COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Hidden Classes?

I have a really strong feeling that there will be hidden classes with the game. Reason for why I believe so is because of the world of Elyria's lore... According to the lore "There are legends of powerful magic existing in the world of Elyria long ago, but no one has seen or heard of it for thousands of years... Some say certain souls appear to have latent abilities known as Talents. There are whispers of Magic Use, the ability to Travel, Shapeshifting, Healing, Animal Speak, Planes Walking, and many other things, but they are quite rare, affecting less than 5% of players. Alchemy and herbalism, however, are common professions in Elyria."

Due to this i'm concluding that in order to be able to unlock the ability to use magic it depends on your decisions you make with your character and certain actions.

For Example: In Sword Art Online the ability to wield 2 swords at once was given to the protagonist Kirito due to his fast reflexes and reaction time.

In manga The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor the main character enters a VRMMORPG called "Royal Road" in which in the game there is 7 hidden classes that no one knows much about. Due to his way of interactions with the NPCs he was able to obtain 1 of the 7 hidden classes with the VRMMORPG "Royal Road."

I can be wrong but it's something that's been on my mind and wanted to share with you guys. What are your opinions on this?

10/31/2016 11:33:03 PM #1

The developers have elaborated on this a little bit in some of the Q&A sessions they have done. At this point, they're planning on implementing a system they call "talents," which will (based on a random % chance) assign certain characters dormant supernatural abilities during character creation.

The player won't know their character has the ability to unlock this power, and in many cases may go their entire life without realizing their character had access to a talent. However, if they happen to trigger some special condition that awakens the talent (which may vary depending on which talent it is,) their character will then be able to develop and make use of the power they were randomly assigned at birth.

You can read a little more about it here on the CoE Wiki; obviously the game is in early development right now and many things are subject to change and tweaking, but so far, that's what we know about how talents are supposed to work.

10/31/2016 11:37:13 PM #2

From what's been explained so far it seems unlikely that it'll be a class-based system -- perhaps there may be some superficial overtures of such, but not in the way most games have them.

As for magic, they've said the potential capability is rare (around 1 in 400 if memory serves), that there then needs to be some in-game activity/events to realise that potential (eg the discovery of a relic), and then there needs to be some sort of discovery process about how magic works -- remember this is a low magic setting with magic considered mythical, there aren't exactly going to be spellbooks lying around for you to rote learn Vance's Titillating Ensorcelment of the Exploding Pineapple from.

10/31/2016 11:38:10 PM #3

must learn to type faster... :)

11/1/2016 12:12:17 AM #4

This talent thing has gotten me up at night with cold sweats.

I think the talents should be bound to a soul. Now it's a talent per life-time. I am still hoping they change this... I'd put a poll to see what the community would want.

I think a nice substitute would be that someone who finds a relic (holds it) or discovers knowledge that no one can then they should be able to keep their talent or at least a poll with multiple choices.

This body-talent talent thing has me on edge.

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

11/1/2016 12:13:58 AM #5

Personally I don't feel that there will be 'hidden' classes in CoE. There may be some odd classes that fill a role that was unintended but it is up to the player to choose the skills they think advances their character in the role they have selected. I hope talents as a whole (including especially magic) will not be introduced for a while, say 3 or 4 lifetimes down the line. I don't see a 'novice' as a magic user I think they need to wait for some players to get almost to legendary status before introducing talents. I know talents are not assigned based on skill levels but it seems logical that to find this mystical ability one most venture away from home, which will require skills to be able to survive where you are going. Thus triggers need to be moved away from your starting town and home and moved either into another kingdom or out in the wilds, however their story unfolds.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

11/1/2016 12:15:59 AM #6

Anyone remember the millenium relic from Yu-Gi-Oh?

Where everyone was just a regular POS human and the few that took their time and found the millenium puzzle/rod/eye had "talents" or special abilities.

I think this is pretty cool.

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

11/1/2016 1:06:13 AM #7

As far as i remember, this game will have a skill based system and not a class based one. And i hope that this gives us a lot of "unorthodox" characters.

So, instead of "hidden classes" maaaaybe we will have something like "hard to find/master skills"... at least this is what i'm expecting.

11/1/2016 2:39:38 AM #8

Caspian said players can create their own jobs

Additionally, rare traits can give a select few people the option for special jobs

My ongoing biography, as written by the community:

Posted By annfrank at 04:15 AM - Tue Apr 11 2017

I'm woke AF

Posted By Apaukolypse at 05:31 AM - Fri Apr 21 2017

I like memes

¯_(ツ)_/¯

11/1/2016 2:44:02 AM #9

Posted By OrangeBoy at 8:12 PM - Mon Oct 31 2016

This talent thing has gotten me up at night with cold sweats.

I think the talents should be bound to a soul. Now it's a talent per life-time. I am still hoping they change this... I'd put a poll to see what the community would want.

I think a nice substitute would be that someone who finds a relic (holds it) or discovers knowledge that no one can then they should be able to keep their talent or at least a poll with multiple choices.

This body-talent talent thing has me on edge.

It used to be bound to the soul, but enough of the community (at that time) argued against it. Binding it to a soul is such a bad idea. giving someone a 5% chance to ALWAYS have a talent (even if they don't unlock it in the first life) is such BS. Whats the point of killing that person, who used their talent if they can just come back and do it again. They want talents to be BIG, that means they should be scary to use. Your not very scared if you know you'll never lose it.

I DO however like your idea of the Relics/talent connection. That would be cool (because, again, you can lose the relic) No player should ever get something that can never be taken away.

11/7/2016 9:23:44 PM #10

Just trowing in my opinion:

I generally agree with some of the problems with the talent system that TIGARI mentions. Not loosing or gaining a talent when "Dying and being reborn" does sound like something that could discourage people (to be it isn't that much of an issue)

I prupose this: With each passing life the soul has lived ( as in: being played) the chance of getting a hidden talent grows. please note that the chance will still be considerably low after the first two life times.

That will somewhat reward players with a talent-less souls and courage using a new spark of life on the same soul.

Also: souls with talent would loose, or have a chance to loose it, but that is non of my business

There is also the problem with soul-partners, got a feeling that the above implications clash with the Dev plans, but: idk, the probably know what they want

Any and either way: I imagine talents being distributed like this ( and any hybrid you can think of)

• Souldbound talent
  • bodybound talent
  • temp. Talent giving item (wait.. that's enchantment?)
  • Talent giving item ( either soul, or body bound, giving talent multiple or only once)
  • Achievements (body/soul, one instance, one, multiple)
  • Meeting certain conditions ( pretty much like the above)

hope it wasn't too long, and sorry for bad English :)

11/7/2016 10:10:04 PM #11

Posted By BronzeWalker at 10:23 PM - Mon Nov 07 2016

Just trowing in my opinion:

I generally agree with some of the problems with the talent system that TIGARI mentions. Not loosing or gaining a talent when "Dying and being reborn" does sound like something that could discourage people (to be it isn't that much of an issue)

I prupose this: With each passing life the soul has lived ( as in: being played) the chance of getting a hidden talent grows. please note that the chance will still be considerably low after the first two life times.

That will somewhat reward players with a talent-less souls and courage using a new spark of life on the same soul.

Also: souls with talent would loose, or have a chance to loose it, but that is non of my business

There is also the problem with soul-partners, got a feeling that the above implications clash with the Dev plans, but: idk, the probably know what they want

Any and either way: I imagine talents being distributed like this ( and any hybrid you can think of)

• Souldbound talent
  • bodybound talent
  • temp. Talent giving item (wait.. that's enchantment?)
  • Talent giving item ( either soul, or body bound, giving talent multiple or only once)
  • Achievements (body/soul, one instance, one, multiple)
  • Meeting certain conditions ( pretty much like the above)

hope it wasn't too long, and sorry for bad English :)

Should had researched for before posting this. sorry this post is not relevant. don't know how to delete. - me

11/12/2016 10:02:55 AM #12

[Note: to BronzeWalker you can always edit a post so that it is blank.]

Many people fail to realize that the difference between a Sorcerer and a Mage(Wizard) is that sorcery is simply inborn "talent" while wizardry is the arcane knowledge of lore and skills. Anybody can be a wizard without having a talent for magic, however you can't be a sorcerer without at least one magical talent. Magical talents can help advance and unlock hidden skills, sub-skills and skill patterns which work alongside the talent. Spells and incantations are simply alchemical formulas which use certain ingredients with spoken or sung harmonic quantum patterns guiding the reaction to achieve some apparently magical result. Magical items either power their effects with the talents of their users or using another source of power like the soul, electromagnetism, radiation, the aether (more commonly known today as vacuum energy), or from the interaction of other planes of existence.

While talents are story bound to the body and bloodline; skills, skill patterns/recipes, and Achievements are bound to the soul. Achievements come with passive (and sometimes active) bonuses which can include new abilities [which may be considered to be similar to Soul-bound Talents]. For example maybe someone slays a fire daemon and becomes immune to fire damage. When they reincarnate they may only have a scale-able form of fire resistance which gradually increases with exposure until they slay another daemon. It is also possible that with this minor talent or even a more powerful fully magical fire talent that a character could discover unique skills and patterns related to fire which might appear magical to most people of the time [ie a lighter].

For an example of a world similar to Elyria look into Piers Anthony's Xanth series. While every human has a single talent it can be as simple as "The Talent of Bad Body Odor":-) Which in Elyria could actually be an achievement if they get the sense system right.

Those who fail to learn the historical maneuvers of the Great Dance are doomed to repeating a classic misstep. -- FC--96C878

2/21/2017 11:47:56 PM #13

There has always been secret items, abilities and classes in history of mmorpg's. Which might need certain quest to be completed, to be in right place with right stats might give you an extra ability. They have already announced many secret classes, including mages, vampires and immortals. The problem is that once majority knows them and there is a page of it in wiki, they aren't so secret anymore, only rare.

Once they launch alpha, many testers are going to dig deep into game files and go through it multiple times to see any secrets the game might still have, and after that they will release information about it on wiki or forums which makes everyone capable knowing how to get that certain secret.

The point is that there aren't actual secrets in games, its just matter of time until first player stumble upon it or some modder assembling the game

2/22/2017 1:24:45 AM #14

No one had commented on this since November until you came along, no need for the paragraphs