COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Tobii Eye Tracking Technology

I have been following an interesting technology that allows players to use their eyes for different mechanics in games. For example, The Division has Tobii Eye Tracking mechanics built in so that players can target their enemies, take cover, and even pan their screen left and right. I think this would be an amazing feature (screen panning) to add into CoE that would further increase immersion for players as well as the overall story. Below is a link showing how Tobii Eye Tracking works with The Division. Yes, I know The Division is a different type of game, however, Tobii Eye Tracking works with a variety of games like DayZ, Arma III, Assassins Creed, and many other games. This technology does not require a headset or any item attached to your person. Below is a link to their official website demonstrating how Tobii Eye Tracking works.

What does the community and developers think about this technology?

https://tobiigaming.com/games/the-division/?v=7516fd43adaa

Remember, perfection in one life is not attainable, but if we chase perfection perhaps we can catch excellence in a later life. Keep your head up, believe in yourself, and you can achieve your dreams. - Drenian

11/1/2016 8:33:51 AM #1

Although I think it's a cool concept, I don't think many pvpers would use this technology. I think VR would be awesome in a game like this but I also believe it's not at that stage in which its viable for pvping.

I mean, the response times, chances of unresponsive Ness, etc. would cause even more risk in a game that ages and you lose game time as you die.

It also adds another aspect to the game that forces players to purchase more top of the line Webcams. No cheap Logitechs. Me personally, I also enjoy reclining and playing games in the dark. That said, the positioning and background settings would not be to my liking.

Long story short, it's a costly addon to the game but would be pretty cool to implement this type of VR for when I'm walking around towns and such. It is the way gaming is headed anyway. VR supported games that is.

11/1/2016 8:34:49 AM #2

VR is a long way off, it'll get good in 5 years, but this stuff is still so buggy.

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

11/2/2016 12:05:34 AM #3

I am sure it will improve and has some bugs. I think the feature that is the most interesting is panning the screen left and right using your eyes. I think this would increase immersion drastically even if it is the only Tobii feature put into the game.

Remember, perfection in one life is not attainable, but if we chase perfection perhaps we can catch excellence in a later life. Keep your head up, believe in yourself, and you can achieve your dreams. - Drenian