COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Mount/pet character relationship

So if I recall correctly fame is a mechanic in the game that can affect your relationship with NPC's, whether or not they recognize you, etc. I'm curious if anyone has heard if there will be a similar system for your mounts/pets to recognize you, maybe linked to the taming skill. For instance, say you ride into town on a mount and tie it up outside a tavern/inn/shop, it makes sense a thief could try to steal it. However, could the mount have some kind of loyalty to it's owner and try to somewhat resist the person trying to steal it?

10/16/2016 12:49:50 AM #1

Good question - I would imagine they would fight back or run away. Hopefully, they are harder to domesticate than their wild counterparts making it less attractive to thieves.

Hopefully, mounts are unstealable in certain areas. Like the home stable....they will fight until they are killed.

If not, I can see mount stealing being popular during off-peak hours.

.....and then I'll smash it with a hammer!!!

10/17/2016 5:34:29 AM #2

Animals in this game are much like other NPCs. Each species has it's own characteristics, and I'd imagine the AI corresponding to each animal would be unique, to a certain extent. This makes me think that some of the creatures would become loyal, similar to how dogs do in our world. Horses, on the other hand, don't often become as attached and connected as dogs, making me think that mounts would similarly be less likely to be loyal, depending on how you've treated the animal, the intelligence of the species, as well as the temperament of the thief.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

-Plato

10/17/2016 9:32:37 PM #3

Loyalty was probably the wrong word, maybe trust? I don't expect a horse to become attached to my character and try to fight off somebody, but maybe just be a bit less responsive or harder to control. Just something small to try and deter common people from stealing mounts. If the thief had experience taming animals though they wouldn't have to deal with those little difficulties. There very well may be nothing like this being implemented and that's fine, just thought it'd an interesting mechanic to bring up.