COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Vast Tracks of Land: An Approximate Comparison to New York City

Greetings all,

My goal in this post is to attempt a rough comparison with the relative and approximate size of various entities so far known in Chronicles of Elyria with the City of New York. As we fantasize about land, land-ownership, and the game in general, it behooves us, I think, to have some notion of what geographical mass we'll be working with. As with any information at this point in development, what is hereafter 'guesstimated' is subject to falsehood given change to the measurements or game!

Kingdoms, Duchies, and Counties

We begin with the approximate size of a continent and a lovely view of New York, Philadelphia, and the southern coast of Connecticut. This is approximated to the general starting continent size (256km x 128 km):

Note: You may be wondering-- why is this not a square?! Good question, fictitious interlocutor! I've calculated the total area in square meters (approx. 32,768,000,000 sq.m) and matched the size of this rectangle, trapezoid, Euclidean geometric figure to that area.

This is one continent. By contrast, Skyrim's map is 37.1 sq.km; that is, Skyrim's map is 1,376,410,000 sq. m. That's 1/25th of the continent in the Elyrian world.

Next we reduce our handy green box to roughly the size of a kingdom. From here on out, I'll be using the an estimate on the upper end for sizing purposes. Since there will be between 3-5 kingdoms per server, I've simply divided the serve size by 3. Obviously the size would change when borders shift and kingdoms fall:

Note: Given the map size divided by 3, a kingdom with one-third of the total land = 10922666666.7 sq.m.

Skyrim is still only about 1/9 of one kingdom on one Elyrian continent.

Assuming that the kingdom is roughly this size, we next turn to the approximate size of a duchy. We know that there can be anywhere between 5-8 duchies per kingdom. Following the trend of estimating on the higher side, I've divided the kingdom by 5; so, this is roughly the largest duchy a duke or duchess would be able to hold:

Note: This duchy is approximately 2,184,533,333.33 sq.m

Skyrim is still only 1/2 of one duchy.

And following the same trend, I've divided the duchy by 8 since there are at least 8 counties per duchy. This, then, is the approximate largest size of a county for a kingdom and duchy of this magnitude:

Note: This county is approximately 273,066,666.667 sq.m

A county in Elyria is only 5 times smaller than Skryim! Counts in Elyria are basically Jarls in Skyrim!

Capitals, Cities, Towns, Villages, and Hamlets

Now we're going to zoom out for a moment since we'll shortly be getting into the approximate sizes of cities, towns, etc. These maps are a little more accurate since we already know the number of parcels necessary for a town, city, etc. Since a parcel is 64m x 64m, it is possible to calculate the total square meters for a town, city, etc., and then it's easy enough to overlay that on a map. However, this is not the maximum size of a town, city, etc. since one could conceivably gain enough parcels and fall short by one of a city, town, etc. Once you reach the size of a capital (81 parcels), you can presumably keep on expanding: the upper limit determined only by resources, land, etc. That being said, I'm going to use Central Park as a reference for the size of towns, cities, etc. To give you an idea of the size of Central Park, I'm going to zoom out and then refocus into the heart of New York City:

Note: The approximate area of Central Park is 3,410,000 sq.m, nearly 10x the size of a capital city!

Now the next image is of the lowest limit, in terms of square meters, of a capital:

Note: The smallest capital is approximately 331,776 sq.m

Now a shot of the minimum area of a city:

Note: The smallest city is approximately 200,704 sq.m

Next a town:

Note: The smallest town is approximately 102,400 sq.m

A village:

Note: The smallest village is approximately 36,864 sq.m

Lastly, a hamlet... ...isn't it cute? (Coming in at 12,288 sq.m)

Finally, a look at where our hamlet sits from the perspective of a kingdom... ...just a speck in a massive Elyrian sea.

11/6/2016 11:45:48 AM #1

WOW great info man <3

11/6/2016 11:53:43 AM #2

Posted By mace771 at 11:45 AM - Sun Nov 06 2016

WOW great info man <3

Thanks! And remember that this is a really, really, rough estimate; so, take it with a grain of salt!

11/6/2016 2:02:51 PM #3

Very nice stuff for visualizing size! One point though it looks like you duplicated the kingdom picture where you're talking about the approximate size of a duchy.

11/6/2016 3:07:51 PM #4

Posted By Polite at 2:02 PM - Sun Nov 06 2016

Very nice stuff for visualizing size! One point though it looks like you duplicated the kingdom picture where you're talking about the approximate size of a duchy.

Nice catch! My apologies! I didn't manage to keep all of my screenshots sufficiently organised, it seems.

11/6/2016 5:44:16 PM #5

Posted By DunsScotus at 10:07 AM - Sun Nov 06 2016

Posted By Polite at 2:02 PM - Sun Nov 06 2016

Nice catch! My apologies! I didn't manage to keep all of my screenshots sufficiently organised, it seems.

Your work is admirable nonetheless and you have no need to apologize :)

Also correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like your math on the approximate square meters in the hypothetical largest duchy is off. Shouldn't it be,

21845333333.3 / 5 = 4,369,066,666.66 sq. meters = 4.36 billion sq. meters

I was looking this up because that means the hypothetical largest duchy is larger than the State of Rhode Island which is only 3.14 billion sq. meters. Not only larger than a U.S. state but a good 25% larger, wow.

11/6/2016 5:44:38 PM #6

Duplicate post.

11/6/2016 10:35:00 PM #7

Posted By Polite at 5:44 PM - Sun Nov 06 2016

Your work is admirable nonetheless and you have no need to apologize :)

Also correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like your math on the approximate square meters in the hypothetical largest duchy is off. Shouldn't it be,

21845333333.3 / 5 = 4,369,066,666.66 sq. meters = 4.36 billion sq. meters

I was looking this up because that means the hypothetical largest duchy is larger than the State of Rhode Island which is only 3.14 billion sq. meters. Not only larger than a U.S. state but a good 25% larger, wow.

You're entirely correct on this. Thanks for checking my maths. I'm not sure why I came up with that number, though I probably mindlessly hit something wrong on the calculator. I'll adjust for it tomorrow! Fortunately that will only jeopardise the duchy and county comparisons since the settlement-based maps are not based on the area of the server but on the area of individual parcels.

11/7/2016 9:17:07 AM #8

Good news! I've adjusting the duchy size to the appropriate 4,369,066,666.66 sq.m and the county size to the appropriate 546,133,333.3325 sq.m. The maps now mirror these approximations.

Thanks Polite for the corrections, and for being so polite about it!

11/7/2016 2:20:34 PM #9

Though Might wanna recheck how large the map is...

Been here too long.

11/7/2016 2:25:33 PM #10

Posted By Valupeh at 2:20 PM - Mon Nov 07 2016

Goodness! And here I thought my source was trustworthy! Thanks for pointing that out, Valupeh. Should be an easy fix with the larger maps.

11/7/2016 4:44:17 PM #11

Thankyou!

This is a great read and enlightening!

11/7/2016 4:54:29 PM #12

Yea. Its crazy actually seeing it displayed like that. Numbers are one thing but seeing it on a map...wow!

11/7/2016 4:54:30 PM #13

Yea. Its crazy actually seeing it displayed like that. Numbers are one thing but seeing it on a map...wow!

11/7/2016 5:06:58 PM #14

See this really puts things in perspective. When people worry about enough land to go around this should put them at ease. Quite the opposite of our modern world, people (skilled people you can rely on at that!) will be at a premium, not space. I read somewhere that europe during the middle ages was like that (especially after the plagues.)

Thanks for some map magic

NA-E Count backer looking to meet NA-E dukes/duchesses

11/7/2016 7:03:19 PM #15

Posted By Valupeh at 2:20 PM - Mon Nov 07 2016

Thanks for the correction, Valupeh!

Edit: I have adjusted the Kingdom, Duchy, and County maps to appropriate size. The initial picture is therefore not the approximate landmass of the server but of a continent since we do not have info on how big the server will be. However, while this means that the initial kingdoms will be smaller (since they'll divide continents as opposed to the entire server), this means that the serve is absolute huge.

Thanks to all who have commented and corrected my maths and info! Hopefully it's all ship-shape now!