COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Ideas about magic

I find magic to be a really interesting part about COE, seeing as it would only affect 5% of players. Here are some of the ideas I've had in my head about magic

1) I really like the idea of player-made spells. I think it would be a waste to have pre-made spells seeing as how it would only cater for a minority of the playerbase, however I think it would be quite difficult to code something like this, as not only would it be extremely difficult to do, but it may make it heavily unbalanced. In this case I think the devs should make it so that they have set rules on what magical limitations there are.

2) I don't think that there should be something like a mana bar since a lot of other mechanics in the game are represented as vitality; health, fatigue, hunger etc. I think that depending on what kind of spell the player casts, it would affect the player in some way, be it making them tired to some degree or physically injuring them dependent on the skill of the caster and the difficultly of the magic cast.

3) There should also be something like a skill range on how easy/difficult players find. For example, some people may have similar spells to one another, but one of them may find it extremely easy to cast, requiring only little effort and almost no affect on themselves, whereas another may find the action tiring and time consuming. Seeing as magic is a talent, I would think that players with magical affinity would also have talents in different areas of magic.

4) There could also be other limitations, such as a player only having affinity for casting one spell but being exteremely adept, or another being able to cast many different spells.

5) The game could have different trees of magic which can be studied; illusion, creation, destruction, healing etc, which players could be skilled in one or multiple trees. There could also just be trees which are similar to one's most preferred so they could find it easier to pick up.

These are just some of the thoughts of my half asleep mind, I think I may have forgotten a few that whizzed through my head

Ok mate

11/6/2016 2:32:32 PM #1

Enjoyed your post. I am most intrigued by a system that is not reliant on mana, but instead on your physical and spiritual condition. IE fatigue and hunger are affected by minor magic while your spark is drained when pushing the limits. This would help to limit grand displays of fireballs and meteors to a few times within a person's spark. Enjoyed your thoughts though and I look forward to seeing what the devs have for us!

11/6/2016 10:19:15 PM #2

This is an excellent idea and an interesting twist to an age old concept, i do agree that very powerful magic should have some sort of drawback. eg long cast time and heavy toll on fatigue and maybe even injury. that way magic users could be a force on the battlefield but also must be used wisely. i just like this concept a lot, feels like we add a bit more mysticism and grandeur to magic

United we stand. Divided we fall. Friend Code: ABF605 Click my Banner to find out more

11/26/2016 10:49:39 PM #3

I've always enjoyed the magic system that the Eragon series created. Where the power of your magic was based on what type of creature you were because the magic pool for casting and power of spell was based on your constitution. So no matter how creative you were with your spells, the caster still could not go past a certain level. I always hated it in SKYRIM where one person could take down a dragon. It should be a minimum of 20 people to even attempt this. If mages wanted more powerful spells, they could link themselves and pull from every mage's power pool. The magic cast would deal nonlethal damage to the character until they pass out. So if you want to do 6 points of real damage to a target, the mage would take 6 points of nonlethal damage to their hit points.
As for the constitution of humans, this should be capped based on your race, not your class. Just that your armor and agility would make it harder to hit you compared to the strength and agility of the attacker. Its completely unrealistic to get hit by a two handed sword and shrug that off. Humans, regardless of their armor and weaponry should not be expected to survive even a fight with a large grizzly as well.

11/28/2016 10:01:30 PM #4

It would be incredible to see varying levels of magic use like you said.

I would love to see one magic user stand out above the rest and be an incredible power and strong presence in the game.