COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
The Arkadian Archives

The Arkadian Archives

Heavy iron-bound double doors blocked the path forward. The scholar knocked, feeling like a child as he did so dwarfed by doors that stood the height of three menn. His first knock was quiet, as the wood was thick and did not resound. The second knock, louder than before yet still too quiet. A third time he tried rapping his knuckles against the dark stained wood. Then he waited.

No response came from beyond that threshold. He tried again, his knocks even louder. His hand was starting to hurt. Finally he resorted to banging at the door with all his might, kicking and screaming to get inside. It was his first time in this place and he'd only recently gotten permission to enter these sacred vaults.

His throat hoarse and hand throbbing he stopped as he heard something from beyond. The door on his left began to move, inching outwards slowly.

"Yes?" A frail voice asked from between the crack. He tried to see who it was but couldn't tell.

"I have permission to access the Archives." The scholar responded, fishing out a signed document.

"And?"

"Well I want to enter."

A pause, heavy and slow.

"You may enter." The frail voice replied. "But you'll have to get the door open yourself. I'm not as strong as I once was and these damned things play havoc with my joints."

The scholar gripped the inset iron ring and pulled, surprised by how easily the doors opened.

The sight confronting him was astounding enough to take even his experienced breath away. Beyond the doorway stood row upon row of bookcases, scroll racks and glass cases.

The old man who'd greeted him gave a gap toothed smile. "Quite the sight ain't she? A real beauty, the like you'll not find elsewhere." The scholar could only nod as he saw the vast treasure trove of knowledge spread before him. The bookcases stood as high as a giant and each and every shelf was full to bursting. "Welcome." The old man said. "To the Arkadian Archives. The largest collection of knowledge this side of the world."

The scholar could still not find it within him to respond. His feet were itching to run through the stacks, his eyes hungry to devour every word written there.

"By the way, what was all that business with knocking and banging? Gave me quite a fright and woke me from my nap." "Well I but recently managed to petition the King to grant me access." The scholar said offhandedly.

The old man laughed, a veritable cackle of wheezing amusement.

"What's so funny?" asked the scholar, feeling slightly offended. He'd gone to a lot of trouble to gain access to the King. A lot of money spent on bribes, hobnobbing with the aristocracy and plying dignitaries with the best food and wine.

"The Archives are open to all, you never need permission to come here and read. Knowledge is meant to be shared, not hoarded like a miser's purse. So pick up a volume and start reading if you so please. I'm gonna go back to sleep, wake me if you need anything. "

The old man walked back to his desk.

"There's a few entry level volumes on the table in the corner. Might want to start with those, oh and then there's this little beauty." said the old man slapping a thick leather bound tome the size of a chest. "The Index. Any book you want to find, you'll find it in her. If she gives you any trouble just wake me, I can always coax it out of the old girl."

The scholar nodded off-handedly and walked over to the far table. Scattered in a heap a few volumes caught his eye.

The Chronicles of Arkadia:

How I Got Recruited Into Arkadia by Scylurus

Taming the Citadel Baron by Scylurus

An ode to the Peasant King by Scylurus

How I saw the Tale of the Capricious Peasant Count by Scylurus

The Mad Doctor by Datesandwich

Peace and the drunk town crier by Scylurus

Market day and the Contract Harlot by Scylurus

Arkadia Answers to Zultra by Scylurus

Kingdom of Zygethia Marches to War

Dead man's boots part 1 by Scylurus

Dance of the Wraith by Deitzia aka Mysticazia

The Tale of the Drunken Trison by Scylurus

The Story of Safreti by Lazero

Arkadia Rises by Scylurus

Collected Arkadian Folktales and Poems

11/3/2016 10:22:08 PM #1

The chronicler and master penman of Arkadia Scylurus produces wonderful articles that strengthens the mind and enhances the bond one has for the Arkadian Kingdom. Hail!

12/3/2016 11:50:32 PM #2

updated list

12/21/2016 3:25:21 AM #3

It's missing Safreti story :p

12/21/2016 2:41:18 PM #4

Posted By Raziel at 05:25 AM - Wed Dec 21 2016

It's missing Safreti story :p

Aye, just added it. Must've missed it :D

1/6/2017 4:05:24 PM #5

Your stories are so well thought out, I honestly enjoy reading them.

1/29/2017 1:11:04 AM #6

Posted By Sanguinesh Eviscerator at 6:05 PM - Fri Jan 06 2017

Your stories are so well thought out, I honestly enjoy reading them.

Thanks, a new batch will be forthcoming at a future point in time so stay tuned!

5/23/2017 3:06:10 PM #7

updated with a few poems :D