COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Graveyards

It would be kinda cool for villages and towns to have the ability to have graveyards for their dead, would be a cool meta thing where you could visit your previous characters graves, or maybe even having the option of being buried at the family estate or something along those lines. :D What are your thoughts on this? ^-^

Edit: Cities could have catacombs and or grave chambers, and if said city is abandoned it could turn into some sort of dungeon over time or something. :D

9/7/2016 10:33:52 AM #1

The building system in Chronicles of Elyria is really about what you place in a room. If you place sarcophagi and things like that in the room, then effectively you’ve created a crypt or a mausoleum or something like that. There are coffins, there are things like that that you can use to hold the dead in; even above ground, entombed in concrete and things like that. I mean really, use your creativity.

[Source - Q&A Feb 27th]

It has also been confirmed you can burn your dead, which I would like to opt for please as I think leaving bodies around might be oddly risky here! However, a graveyard with bodies buried (rather than in crypts) would likely depend on if we reach the stretch goal for tunnelling at $1.75mil or perhaps even burying $2mil. But, even if they are not reached we are going to have to decide what we are doing with bodies of the dead because they are not just going to despawn.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

9/7/2016 12:44:05 PM #2

Also, wasn't undead hinted at being a possibility?

9/7/2016 12:47:31 PM #3

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 10:33 AM - Wed Sep 07 2016

The building system in Chronicles of Elyria is really about what you place in a room. If you place sarcophagi and things like that in the room, then effectively you’ve created a crypt or a mausoleum or something like that. There are coffins, there are things like that that you can use to hold the dead in; even above ground, entombed in concrete and things like that. I mean really, use your creativity.

[Source - Q&A Feb 27th]

It has also been confirmed you can burn your dead, which I would like to opt for please as I think leaving bodies around might be oddly risky here! However, a graveyard with bodies buried (rather than in crypts) would likely depend on if we reach the stretch goal for tunnelling at $1.75mil or perhaps even burying $2mil. But, even if they are not reached we are going to have to decide what we are doing with bodies of the dead because they are not just going to despawn.

I would hope that burying instead of burning plays a role in Religion, otherwise everyone will just burn bodies and leave nothing like catacombs or monuments etc..

9/7/2016 1:26:27 PM #4

Yeah a game that focuses on characters being able to die but not having graveyards for dead characters seems silly to me. Maybe they will just do everything above ground no matter what level of money they get.

9/7/2016 4:06:57 PM #5

Sigh...

Time to get my shovel

Praise the First Melon!

9/8/2016 12:38:03 AM #6

I

9/8/2016 1:10:17 AM #7

I would assume there is going to be graveyards simply because of the Kickstarter Tiers. I can't recall which one but I know one of them gives you the ability to choose a name to be put on one of the Headstones.

10/9/2016 6:56:19 AM #8

I not sure about if there will be any form of necromancy but wondering to a neighboring village/town and re-animating the dead (concentrated in a graveyard) would be pretty neat imo.

10/9/2016 8:03:43 AM #9

Alternative methods of dealing with corpses besides burial could also be interesting. Disposal at sea, sky burial, perhaps ashes from cremation could be kept in specific ways. Maybe ritual cannibalism could even be interesting (although I doubt that last one).

Also known as AvA in Discord.

10/9/2016 8:48:43 AM #10

Imagine a couple generation down the track and digging up the grave of one of your past selves to loot a bit of memorabilia you buried yourself in? "Ohh that's where I left that ring. I wondered what happened to it.".

Imgur Imgur

10/11/2016 1:36:52 AM #11

Posted By Sharielane at 03:48 AM - Sun Oct 09 2016

Imagine a couple generation down the track and digging up the grave of one of your past selves to loot a bit of memorabilia you buried yourself in? "Ohh that's where I left that ring. I wondered what happened to it.".

You can't bury yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurarihyon#/media/File:Suuhi_Nurarihyon.jpg Master Merchant

10/11/2016 1:59:04 AM #12

Posted By Nurarihyon at 8:36 PM - Mon Oct 10 2016

Posted By Sharielane at 03:48 AM - Sun Oct 09 2016

You can't bury yourself.

well i mean if you let yourself die in a hole

~May Melon be with you~

10/11/2016 2:02:40 AM #13

This is actually pretty interesting to think about.

At launch, the world is meant to have already existed for a fair while, so graveyards will already exist. From there the game is meant to take place over a 10 year in real life. If a character lives an average of a little over a year (10 months that they are inhabited by players, plus the time it takes them to come of age) that means that by the time the game closes around 11 generations of PCs and NPCs will have died, and probably need to be interred.

Now, a lot of these deaths won't end up with the body properly interred. Say there's a battle, and the bodies of enemy soldiers are thrown into a mass grave, or maybe somebody dies in the woods and their body is just left to rot. Any number of things could happen. Even then, a number of cemeteries are going to fall into neglect over time. Maybe the town gets razed in a war, maybe the land gets repurposed.

But, in a capital city, that has a well maintained place to store the dead this could be big business. The wiki says that a capital has 250+ citizens. So, if a city of 300 people cycles through it's populace 11 times, they're going to need to find room for 3,300 bodies, give or take. I'm assuming that those that the number of people who don't get buried in the city's graveyard balances out the number of people who die in disasters and attacks.

It's cool to imagine the towering mausoleums and ossuaries that might spring up.

11/13/2016 4:00:08 AM #14

Put my vote in for graverobbing as a means to acquire bodies for research, items buried with the dead, etc. Along with this the requisite negatives associated with commiting a crime and or evil act.

11/13/2016 9:52:28 PM #15

It would be pretty sweet if amassing a graveyard of X size was the prerequisite for a world event... where the dead rise to walk the earth once again. That'll teach you "civilized" folk to not bury your dead and instead burn the bodies. Unless, a body pyre of X size was the prerequisite for a world event... where the dead rise from the ashes as shambling infernos.

Well, balls...