COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Bardic Characters!

I've read a lot about folks wanting to play characters of the bardic persuasion-- use this thread to talk about those characters! Who are they? What bardic skill/s do they aspire to? What are they besides a bard? What are their goals?

I'm planning an astronomer and cartographer who travels the desert, mapping what she can and settling down with an instrument to play when she camps out in the evenings. Astronomy is what she considers her way of making sense of the world!

10/17/2016 5:19:40 PM #1

Bardic skills are one of the biggest draws (in a long list) that are making me very excited for this game. I will be purchasing the Count pack very soon and plan to focus my new noble on the hard if traditions.

Count Carric Fangrel will be first and foremost a musician. I will be doing everything in my power to make my county a center of arts and culture of all kinds. Aside from music, I also plan to delve into Astrology and some minor archery skills for his hunting hobby in some yet unnamed nearby woodland area.

Since I want to set my county up as a center for arts, culture, and beautiful crafts, any other bards, craftsmen, or others interested in such a haven are welcome to contact me for more information.

10/17/2016 5:36:04 PM #2

IIRC bardic skills belong to the same skill tree as map making, criminal investigation and scribing.

10/17/2016 5:49:40 PM #3

I'm hoping to run either a ranch or an orchard on the side, but as a mayor, I thought focusing on scribing and contract writing would be an important aspect of running a town that I should focus on. Being able to write contracts, perform marriages, and help settle disputes could come in handy.

I started up a little website, www.bardsofelyria.com, that I hope will grow as we know more!

10/17/2016 5:58:23 PM #4

It amuses me that bureaucrats are considered bards here, huhu.

I'll be a scribe, scholar, and cartographer which supposedly are all bardic skills.

I'm curious what skill group architect will fall under, it seems to fit under the bardic skills too as it's technically an artistic job that uses pen and paper, but it hasn't been officially classified as far as I know. Would be excellent if it is as I plan to dabble in that as well.

10/17/2016 8:08:38 PM #5

Teland, love the site! I actually had it bookmarked already. :)

I like that bardic skills encompass some of the language-science-art triad, it gives the role of "bard" a lot of versatility.

10/17/2016 8:51:47 PM #6

Teland, I love the site as well! It definitely has promise! Thank you for taking the initiative on that. With the arts and sharing of out collective creative skills we can mold Elyria into a realm of beauty!

10/17/2016 8:56:42 PM #7

I'm looking into play as some sort of traveling musician. And that may maybe publish ingame books about my travels in Elyria.

10/17/2016 9:22:21 PM #8

Directly, I'm planning to play my count as a scribe. But my county is meant to be a place for people of all bardic professions, as well as crafters.

But, you already know that Cruset.

10/17/2016 9:27:37 PM #9

Posted By Cruset at 1:08 PM - Mon Oct 17 2016

Teland, love the site! I actually had it bookmarked already. :)

I like that bardic skills encompass some of the language-science-art triad, it gives the role of "bard" a lot of versatility.

Posted By Malakaid at 1:51 PM - Mon Oct 17 2016

Teland, I love the site as well! It definitely has promise! Thank you for taking the initiative on that. With the arts and sharing of out collective creative skills we can mold Elyria into a realm of beauty!

Thank you both for your kind words! Please feel free to use my Contact page there, or the forums, if you have any ideas for content you think should be added. I want it to be a good resource for us!

10/18/2016 9:23:54 PM #10

I picture my character as a sort of cultural/religious anthropolist who journeys across the realm recording the various mythologies and customs present in Elyria. So Scribing, Forensics, Linguistics, and Cartography will obviously be important skills for me. Tho I'll need survival and combat skills as I myself will be out searching for artifacts etc. My dream would be to found a library such as that of Alexandria housing ancient texts and artifacts to be preserved for the generations after us.

Just a wandering soul looking for a place to lay his head
                                                      Friend Code: 92F438

English/Spanish/Portuguese
10/25/2016 6:52:39 PM #11

I would love to play a bardic character that owns a tavern, swaps stories with travelers, and entertains patrons with music. Of course, having a private library and being paid in rare books might also be a draw.

11/7/2016 5:28:26 PM #12

Any Kvothes? Would love to go on an adventure with a Kvothe xP

11/21/2016 2:34:10 AM #13

thinking of being a Scholar/Cartographer with a few skills in linguistics and a love for alchemy.

1/25/2017 2:30:22 PM #14

I'm all in for language, music, and astrology... I want to be the fluent translator for all the texts in the land, knowing the ancient languages for the rare tomes, and playing music is a hobby of mine. Astrology just sounds cool ^^ But I also really want to be a farmer who breeds animals and has a side garden to make food from. Do you think I'll be able to learn all of these skills or will I have to choose a few to master?

1/25/2017 4:05:29 PM #15

Posted By ShadowTani at 6:58 PM - Mon Oct 17 2016

It amuses me that bureaucrats are considered bards here, huhu.

I'll be a scribe, scholar, and cartographer which supposedly are all bardic skills.

I'm curious what skill group architect will fall under, it seems to fit under the bardic skills too as it's technically an artistic job that uses pen and paper, but it hasn't been officially classified as far as I know. Would be excellent if it is as I plan to dabble in that as well.

It makes perfect sense really. Bards were often associated with making up fiction. These days beaurocrats are associated with the same thing.