COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Replace soulmate with...

..Fated twins..or twins of fate.

When 2 are born under the same star at the precise same moment or perhaps they are born from the same fate as each other had in the previous life. This could mean they were born with some sort of mutual skill set or perhaps it was just kisment that bound there souls alike. Also the division of romance is removed as it returns the idea of these two souls to a sibling type status where as they could be the evil version of the other or perhaps aligned perfectly with morals.

The soulmate idea is good but it also puts a romantic overtone to the idea. With the twin fated or fate twin it resonates that when astral traveling back to ones body.

Also if they do turn out to be your bff...you would be their bffft. :)

Alt text - can be left blank

10/25/2016 3:52:39 PM #1

i think twin soul would sound pretty cool. :)

"your friend here is only mostly dead. there's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. mostly dead is slightly alive."

10/25/2016 4:09:01 PM #2

i like the idea though i wouldn't want to replace soulmate, rather add to it

the association of 'everlasting and profound love/romance/friendship' with the term 'soulmate' is very appealing to many and might put off a few

it's not a big deal to me personally

however if 'blood brother', 'blood sister', 'twin' or whatever could be added with little to no effort on the part of SBS, i'd support it

10/25/2016 4:27:48 PM #3

I really like this idea, but you have to keep soul-mates around...

Why am I picturing Jaime & Cersei Lannister all the sudden?

Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter backer #2!

10/25/2016 4:33:53 PM #4

Posted By Dleatherus at 5:09 PM - Tue Oct 25 2016

the association of 'everlasting and profound love/romance/friendship' with the term 'soulmate' is very appealing to many and might put off a few

The issue is there is a system in the game for exactly this situation. It is called Soul Linking. It nothing to do with being Soul Mates, despite the fact that when people think of Soul Mates they think of the situation you have described. Soul Mates are not a player choice, they are simply someone in the world that has the same soul as you. It is a rare occurrence and you could well end up as mortal enemies if your souls are now different alignments due to the paths you have chosen, hardly everlasting love!

I have seen the name changing being suggested a couple of times now and I really do think Soul Mates should be renamed to avoid confusion. Fated Twins does sound good.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

10/25/2016 5:07:21 PM #5

I like the idea of Fated Twins but I like the idea of Soulmates too.

Fated Twins being born (enter the world) at the same time (within a certain amount of time. Not every will have one.

Soulmates - souls that are linked?

I like both. Would like to see some sort of object or potion that helps you find your Fated Twin or Soulmate. Perhaps a crystal that pulsates when pointed in the right direction and pulsates faster the closer you get. If you don't have one then it simply doesn't glow at all.

.....and then I'll smash it with a hammer!!!

10/25/2016 5:09:29 PM #6

@VictoriaRachel

mmm - this is starting to make a bit more sense to me then - perhaps it's my preconceived notion of soul-linking/marriage mechanics in other mmo's where in some cases you received bonuses for having/adventuring with a soul partner

i'm both amused and alarmed by my ability to read some of SBS's DJ's and occasionally have my own internal filters change it to something different than what i read!

10/25/2016 5:12:29 PM #7

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 08:33 AM - Tue Oct 25 2016

I have seen the name changing being suggested a couple of times now and I really do think Soul Mates should be renamed to avoid confusion. Fated Twins does sound good.

I have a soulmate in real life who's not a romantic partner. Although we're opposite genders. We'll never date, nor do we want to, but every facet of my life she cheers for me, every failure she supports me. She's a very important person in my life and always will be. We're spiritually connected, although not physically. Its hard to say the best might be to describe her as someone who should of been in my family of sorts, but wasn't actually born to it.

Although ultimately many people don't experience this, they expeirence "conventional" soulmates with romantic connotations. I have in the past as well, but mine has passed on which is why i've develoepd my understanding that not all "soulmates" are romantic related.

TL:DR I'm an emotionally damaged wreck who can understand both why it'd be confusing, but also why one shouldn't get stuck on the name. ;)

10/25/2016 6:33:57 PM #8

Pteroguin that sounds like your Souls are Bound in CoE terms (thought it was called linking oops), you might not be romantic but you are through choice incredibly close. That is a different mechanic in the game to Soul Mates.

Soul Binding is when two people choose to permanently link their souls and that gives bonuses the long they are together. Such as being able to share spirit loss. [Source]

Soul Mates are rare and random. You might be a good match, you might be exact opposites. So yes you could have a good relationship as you described but it could also make you mortal enemies. It is that enemies part that I do not think is at all clear with the name 'Soul Mate'. [Source]

It is not so much about romance but more the different aspects of Soul Mate that are just not communicated with that name.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

10/25/2016 6:41:18 PM #9

Oh, but our story isn't done. Maybe one day she'll want to fight? ;) I was just trying to explain that preconcieved perspectives on words sometimes ends up with horrible miscommunication.

Really your perspective is correct. Also you always cite sources, which is without a doubt why I adore seeing you respond to things.

10/25/2016 6:48:10 PM #10

The whole idea of soulmates is that there's someone out there that completes you. Your silly mortal perspective says that's romance. Touching, but wrong. In this Elyrian universe of reincarnating souls seeking enlightenment these two souls, whatever bodies they happen to be in, are a pair. Their current bodies could be far away, they could be enemies, they could be lovers. That doesn't really matter. These souls are paired on a level far above the human perspective; presumably because they need each other to reach enlightenment, or will need each other after they do. What's love got to do with it?

It's not a problem, it's a plot hook!

10/26/2016 5:52:48 AM #11

soul mate noun a person ideally suited to another as a close friend or romantic partner.

is the simplest definition. As everyone has in one way or another agreed it doesn't mean you are lovers or even friends in some cases. So the usage of soul mate seems to spark inevery ones mind this sense that a soul mate will be amiable to you at least. To which the devs even have said ,or hinted at, they may not be as it well could be another player. In this case one could feel sorta pinned into this notion they have a soul mate so they should be amicable to them. If this "soul mate" turns out to be a enemy that they have been chasing because of the murdering of their comrades it would certainly prove to not be a sense that this person is a soul mate. In fact, that situation would go to prove that the wording of soul mate doesn't fit at all. Twin fated or soul twin could just be some cosmic entwining meant that if they were to ever meet it would strengthen their bond supernaturally(astral beacon,bonuses in the presence of,possibly more upon development) to the point that they together could turn the tides of battle together, progress the story of the world, or become great arch-nemesis to each other that can only end in the destruction of the other.

To clarify , please put pro or con change of soul mate.

Alt text - can be left blank

10/26/2016 6:00:32 AM #12

I get confused between soulmate and soulbinding for precisely the connotations that soulmate implies. Namely, I equate soulmate with my RL fiancee and thus the romantic overtones of the nomenclature.

I would prefer Fated Astral Souls or Twins or something of the like, the mechs don't change but the name can easily be altered. ;)

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

11/1/2016 9:51:50 PM #13

I really like the idea of changing the system to the idea of the "twin", "blood brother/sister", etc... kind of thing.

Here is the deal. My real life wife and I will be playing this game together. We will be getting married. The idea of someone else out there that could have a stronger bond with one of us over the bond we currently share and will share in game as well seems int-eruptive.

So have this kind of "fated" twin I think is a cool concept.

11/6/2016 10:46:53 PM #14

i think of the name kindred souls for the soul twin thing. have soulmates be its own thing, eg if you marry the same player over and over again through out their lives then you form a bond that goes beyond mortal flesh. and maybe you guys could get bonuses for being near each other. so its like rewarding playing with your wife or what not. idk i read that this is frowned upon but i feel like a lot of people already have this idea. and i like the idea that you can build something with someone else the longer you two play together, or perhaps like become kindred souls with a group of players? idk its up in the air right now. but i like these ideas.

United we stand. Divided we fall. Friend Code: ABF605 Click my Banner to find out more