps and the youth skill boost when you reincarnate. A min-maxer would be able to spam reincarnate for youth boost after youth boost until their skill get's to a certain amount. Then when they finally decide to play legit they can use skill ramps, books, and scrolls to get back to what ever skill they spam boosted for.

No different than suicide which has widely already been discussed as the likely path pvp oriented folks will take if the decline of age is too steep.

Does cut into my suicide booth monopoly though...

9/4/2016 12:59:43 AM #10

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the longer you stay in your body, the high the skill ramps in your next life. So you can suicide a young player but the ramps will be faster if you play up through older age. Now after you become feeble and frail all bets are off in my book. Though I can see the appeal for a pure PKer when their character gets a little slow.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

9/4/2016 3:18:51 AM #11

Posted By mace771

Also it would mean you could dictate when your hair is ready for the world. like a coming of age.

When your hair is ready for the world, lmfao :')

9/4/2016 5:09:21 AM #12

Isn't the negative you have to pay $30 for reincarnation?

11/1/2016 4:02:20 PM #13

I like the idea of this. You'd need a new spark for a new character of course, which is totally fair. You'd just be having you old character become an npc, aging same as always until the old spark ran out and he'd die. And for the remaining time he had, you'd get to see him living the retired npc life. If they could do it, would be a nice option for people who wanted to move on with a more peaceful ending to their characters adventures instead of succession always coming as a result of death.

Your business is your own. Mine is knowing it.

11/1/2016 5:10:38 PM #14

There are some negatives to this. First, if you kill yourself at such a young age, about half your life, you will not spend time raising a family. This means you will not have heirs and will not inherit your wealth from your prior life. While you would have your skill ramps, you'd be starting over each time. It is even possible you would not even be in the same area if you picked a random npc.

Second, altering this mechanic would remove the attachment sbs is trying to build between the player and the world. Making choices would have no consequences. For example, you are a wanted criminal. You can escape your actions by leaving early.

Third, this would create a surplus of prior opcs and reduce younger npcs. As more and more people transfer half way through their lives leaving poor ex-soldiers to wander the world, less and less children would likely be born. Because sbs wants the npc population to decrease over time anyways, you may eventually find you don't have any young npcs to jump into.

11/1/2016 5:15:40 PM #15

I like the idea....people won't do it too often or early because it'll cost more money to use sparks.

I like the appeal of getting to hang with my former NPC self....

If nothing else I appreciate the creativity of this idea even if it doesn't fit well with the game.

.....and then I'll smash it with a hammer!!!