COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Can food age and spoil as well?

So, similar to the way we grow old and die, can food have a time limit on its shelf life depending on where and how it's being stored? Or will we be able to just stockpile MASSIVE amounts of food, and then just live off of it for several months? I know in most cases, most foods several hundred years ago would have needed to be eaten only a day or so after their creation.

10/30/2016 4:52:16 PM #1

everything will rot, food included. but i guess, it will be a bit easier than realistic. with a day being about 2.5 hours, we would have to produce new food 3-5 times per rl day otherwise. and there will be lots of different types of food. obviously, a cake rots faster than travelrations or heavily salted/smoked fish. it will depend on storage and what type of food you use. salt/sugar is not going to rot, some food might transfer into poison over time. so there is a large area from no-problem-food over consume-within-weeks to consume-within-hours.

Friend Code: 30EF47

10/30/2016 4:54:16 PM #2

It has been mentioned that food can and will go bad if not properly prepared. You can not kill a an animal and just leave it in the store room for weeks on end till you need it. I will probably need to be processed in some way right away. The same goes for the harvest items, you can not leave your potatoes in storage for years on end and not expect them to go bad. The Devs have even mentioned Canning food which is a new twist for sure. How fast items go bad is yet unknown but I would assume each would have their own timers, potatoes lasting longer than an apple. Now this does not mean that they will not change their minds on the subject or tweak it in some way but for now, I believe that is how it works.

Just a note, you can check out the Improbable SpacialOS Engine explained by Bicycle Walrus which explains how everything in the game will be tracked individually.

DM21 Gaming link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zrrDUH-iTE

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

10/30/2016 4:55:15 PM #3

I hope food spoils and ages, but I feel that some sort of balance will have to be achieved in regards to the in-game time scale. If 7 days is a single Elyrian year, then most food would last only a few hours before being completely spoiled. Certain food would probably last longer, depending on how it was prepared.

Ideally, I believe some food (like raw ingredients) would have to be processed almost immediately, within 24 hours. I would use 24 hours rather than 2.5 hours (a proposed Elyrian day) in order to give merchants and trades people a little leeway when moving and selling goods. Once processed, perhaps some foods would last 24 hours, 4 days (a season), 7 days (a year), or last indefinitely (like some alcohol).

10/30/2016 8:36:40 PM #4

Haha sounds like stocking food is going to be a real pain.

10/31/2016 3:58:21 PM #5

Posted By Angrymonkeyboy at 3:36 PM - Sun Oct 30 2016

Haha sounds like stocking food is going to be a real pain.

Just means players will have to figure out a good supply and demand system: make X units of Y expecting to sell Z units of them to cover the cost of producing X units.