COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Public Execution

So there are basically 3 types of death. Knocked out, CDG, and bleh forever. But I was thinking there should be another type of death -or maybe multiple other kinds of death. I was thinking about what would happen if an assassin from a guild was caught, and the kingdom wanted to torture information out of them, there should be a form of capitol punishment.

What I was thinking is that a public execution would cause spirit loss proportional to the number of people that attend it (like a temporary boost in fame) and that way the size of the governing body and the number of people that show up for a public execution would affect how effective the capitol punishment was.

What this would lead to is a system where small villages would have to store and transport criminals that they think are deserving of capitol punishment. They'd have to be sent along until they reach their final destination, and then the rulers there would have to put together the event to draw as many people as possible, if there are public executions every day, nobody's gonna care to go. But if there's only one on occasion, it'll draw a huge crowd.

Here's the exciting part... PRISON BREAK!

Assassin man from earlier has friends. They come and break into the prison. They decide to let out a few more people, make some friends and what not. It's like high-stakes networking for evil people >:)

This is definitely incomplete, but it starts to answer the "how does taking prisoners work" question that I still haven't heard a satisfactory answer for. So this is based on the idea that you can either hold someone OR do capitol punishment. But afterwards the character would probably wake up in a ditch or something.

11/4/2016 1:03:40 AM #1

The problem is you can't force this on people. It opens the door for a ton of trolling/problems.

11/4/2016 1:29:21 AM #2

I'm afraid I have to agree with Pteroguin.

As fun as it sounds in theory, I don't feel it'd really add to the game in a positive manner and it'd likely be complex to code properly.

I think our current types of in game death are sufficient already.

11/4/2016 9:16:38 AM #3

I have to agree with Pteroguin and Dreamar as well. It will scare away potential players if your playtime can effectively be restricted by this. Nobody is going to play a game where you sit in a cell for several days without being able to do anything.

Alt text

11/4/2016 9:21:55 AM #4

If I am able to I'll be having forced labor and keeping prisoners of war. I'd rather have my enemies in a cell then killing my men personally, regardless of spirit loss. Best way to either A) Destroy moral or B) Force a rival kingdom to lay siege on a fortress/prison in an attempt to save their people. Regardless it's a good story.

Friend code: 2D42A1

11/4/2016 4:00:03 PM #5

im totally for scaring away players that only want to play the game to scare other players away :P

if people play the game to annoy other people, there should be an even more annoying punishment for them, IF they get caught (like 20% to actually get caught but if caught, 5 times the punishment. if i kill someone that loses one day gametime and i only lose one day gametime if i am caught, its a not really a risk. the person i killed will still suffer more). Im totally for boring prison, forced work or anything else the usual griefer doesnt like. i dont like being killed and looted by griefers, either. I guess, the first half year, i will be focussed on catching criminals. after that, i hope, the most annoying griefers leave the game and we can start playing in a more peaceful world and actually devellop things instead of dieing everytime we go out.

and if you say, that it can be exploited by players that put others in prison or whatever... then it should only work if you are found guilty. just as a punishment. and not just like that. and if it works just like that, then there is a good reason for revolting. nice story there. evil players that overuse their prisons just to annoy others? not long gonna be their prison.

Friend Code: 30EF47

11/4/2016 4:17:51 PM #6

This is where my idea of kidnapping comes into play (binding hands, possibly covering head--think DayZ)

We could lead them to the platform and CdG them while commoners throw things at them

My ongoing biography, as written by the community:

Posted By annfrank at 04:15 AM - Tue Apr 11 2017

I'm woke AF

Posted By Apaukolypse at 05:31 AM - Fri Apr 21 2017

I like memes

¯_(ツ)_/¯

11/8/2016 3:54:56 PM #7

I would say you get a summons to a hearing and if you don't appear then bad things are set in motion. The reason I say that is because I may not want to stay logged in long enough for me to be captured and transported and found guilty or broken out.

Good food and strong drink!

11/8/2016 6:42:04 PM #8

Posted By Misterbumblebear at 4:54 PM - Tue Nov 08 2016

I would say you get a summons to a hearing and if you don't appear then bad things are set in motion. The reason I say that is because I may not want to stay logged in long enough for me to be captured and transported and found guilty or broken out.

you dont need to be logged in for any of this. your character will always be online, no matter if you login or not.

11/8/2016 6:51:15 PM #9

I say no... You can't prevent ppl from playing the game, even when you can log out and let it happen while offline. Even when being "the bad guy" has consequences and has a risk, it's still a game and it should be fun. What if i put you into a cage and keep you there for a week inside my house? or inside a cart in my yard? And of course, as mentioned before, it will lead to a lot of trolling with this mechanic. Crimes should be paid, yes, but it has to be something quick and not as much complex.

11/10/2016 12:45:19 AM #10

Posted By GonXavier at 7:51 PM - Tue Nov 08 2016

I say no... You can't prevent ppl from playing the game, even when you can log out and let it happen while offline. Even when being "the bad guy" has consequences and has a risk, it's still a game and it should be fun. What if i put you into a cage and keep you there for a week inside my house? or inside a cart in my yard? And of course, as mentioned before, it will lead to a lot of trolling with this mechanic. Crimes should be paid, yes, but it has to be something quick and not as much complex.

so then, lets just assume you are a bad guy and poor. you kill a merchant, steal all of his wares and sink them in the ocean. just like that. because you are a bad guy and not really interested in the wares. you just want to be a bad guy. now, this merchant hires headhunters because he wants his wares back from you. they find you and try to get the wares back from you, but you tell them the wares no longer exist because they are sunken and gone for good. how will you pay for your crimes in a way that the merchant gets refunded, if its not possible to force you to work for the merchant?

if you lose lifespan, thats a punishment for you, sure. but it does not help the people you will annoy afterwards, nor does it refund the merchant. usually, a punishment should somehow refund the affronted person or stop you from doing the same again. there is nothing stopping you from doing the same again, if you just lose lifespan and dont have intentions to get old anyway.

if you have fun with taking the fun of others away, which infact is, what griefers do, then there should be a way to take your fun away in return. not fair otherwise.

forced work or prison could still be fun. forced work in the end is work. not much different from what others do their whole day. producing something. being productive. being a good part of the community. why should it be impossible to have fun in prison? you can still train your skills in prison, you can learn from the other imprisoned people etc... look at prisons irl, how many bodybuilders live there. or how people seem to create clans in prison if you watch any series which has prisons in it.

11/10/2016 12:53:02 AM #11

Posted By Arthos at 02:21 AM - Fri Nov 04 2016

If I am able to I'll be having forced labor and keeping prisoners of war. I'd rather have my enemies in a cell then killing my men personally, regardless of spirit loss. Best way to either A) Destroy moral or B) Force a rival kingdom to lay siege on a fortress/prison in an attempt to save their people. Regardless it's a good story.

So what im gonna need you to do is pay me $30, then im gonna lock you in a room and have you wait there for hours with nothing you want to do.

After a while ill let you out and you can tell me all the cool stories you got while you were 'inside'.

11/10/2016 1:42:46 AM #12

Getting back on topic to the public executions, maybe you could be held for a short while, say 15 minutes at most while everyone prepares and then you are executed on front of the town, suffering normal spirit loss etc and the execution could be there to add immersion and to warn others

11/12/2016 12:08:09 AM #13

Posted By Gromschlog at 09:00 AM - Fri Nov 04 2016

im totally for scaring away players that only want to play the game to scare other players away :P

if people play the game to annoy other people, there should be an even more annoying punishment for them, IF they get caught (like 20% to actually get caught but if caught, 5 times the punishment.

if i kill someone that loses one day gametime and i only lose one day gametime if i am caught, its a not really a risk. the person i killed will still suffer more).

Im totally for boring prison, forced work or anything else the usual griefer doesnt like. i dont like being killed and looted by griefers, either. I guess, the first half year, i will be focussed on catching criminals. after that, i hope, the most annoying griefers leave the game and we can start playing in a more peaceful world and actually devellop things instead of dieing everytime we go out.

and if you say, that it can be exploited by players that put others in prison or whatever... then it should only work if you are found guilty. just as a punishment. and not just like that. and if it works just like that, then there is a good reason for revolting. nice story there. evil players that overuse their prisons just to annoy others? not long gonna be their prison.

I think you make a good point there. If I get killed and robbed and as punishment IF they get caught they just get killed, I still lose more as a victim.

Also, they have likely killed and robbed more than one person by the time they get caught, making their one death be even less punishment than they deserve.

I favour the audience idea as a boost of temporary fame because it is RP. Otherwise, I favour a guillotine that causes spirit loss in proportion to the Bounty Tokens submitted against that criminal.

In the case of robberies without physical harm to players, I support forced labour to make criminals contribute to society in repayment for what they have taken away from productive citizens.

[NA-W] Kingdom of Blackheart, Duchy of Santaphrandi, County of Valek

11/12/2016 3:04:23 AM #14

this is a interesting idea

Go ahead, make my day

11/12/2016 4:00:39 AM #15

Posted By Gromschlog at 12:00 PM - Fri Nov 04 2016

if people play the game to annoy other people, there should be an even more annoying punishment for them, IF they get caught (like 20% to actually get caught but if caught, 5 times the punishment. if i kill someone that loses one day gametime and i only lose one day gametime if i am caught, its a not really a risk. the person i killed will still suffer more). Im totally for boring prison, forced work or anything else the usual griefer doesnt like. i dont like being killed and looted by griefers, either. I guess, the first half year, i will be focussed on catching criminals. after that, i hope, the most annoying griefers leave the game and we can start playing in a more peaceful world and actually devellop things instead of dieing everytime we go out.

Your not making sense. Playing a supported and very much needed play style is griefing? This is where you and many other players have this wrong.

I quote: "i dont like being killed and looted by griefers, either."

So because you are killed the killer is a griefer? By definition this simply isn't true.

Griefer: A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways.

So you've already lost me. Your basically saying, I died and I am butt hurt so I want to punish the guy who killed me because I wasn't good enough to defend myself.

Furthermore, you punish the CHARACTER, not the player for IN CHARACTER ACTIVITY. Punishing the PLAYER is for real problems such as harassment, trolling, cheating, etc.

Punishing a player = Suspension, restricted play, banning, etc.

Punishing a character (specifically in CoE) = Losing spirit, aging, permadeath, incapitation, etc.

Hard jail time and forced labor would fall under "restricted play" and even sometimes "suspension" and therefore punish the player, not the character.

Idk why people can't seperate these two things:

• Griefer vs Legit Deviant Player

• Punishing the player vs Punishing the character for IC choices

It's just not that hard to me.

I don't know anymore.