COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Drowning permadeath is exploitable

Can't you use drowing (instant perma-death) to bypass the aging system completely? What stops me from trying to have kids around my 20's so when I am 40 and about to lose physical stats I can just suicide in the water and go to my kid. This also allows you go through adolescence again (increased rate of skill) AND with your skill ramp meaning they would also train skills faster than a player who played his entire life. Seems unfair.

I don't know anymore.

9/23/2016 8:30:55 PM #16

Choosing to remain in the Astral Plane indefinitely always results in death, no matter how you go about doing it.

As others have stated, however, your skill ramps in your next life are a function of how long you live and how hard you train in your previous life.

So while you might restart earlier, you'll ultimately have a lower maximum skill cap than you otherwise would. As well, to reach master/grandmaster in an earlier life, requires the boon you obtain from teaching as an older character.

In the absence of that, it'll take more lives to attain that level of mastery.

Can you suicide to start over sooner? Yes. Does it really provide any benefit from a statistical point of view? No. Not really.

Does it allow you to spend more time as a "younger" character? Yes. Does it cost extra money year over year to achieve? Yes.

9/23/2016 9:05:12 PM #17

Definitely wouldn't see it as a bonus to die earlier, and it has nothing to do with drowning. I could see a good point in dying a few days or weeks earlier, just for convenience and planning purposes, but there are too many benefits of living out a long and healthy life for it to be an ideal gameplay path.

The only reason I would say it's a good idea is if you as a player just don't find the idea of getting old and playing a slightly more social game for a while appealing. If you wanna off yourself early and get right back into fighting-fit, then go for it, just know that you'll never have as good a character as someone who experiences the entire game!

9/23/2016 9:28:35 PM #18

I think the mistake people are making hear is assuming the young body's higher physical stats are more important and useful than the old mans higher skills.
In most games attributes are just better to have on a 1 for 1 bases with about any other statistic.
However I believe I read that Caspain put skill (character skill) above attributes in determining factors for success.

9/23/2016 9:36:30 PM #19

I'm not sure if you understand this but if you lose your "physical attributes" the first set of your attributes you get new attributes a second set. They all help out thru your advancement in the game no says that hitting a training dummy 24/7 gives you an advancement in your expertise to increase your sword training or spear training. The older you are maybe your character experiences more with little work. In the end it all balances out and there's nothing about being younger being OP.

9/24/2016 2:43:58 AM #20

Posted By Falendor at 5:28 PM - Fri Sep 23 2016

However I believe I read that Caspain put skill (character skill) above attributes in determining factors for success.

Yeah to an extent. At some point though there will be a cut off. Aging slowly puts a handicap on you past 45. Meaning it will become harder and harder to win physical match ups as you continue. Could you in theory outskill the handicap? yeah, theoretically a MLG player can out skill anything handicapping them, but in practice it may be harder than it's thought to be.

Posted By Caspian at 4:30 PM - Fri Sep 23 2016

So while you might restart earlier, you'll ultimately have a lower maximum skill cap than you otherwise would. As well, to reach master/grandmaster in an earlier life, requires the boon you obtain from teaching as an older character.

In the absence of that, it'll take more lives to attain that level of mastery.

Ah I guess I overestimated how much you could get done during youth alone. I thought that using repeated adolescence and grinding you would be able to hit higher caps but it would seem not. That's good to know.

I don't know anymore.

9/24/2016 11:45:18 PM #21

The only way to exploit drowning would be to kidnap someone, knock them out cold and then toss them in a lake tied up.

Friend Code: 92BF2D

9/24/2016 11:56:15 PM #22

Posted By Dumont at 4:45 PM - Sat Sep 24 2016

The only way to exploit drowning would be to kidnap someone, knock them out cold and then toss them in a lake tied up.

And here is where our bounty token / justice system with alleged "carrying" of players as prisoners by other players becomes very flawed...

Anyone who commits any crime of any degree that earns them a bounty token can never go near deep water, because if they're caught, all it takes is for a group of people to go "incap--tie up--throw over board--permadeath"

9/25/2016 12:50:33 AM #23

Drowning people is a suuuuper awesome way to dispatch justice, it would definitely create a nice and courteous population... all too afraid to fart in the off chance they may offend.

OP: I find it hard to imagine myself trading off the later part of my characters life so that I may be marginally better at combat, you may miss your entire destiny just because you want to stay at your physical peak. There is something that is way more satisfying to me being victorious as an underdog rather than having all the cards stacked in my favor and then winning. The guy who kills a bunny with a machine gun is not a cool as the guy to kills a shark with a crayon.

9/25/2016 2:28:13 AM #24

Posted By Vucar at 7:56 PM - Sat Sep 24 2016

And here is where our bounty token / justice system with alleged "carrying" of players as prisoners by other players becomes very flawed...

Anyone who commits any crime of any degree that earns them a bounty token can never go near deep water, because if they're caught, all it takes is for a group of people to go "incap--tie up--throw over board--permadeath"

I don't think that is avoidable without a gmod "arrest baton" that just tp's you to jail. Any system where even law enforcement can move players is up for exploit. Like the player above me said, I could use drowning as punishment.

I don't know anymore.

9/25/2016 6:10:24 AM #25

Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 7:28 PM - Sat Sep 24 2016

I don't think that is avoidable without a gmod "arrest baton" that just tp's you to jail. Any system where even law enforcement can move players is up for exploit. Like the player above me said, I could use drowning as punishment.

That's precisely why i think SBS should discard the idea of any players being able to forcibly carry any other players any distance or for any amount of time whatsoever.

9/25/2016 7:44:39 AM #26

Posted By Vucar at 07:10 AM - Sun Sep 25 2016

Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 7:28 PM - Sat Sep 24 2016

That's precisely why i think SBS should discard the idea of any players being able to forcibly carry any other players any distance or for any amount of time whatsoever.

It's a shame, I think it's such a cool mechanic, but unfortunately humans are humans and some people will abuse it.

As long as, like they plan, people can only move tied up people directly to the local jail I think it should be alright. It's stuff that can be tested in alpha and beta.

9/25/2016 8:01:50 AM #27

Posted By Barghest at 03:44 AM - Sun Sep 25 2016

As long as, like they plan, people can only move tied up people directly to the local jail I think it should be alright. It's stuff that can be tested in alpha and beta.

>

True but what dictates "directly" to jail. Their could be any water resource between you and the jail, man-made or natural. Even if the system was so specific that you could only travel in a straight line DIRECTLY to the jail, What stops a mayor, magistrate, etc from just building a mote of water around the jail. That way no matter where you come from, the guards would be able to just dunk you in the mote.

Solution: I think the only fair system would be for a player to lose all bindings and incapitation on contact with water that would induce swimming/breathing underwater.

I don't know anymore.

9/25/2016 9:47:51 AM #28

Posted By Xyberviri at 9:05 PM - Fri Sep 23 2016

You can be sure any type of drowning mechanic will be abused :D

Either were going to use it to perma death people we want to punish or people can use it to kill off their own character.

That's not exactly true. You won't be able to force anyone to board a ship so you can then kill him at sea. As a punishment it won't work unless as part of a justice system... but I don't think that would be something implemented... but well who knows.

9/25/2016 1:20:46 PM #29

Posted By Rhaegys at 05:47 AM - Sun Sep 25 2016

Posted By Xyberviri at 9:05 PM - Fri Sep 23 2016

You can be sure any type of drowning mechanic will be abused :D

Either were going to use it to perma death people we want to punish or people can use it to kill off their own character.

That's not exactly true. You won't be able to force anyone to board a ship so you can then kill him at sea. As a punishment it won't work unless as part of a justice system... but I don't think that would be something implemented... but well who knows.

Your thinking way too close minded lol. You can transport criminals in wagons. Wagons can board ships. RIP. "Oh man, did you see that? The ship "swayed in the storm" and the wagon just fell in the water. Too bad it had our prisoner in it". Plus, no one said anything about ships in the first place. Drowning doesn't require a sea. It needs water.

No one said being apart of the written law. "Oh man, that criminal tried to make a run for it and "fell" into the lake. Too bad his hands were tied, he couldn't swim."

When your discussing game mechanics you can't just look at the systems in place for face value and say "because it isn't implemented it can't happen". Exploiters and abusers LOVE those people.

You need to dig a bit deeper and say how can the current mechanics lead to ones that aren't purposely implemented but provided back end access through exploitation of current mechanics.

I don't know anymore.

9/25/2016 1:38:35 PM #30

The deep bottomless water that leads to permadeath only exists in the deep sea. Been mentioned by caspian many times as its a mechanic to make sea travel meaningful.

If someone drowns in a lake they can still spirit walk to their body so can respawn.

The reason deep water is permanent death is because the victim cannot rejoin their body.

You can only bind someone on whom you have a bounty token and bonds on hands and feet also will fall off if the victim isn't taken directly to the nearest courthouse. This has also been mentioned.

Your latest round of what ifs cannot happen Flame.