COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Surnames and Gentry

Will surnames be available to non-noble (gentry) characters or even wards of the state? I wasn't sure if this was discussed in another thread or not.

10/27/2016 11:01:20 PM #1

You will need Bloodline or higher to be able to chose your surname. I would guess choosing to be a ward isn't an obstacle to getting that custom surname as long as you have that tier.

The way it will work for nobles and aristocrats according to what the devs said in Discord is that they get to choose their family in their chosen starting settlement, that family will get ranked up accordingly. The player can then use their surname token to give themselves or their whole family their pre-validated surname.

I'm sure it won't be too different for other starting points, the tokens can be used at any time - but you do need Bloodline tier as a minimum.

10/28/2016 12:13:58 AM #2

Pay the $120 or join someone else family brah.

KS Backer #44

10/28/2016 1:12:51 AM #3

Also, surnames are not exclusive. FYI

.....and then I'll smash it with a hammer!!!

10/28/2016 1:58:58 AM #4

Okay, very helpful. Thank you.

11/2/2016 9:01:29 PM #5

Posted By Fergus Redbeard at 9:12 PM - Thu Oct 27 2016

Also, surnames are not exclusive. FYI

Are you positive about that? If people bought in at bloodline and up because of the ability to have a surname and then found that there were 5 other people with the same last name they might get a bit perturbed.

Hopefully it won't be an issue due to people choosing original names but things happen.

The Township of Bris, County Delgora. Friend Code B2CF9C Friend Code B2CF9C

11/2/2016 9:12:03 PM #6

To clarify, you don't have to pledge to Bloodline to HAVE a surname, just to choose your own. Otherwise, you get whatever your NPC parents have, for usual characters. You can perform great deeds to have that surname changed later (Although that new surname will likely be related to the deed, so not completely chosen either).

Also known as AvA in Discord.

11/2/2016 9:13:56 PM #7

As I saw it, seeing I got Bloodline myself, is that you get to choose your own, personal, surname that is limited to only you or members of your family.

11/3/2016 12:50:18 PM #8

They are personal to your family, but nonexclusive...so you may want to think about it before you pick something uber ordinary or popular...what you pick will be your families surname, but just as there are many unrelated families in our world with the name Smith or Jones or Brown, there can also be many in CoE that have identical names as well.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

12/1/2016 2:39:16 PM #9

What if I start as a Ward of the State, but have the bloodline tier? Will I be able to get a surname right from the start, or will I have to start a family and then use the token to change that families name?

The truth is born in argument

12/1/2016 3:41:22 PM #10

Posted By Luminios at 08:39 AM - Thu Dec 01 2016

What if I start as a Ward of the State, but have the bloodline tier? Will I be able to get a surname right from the start, or will I have to start a family and then use the token to change that families name?

You will have a token. If it works like items purchased with EP you have till the end of exposition to use it.

12/1/2016 4:37:02 PM #11

Posted By Luminios at 09:39 AM - Thu Dec 01 2016

The devs have not spoken about that exact situation what they did say is that not having a surname was part of the price to have more customization of your character

some people say that the players should have it anyways cause they paid for it

some say that it's a price to pay and that it's a price to pay and they would also like to have to customisation that a ward get but they can't cause of their title

I say that the bloodline perk should give you the same customization a ward or almost as much so the players like the look of the family they will be playing with for the next decade

12/3/2016 4:32:12 AM #12

Does anyone know how long the Bloodline pack will be available?

12/4/2016 2:23:12 PM #13

Posted By kajoreh at 07:50 AM - Thu Nov 03 2016

They are personal to your family, but nonexclusive...so you may want to think about it before you pick something uber ordinary or popular...what you pick will be your families surname, but just as there are many unrelated families in our world with the name Smith or Jones or Brown, there can also be many in CoE that have identical names as well.

I've not seen anything that said that your sir name wouldn't be Exclusive. But the next time I run across one of the SBS peeps on Discord I will be sure to ask.

I do think sir name will be exclusive to you as a player and your bloodline. Although I understand the real world experience. We do have a much smaller population than the planet does.

12/4/2016 2:24:48 PM #14

Posted By Johnno at 10:32 PM - Fri Dec 02 2016

Does anyone know how long the Bloodline pack will be available?

I'm not sure, the web-page upgrade should be going in soon and tiers / offers will change.

1/4/2017 8:12:07 AM #15

Custom Surnames should be exclusive and locked, only because this online world is so small that you wouldn't need so many people with the same surname. At that point, if you want your surname to be Smith but someone else already claimed it, you either choose another name or try to marry into that family.