COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Creating Own Magic?

"There are whispers of Magic Use, the ability to Travel, Shapeshifting, Healing, Animal Speak, Planes Walking, and many other things, but they are quite rare, affecting less than 5% of players."

If there is magic in this game... Will you be able to create your own spells ( Combat spells, Stealth Spells, Healing spells, etc.) I personally believe it would be really cool. I have never seen or played an MMORPG where a player is given the opportunity to create there very own spell. If you are able to create your very own spell will only you be able to teach your friends or the heir to your accomplishments?

10/31/2016 4:15:43 PM #1

Even if you were able to create your own, you couldn't be able to teach your ability to anyone (although if you reincarnate into your heir or NPC "friends" then they/you would gain/still have magic powers).

I believe the way they are going to do it is design a number of abilities that "work" in a somewhat balanced manner in the game, with the game engine using those abilities to help push a dynamic story in the world.

10/31/2016 5:05:15 PM #2

Caspian has said that Magic would be very rare and would not be like other games where a mage throws fireballs or frostbolts repeatedly. So I am envisioning something more involved and more time consuming, something more ritual based. Something that may involve planning, gathering of items, preparation of those items, possibly waiting for a certain time to perform the ritual, cast the spell, or even summon. Something that actually takes time and effort, not just a special staff of fire.

There are a lot of unknowns in magic and talents as a whole. Talents were originally designed to help full holes in the story line or to help a player push through part of the story that he would otherwise not be able to do. So a Talent is a temporary (single lifetime) crutch to help the player within the story. So I don't think Magic as a Talent will be all that awe inspiring, it must balance with the game and story, though it will be cool. But keep one thing in mind with Talents, they have both a positive and negative aspect to them. For an example, you gain the magical ability of sight, foreseeing a little into the future, which is great. However the town folk think you are a devil and they refuse to sell or deal with you and possibly want to kill you on sight. Guess you gotta take the god with the bad.

But that is just may take or hopes for magic in CoE...

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

11/4/2016 6:19:22 PM #3

You don't create magic spells and there are no "classes". There are different skills you can level and aren't restricted on how many you can level and how high. Please read all of the developer journals from the first one to last one again.

You play your character as if he was a person in the real world. Your character will age and die. You can sign and make contracts with other players. You have an identity and choose who to share that with and how much information you tell them. You increase skills by teaching, listening, watching, and doing those skills. Those magical "talents" will be granted to players, not their souls, as the game sees fit. If it was planning on giving one person the ability to raise the dead but another player is better suited for it based on the storyline, the game will give it to the other person and they wont know they have it until they accidentally get it to work. It's like finding out in real life you have some kind of superpower. You don't get to choose what power you have or how it works. That's what makes for a great story.

11/5/2016 1:47:00 AM #4

well what if a person is playing the game to be in control of an avatar in a real world that has magical abilities. I would at least like to start the game knowing magic runs in my blood or family; and that The character can perhaps master it if they spend their life seeking magical wisdom and learning new abilities through quests.

I kind of DON'T want to play a game that mimics real life if my options are to be a farmer or a craftier... if I'm dedicating time into it I would like my character to develop magical combat abilities over their life time and grow to be powerful and great.

11/5/2016 2:52:08 AM #5

Combat abilities... Great and Powerful... like the picture of the mage over looking the city with meteor raining down? That is the power a select few will be able to acquire. Further evidence is buried in the Screenshots maybe the one showing a ritual chamber? Like others have mentioned, you won't be throwing fireballs on a whim, but that doesn't mean you can't be powerful. If you happen to be in the lucky 5%.

Assuming you get lucky and have magical abilities, there will probably be some event that lets you know, and then I'm assuming you'll have to research you're abilities the same way us normal people will have to research technology.

Been here too long.

11/5/2016 3:02:42 AM #6

I actually like this concept, the ability to spread magic, like giving "birth" to the ways of magic or even going the Naruto route where someone who was born with such power to spread it through bloodlines/people to grow a weave of power/magic.

This in itself would bring in an era of magic. Granted this would turn the game from low-fantasy to mild-fantasy. But the possibilities of stories and adventures of this would grow and become extremely interesting. Not to mention, if magic grows then whats not to say it would wake another kind of creature that has been dormant from the world until the rise of magic.

Interesting, very doubtful this would happen. But a very interesting concept none the less.

KS Backer #44

11/5/2016 3:07:53 PM #7

Posted By Forsakenwish at 10:02 PM - Fri Nov 04 2016

I actually like this concept, the ability to spread magic, like giving "birth" to the ways of magic or even going the Naruto route where someone who was born with such power to spread it through bloodlines/people to grow a weave of power/magic.

This in itself would bring in an era of magic. Granted this would turn the game from low-fantasy to mild-fantasy. But the possibilities of stories and adventures of this would grow and become extremely interesting. Not to mention, if magic grows then whats not to say it would wake another kind of creature that has been dormant from the world until the rise of magic.

Interesting, very doubtful this would happen. But a very interesting concept none the less.

This is not the purpose of the game. It would be kind of cool, but then everyone would just start resurrecting as a member of that magical family. The game is purposely not centered around magic. The focal point is the storyline. I personally like it like that. If there's too much magic, the players will seek out obtaining magical abilities and magic will become just as important as the story. Again, although it would make the story interesting, it would also make the story dependent on magic instead of using a few select magic users to spice up the story.

You can go out and play any other MMO"RPG" out there with magic and do whatever you want with it, but you won't get an evolving storyline created by the players. You won't get the depth of character you can get in CoE, even with the erratic use of magic in CoE. This is the only game, that I'm aware of, that has bloodlines, player controlled governments and economies, the ability to die and be reborn, and the ability of anonymity in-game. It will truly have depth.

11/24/2016 6:45:19 PM #8

You can create written and spoken spells and incantations as well as perform rituals. These are all skill recipes/patterns which use various different ingredients. They WILL NOT have magical power without a Talent or other source providing that power. Stage magic uses technology and deception to make people believe something is magical. You will have priests and wizards putting on displays of having magical power while occasionally saying to ignore the man behind the curtain [The Wizard of OZ].

Those who fail to learn the historical maneuvers of the Great Dance are doomed to repeating a classic misstep. -- FC--96C878

1/16/2017 3:27:18 AM #9

"Sufficiently advanced tecknology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke

You will no doubt probably not be able to have real magic like the lucky 0.05 % of players. So it's best to play the game Thinking it does not exist.

However those few that deal in the art of herbology,chemistry,engineering, and so on might make their own magic.

They may fly with a glider...make unquenchable liquid fire With Greek fire...create fireball explosions that can destroy entire civilizations with black powder....and even make Excalibur with crucible steel.

Knowledge is power and tecknology is magic.

1/16/2017 4:25:41 AM #10

Thread necromancy

1/16/2017 4:34:28 AM #11

Caspian preforming necromancy? What could this mean?

Referral Code: 912EC9

1/16/2017 6:27:42 AM #12

Posted By Orisoll at 04:34 AM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Caspian preforming necromancy? What could this mean?

Potential magic users hold on to your hats things are about to get interesting!!!

1/16/2017 6:37:35 AM #13

- Shmuck

1/16/2017 6:38:03 AM #14

Haha thread necromancy :)

1/16/2017 6:39:34 AM #15

Posted By Caspian at 05:25 AM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Thread necromancy

LOL. Now look at that, our ceo is a troll XD Seriously though, spellweaving would be fun. But I couldn't come up with a mechanic to weave your self invented spells. Maybe someone with more coding skills can come up with something, but if it affects a maximum of 5% of the players you have to ask the question how much time and workforce you want to spend on it.