COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
War between kingdoms, penalty???

Ok so I'm just curious about a thing. If there is war between kingdoms, and we say that I kill someone, not just beat him to the ground, but actually finish him off (because let's face it, it's war). Will I be somehow prosecuted in my own country? Or fellow soldiers being prosecuted in other countries as some kind of outlaws? Or how will this work?

It was just a thought that crosses my mind.

9/3/2016 10:51:03 AM #1

Ok wished to edit the text but can't in my iPhone. Just wanted to add, if one would be hunted by bounty hunters and stuff like that?

9/3/2016 11:13:58 AM #2

No I think like bounty hunting or killing criminals, it'll be perfectly legal. But I imagine it'll be down to the kingdom's laws rather than game mechanics. I think game mechanics will support kingdoms' choices in war. Some kingdoms might refrain from killing unarmed civilians, others might have an indiscriminate destruction approach where they kill and burn every farm and town they come across.

Edit: That's how I see it going down at least, I don't think they've clarified it yet, but it would be silly for every soldier returning to their kingdom to be tried for murder, I'm sure it'll be legal and sanctioned, as long as it's within a kingdom's laws and there's an active cassus belli. Same with a war between two counts etc.

9/3/2016 12:21:23 PM #3

I'm pretty sure there won't be any penalties in times of war, to kill the opposite soldiers that is. Though in times of war the penalty for 1 death on the battlefields will be 4 x the normal amount.

But wars are supposed to be a bit chaotic, so I'll imagine that's what they're settling for. There's no justice or mercy in warfare.

Though if you try to kill someone and it isn't your nation they're at war with, I'll imagine there'll be the same penalty as in times of peace.

9/28/2016 1:33:29 PM #4

Kind of interesting concept increasing penalties for dying in war. Long as every kingdom is not a burn everything horde of griefers the wars could be a interesting way to usher in new generations and make people consider if the war is worth it.

9/28/2016 1:48:37 PM #5

Posted By karat76 at 3:33 PM - Wed Sep 28 2016

Kind of interesting concept increasing penalties for dying in war. Long as every kingdom is not a burn everything horde of griefers the wars could be a interesting way to usher in new generations and make people consider if the war is worth it.

i guess, the majority of people is peaceful and the same goes for NPCs. which makes the vast majority of people peaceful in most situations. still, there can be actual reasons to want war. like one kingdom being aggressive all the time, harassing everyone at their borders and such... sooner or later, those that get harassed will stand up and a war will start. i guess, there will be a minority of aggressive players, but if they do it right, that will totally be enough to start wars once in a while. and there is always the story-driven thing. no one knows what SBS has in mind there. maybe, they will set the NPCs in some area of the world with a strong believe that they have to kill everyone else... reason for war sooner or later. who knows?

i guess, if you kill anyone, there will be a penalty, if you get to court. so, if you win the war and are part of an army and go back to your country, no penalty for killing the other soldiers. if you get caught while setting up ambushes, you will get killed or arrested.

if you kill civillians during war, there may be more penalties. there is already people that try to set up a kind of UN stuff, which declares what is allowed and forbidden in wars. if you are part of king a army and while war kill civillians and king a signed this UN-like stuff, you should get punished.

Friend Code: 30EF47

11/24/2016 1:20:45 AM #6

If I recall correctly, when someone breaks the law/contract the victim gets a bounty token or something like that, which allows to put a bounty on the perpetrator's head. And I'm sure there will be plenty bounty hunters just itching to legally kill and loot another person + collect the bounty.

Carantenum is looking for more citizens. Click on the signature for more information!

11/24/2016 2:17:09 AM #7

Bro, the Elyrian conventions makes sure there are hard penalties inflicted on any war criminal

And don't tell me they can't because they have no official army and don't give any punishments to the Kings who fail to oblige and follow commands, because that is unfair to the Elysian conventions.

Don't worry, squidward and his conventions will protect everyone

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

11/24/2016 2:54:51 AM #8

Just have official battlefields, and any killing outside if that is illegal and you are subjected to the same penalty as any criminal. Or a system where you join an army and if the commander accepts the challenge of another commander the troops can fight an official battle but outside of that condition you're back to being outlaws.

11/25/2016 8:59:00 AM #9

Official battles would greatly constrict tactics. Instead of planning surprise attacks, ambushes and routs, you'd simply win by having more and/or better soldiers in a pitched battle. I'd prefer not to have to notify my enemy before ambushing him and raiding his supply caravans.

As for the whole illegal part, that entirely depends on the laws of the kingdom and county you are in. Some might just allow killing people in the streets with some principle like survival of the fittest.

Alt text

11/25/2016 12:10:23 PM #10

Posted By Kaynadin at 02:54 AM - Thu Nov 24 2016

Just have official battlefields, and any killing outside if that is illegal and you are subjected to the same penalty as any criminal. Or a system where you join an army and if the commander accepts the challenge of another commander the troops can fight an official battle but outside of that condition you're back to being outlaws.

Why would I let my enemies know I was about to attack them? Or Qin forfend allow them to arrange the battle by consent.

If and when my soldiers go to war I want them to win not to play at some fake chivalry. Chevauchée tactics will be the aim of the game defeating the enemies ability to fight, so that if I do engage in a siege or a pitched battle my forces will win with the minimal of casualties. If I enter into a pitched battle it will be when I know I can destroy my enemy's means of warfare so I can inflict on them what ever treaty my sovereign desires.

If SBS does do something stupid like this I'll just not prosecute my soldiers (and thus have them not pay any penalty) and I'm sure any sensible noble will do the same.

Coming Soon(tm)