COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Forensics and blood

Are there different blood types in the game? The reason I ask is blood at a crime scene could then be collected and mixed with a chemical to test for type. For example, Type A burned blue, Type AB- burns yellow, etc. Then we could have a more immersive experience solving violent crimes if the victim was able to cut their attacker(s). It would also require criminals to try and cover their tracks better.

10/22/2016 3:53:27 AM #1

I had no idea organic chemistry was so developed in Elyria.

10/22/2016 3:58:41 AM #2

I imagine foresics would start out with things you could see with the naked eye, like something dropped or a blood spatter. After that, maybe advances could be developed with alchemy as time goes on for reactive testing, or a glassblower could develop something like a magnifying lens or microscope over time.

Also known as AvA in Discord.

10/22/2016 4:43:32 AM #3

Actually Vugar, blood types were discovered over 100 years ago in the real world. Taking the limits of technological advancement at the time with a low fantasy world of Elyria, organic chemistry should be that advanced. It is Elyria, not the dark ages.

10/22/2016 5:39:09 AM #4

Posted By Nazrab at 9:43 PM - Fri Oct 21 2016

Actually Vugar, blood types were discovered over 100 years ago in the real world. Taking the limits of technological advancement at the time with a low fantasy world of Elyria, organic chemistry should be that advanced. It is Elyria, not the dark ages.

The discovery of blood types was also around the same time as the invention of modern locomotive tanks...

Qualitative analysis tests like flame emission spectroscopy (burning of chemicals to aid in determining an unknown) weren't developed until the end of the 19th century.

I've actually done organic chem labs that use these techniques to determine unknowns. The science behind making use of tests like these is extremely recent, relatively speaking.

Are you under the assumption that CoE is going to be a World War 1 era mmo?

10/22/2016 6:49:08 AM #5

Posted By Vucar at 01:39 AM - Sat Oct 22 2016

Posted By Nazrab at 9:43 PM - Fri Oct 21 2016

The discovery of blood types was also around the same time as the invention of modern locomotive tanks...

Qualitative analysis tests like flame emission spectroscopy (burning of chemicals to aid in determining an unknown) weren't developed until the end of the 19th century.

I've actually done organic chem labs that use these techniques to determine unknowns. The science behind making use of tests like these is extremely recent, relatively speaking.

Are you under the assumption that CoE is going to be a World War 1 era mmo?

I mean for forensics to be it's own skill it's gonna need more than look around and point fingers at people. The tech is either gonna be skewed or magic lol.

I don't know anymore.

10/22/2016 6:58:13 AM #6

If we are being 100% realistic in the timeline I feel like crimes will be OP. I'm not a historian but after a bit of learning none of the methods they used could 100% identify a criminal. They could get leads and interrogate the surround people until something came up which is probably the least reliable way to do it.

In CoE if I murder someone from Town A, switch disguises to a well reputed travelling merchant casually riding out of town making his rounds, by the time the guy I murdered came back i would probably already be out of town. Unless someone knew the merchant, with medieval tech their is no way to pin me to it unless you forced a confession. Even then, how would you name a well reputed simple merchant as a murder suspect in the first place without a witness? You cant.

I don't know anymore.

10/22/2016 8:19:04 AM #7

Forensics etc I believe if being added maybe would be later on down the story when cities start advancing etc

10/22/2016 9:37:01 AM #8

Or start off rather rudimentary like noticing footprints, dropped hair or clothing fibres, or smudges of dirt or soot, etc. Over time slowly progressing onto more advanced forms with the help of research.

Imgur Imgur

10/22/2016 10:11:05 AM #9

I don't think forensics was intended to imply blood type testing lol.

Forensics includes any sorts of detective work. In a simple fantasy setting that may well imply footprints, scraps of cloth, hair or basically the insinuation that if anyone looked at a crime scene for a while, they would get an increasing idea of who the culprit was. If you want to justify it in RL terms, you might have traces of blood on your clothing, hair, nails and any other sort of fine details that most medieval people wouldn't give much consideration.

A witness will make the job simple. If there is just "partial evidence", the game play effect might be that guards briefly stop X% of people or briefly check people they pass. If you go close enough, you're nicked.

I don't know if they will go into infinite depth, picking out hairs, scraps of cloth, footprints etc. That runs the risk of blowing out the development of that feature excessively to a level that doesn't add much value, and potentially eating into the rest of the game play features.

10/22/2016 3:34:03 PM #10

How would a hair help you -_-

or a footprint

If your trying to find someone who already went to the next town, your fucked.

I don't know anymore.

10/22/2016 4:51:47 PM #11

Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 10:34 AM - Sat Oct 22 2016

How would a hair help you -_-

or a footprint

If your trying to find someone who already went to the next town, your fucked.

*You're

:)

.....and then I'll smash it with a hammer!!!

10/22/2016 5:07:10 PM #12

If there is a murder, that might cause guards to be more skeptical of disguises.

When questioned: Guards might give a clue about a 'suspicious' person. And then list off a characteristic about all the people wearing disguises that they crossed paths with over the last hour.

A hair could tell you what color hair the person has.

Shoe prints could potentially give approximate estimate of characters height and size.

All together, the computer will be doing the computer work. So the computer combines clues and possible witness accounts as you gather them so when you analyze someone it will say there is a 50% chance or 13% or 87% chance it could be this person.

There will be a couple different kind of murderers:

1) Random, only one, just passing through town etc. Almost impossible to uncover.

2) A local with a grudge. Combined with clues and reputation interactions and repeated interactions....might eventually determine who it is but still unlikely due to only killing once. Repeated interactions with a disguise increase the likekyhood of seeing through it...so again the reputation might reveal a killer to the one whom they murdered.

3) Serial killer - the clues start adding up. Helping the detective zero in.

So yes, you could easily avoid capture for killing a random person once and moving on....but who stops at one?

Also, this isn't skyrim with a little eye telling you if someone sees you. There's always a chance that an NPC or PC has line of sight from a location you did not see. Thus adding more clues to the database for the forensics skill to build up clues. Even to the point of hearing a scream in a certain direction and you run from that direction and stumble across someone walking down the trail who heard the scream.

Or a farmer who saw three people pass by that day in the area where the murder took place.

There are ways to design a system that adds up the clues to help and figuring out who it was. Not to mention you get to witness your own murderer.

Forensics

.....and then I'll smash it with a hammer!!!

10/22/2016 5:24:21 PM #13

The game doesn't tell you who has a disguise so how can they be skeptical of disguise wearers?

In my scenario above, I kill someone in their house. Go to an empty room, switch disguises, and leave. If they find a hair it won't likely match my hair color of my disguise (dye), foot prints won't work because I have different shoes, and all a witness would see is some random leaving a house.

Once I leave town I could just switch disguise kits agains so not even the witness records could help.

If forensics don't get some kind of help, law enforcement will only really work against people that stay in the settlement they commit the crime in. A expert disguise making traveling bandit seems to have a crazy advantage on escaping the law nearly invincible.

I don't know anymore.