COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
In depth Cooking/Butchering

I am not sure how in depth you will be adventuring into the culinary aspect of the game,but,with all of your other detail I believe there is room for something amazing. For instance will you take into account how the meat is cut, if it is with or against the grain determining to an extent the toughness of said meat. Perhaps what meat or food you are eating while it is cool and or hot out, for example eating something spicy in the dessert will help with bringing down body temperature. There are so many factors you may or may not have thought of. As someone who has done this his entire life I would love to throw some input not to mention I am sure there are people on this sight that have been doing one or both of these longer than I. I wonder if going this deep would be trivial, or if other players would enjoy a skillful cook assisting them with his/hers ability to keep them energized and healthy for long travels and battles. Any thoughts? Also I thought this would go here because of skills but I may be moving this, I am sorry if I placed in the wrong spot.

Good food and strong drink!

11/7/2016 9:31:10 AM #1

It sure sounds like an interesting profession. Cooking is likely going to play an important role in the game, but making it too complex might make it a bit inaccessible to players without any culinary experience. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it should be taken into consideration.

Alt text

11/7/2016 10:57:50 AM #2

I don't expect them to show the butchering because that may get the game banned in certain countries

My ongoing biography, as written by the community:

Posted By annfrank at 04:15 AM - Tue Apr 11 2017

I'm woke AF

Posted By Apaukolypse at 05:31 AM - Fri Apr 21 2017

I like memes

¯_(ツ)_/¯

11/7/2016 11:00:02 AM #3

why woudl butchering get the game banned o.O

11/7/2016 11:26:53 AM #4

When butchering you will be able to harvest more than just meat but also the organs, I hope for example liver will be on the menu, being rich in iron I could imagine liver giving a boost to regenerating blood loss.

Also whit finite recourses the poor of society may not always have the luxury of eating the meat, there are old recipes for pies whit intestines, coking of other organs such as the spleen and the brain in particular is very rich in energy being composed mainly of fat. There are also other organs such as kidneys, lungs, testicles, pancreas and so on, there is also nutrition to be found in marrow.

Anyone feeling like hawing an eye ball for snack, they are very nutritious, it is for that reason birds pick them from a corps first.

11/7/2016 12:43:10 PM #5

Furthermore once a character permadies there is also corpse looting, if this means what I think, it may mean that human will be on the menu. During times of starvation it is not uncommon for people to start eating one another, I could imagine this happening during in game events like extreme drought or temporary ice ages or if a horde of bandits take all the food before winter.

11/7/2016 7:30:40 PM #6

I agree if it is over complicated it will scare people off, but I believe that's as you gain higher mastery of a skill it should get complicated or more so.

11/8/2016 1:23:41 PM #7

I have to agree with that, it fits quite well with the idea of this game that player skill is just as important as character skill. Furthermore, if professions will be structured like that players might even get some practical knowledge out of it.

Alt text

11/12/2016 3:00:24 AM #8

let's cook some meat!! I dont think that can be censored..there are games with graphical images that havent been ban

Go ahead, make my day

11/12/2016 3:57:15 AM #9

I can see them doing some sort of hybrid where you can harvest different types of meat and parts from critters, but they probably won't be terribly graphic with the visuals. Enough to get the idea, but not over the top is probably a fair balance. I wonder though, how important chef skills will be if it is assumed you have access to nutrition anytime you're in a town. I can see camp cooking and rations being useful, but feasting as being mostly cosmetic, unless it provides good mood buffs, or charisma buffs (treating a potential business partner to a good meal to smooth over a deal, for example). I would certainly like detailed cooking. I'm slightly skeptical about the level of detail being high at the moment though.

Also known as AvA in Discord.

11/12/2016 7:12:26 AM #10

While it indeed won't be necessary for most people unless fancy food provides better buffs, it is still an important aspect of role-playing. As such, there'll likely be royal dinners and such, not to mention the festivals. And you can hardly give your important guests a field ration, even if it doesn't matter in terms of mechanics.

Alt text

11/13/2016 10:04:22 PM #11

I like the idea of the mini-games being brought into this approach. Probably not to the same degree as the OP imagined, but still using character skill and player skill to help determine the value of the final product. Using a "standard" S, A, B, C, D, E, F system where S is superior and F is the lowest grade, you could use preparation and crafting mini-games to do some pretty sweet stuff.

For example, lets say your character skill gives you more time or a better chance of succeeding at mini-games while your player skill determines the final result of how well you do in mini-games. If this is true, lets say you are butchering an animal for meat. You do great on your 1st attempt, do okay on your 2nd attempt, but then do poorly on your 3rd attempt, leaving you with 3 cuts of meat ranked S, C, and F respectively.

If you take the S cut of meat, you could sell it for a decent amount of coin or you could cook with it yourself. If you had 3 cuts of rank S meat, you might do a great job cooking the 1st cut, an okay job cooking the 2nd cut, and a poor job cooking the 3rd cut, leaving you with 3 cooked meat dishes ranked S, B, and D respectively. Having the superior cut guaranteed even your worst dish would be somewhat palatable.

Likewise, if you had 3 cuts of rank C meat, you might end up with three cooked meat dishes ranked A, C, and E respectively. The mid cut allowed you to create a rank A dish, but you were otherwise mediocre to poor in your cooking attempt.

Finally, if you had 3 cutes of rank F meat, you might end up with one rank D dish and two rank F dishes because no matter how hard you try, you can't turn the worst cuts into rank S dishes, but you can try to salvage some of it.

11/13/2016 11:44:11 PM #12

@Sieraen

What rating will the game hold when it comes out?

Butchering for meat is not the same gore as violence, and while I dont expect it to exactly as gory as reality, I would be sad if it was just lacking due to rating. I also do not think this game will be marketed to young people and children, as its more of a mature niche type of game. Not saying we wont see any but Ithink the community will be made up of a vast majority of adults. Which countries ban hunting and video game depictions of hunting and cleaning an animal carcass? I would see it as more educational than gory but that may be just me. Im hoping for at least some realism pertaining to blood and butchering. There is a post about that I havent read though, so not sure whats will be going on with blood and gore.

Anyways, On to the main topic, I like the idea of the cutting of the meat and cleaning of the animal (or person as someone suggested heh) having options and variations. In my opinion the more "skill checks" we have during each step of gathering/preperation for creating something whether it be a loaf of bread or a blade not only increases the uniqueness of each item, but allows for the truly great or dedicated to shine, which I am certain this game tailors to in many fashions already.

I normally try to compare crafting in games to SWG to an extent. Every resource had a value which had a wide range. Then each harvester you used to obtain said resources would effect the resource after harvesting, but mind you the harvesters are made up of certain quality resources too. So im going to go by percentages here. Say you have 10% harvester (10% being its quality which would be equal to say quality 1200 out of 12000). And the resource cache has a quality of 35%. guesstimations here you would have a 22.5% resource. You could then use that 22.5% resource with other resources, for example we will say some left over 10% resorces to create a 16.25% harvester that would the harvest 25.625% resources (Without the crafter of the harvesters skill being equated into it). Making everything have a potential exponential quality the more time and work you invest into your tools/skills/equipment.

Now that was just for acquisition of materials, again your crafting machines would have a quality dependent on skill and materials used, so the skill of the character, the quality of the resources, and the quality of the machine effect the outcome as well as in SWG you could change temperatures and pressures and stuff to make items further unique. In CoE we will also have the added Skill check of the player skill in crafting. So that will further make items and crafting unique in their trade.

The thing To me about the complexity of the situation scaring off people from doing it, I don't know if I necessarily see that happening. First if theirs still good use for lower grade items, like an economy that supports production of cheaper goods for lower income citizens, then this would work. In games where only the "meta" is the thing to do, it wouldn't. No one would ever buy low quality materials or items if they could buy high quality ones. But with the added need of survival, as well as an economy and game engine that tailors to class and hierarchy, I think that people who don't want to invest a lot of time into a skill and only want basics would be find their basic low quality items sufficient for say at least filling ur stomach or giving you at least a shoddy tool to get some firewood with, nothing perfect needed. I also believe there will be a heavy focus on characters SPECIFICALLY for crafting or gathering or other functions not of the combat persuasion, so I think it would help keep them entertained and enjoyable, rather than making them bothersome. And someone not commuted to the trade wouldn't be able to produce the high quality items of someone committed to the trade, which again rewards effort and skill, allowing for basic crafters to still craft useful items for convince, but high quality stuff would be strictly created by skilled and dedicated players, as would be in real life.

Eh just my 2 cents, or like 83 cents......... this lasted longer than I expected lol Anyways I feel I've begun rambling. Ta ta for now! ^_^

11/14/2016 12:00:22 AM #13

The amount of meat/fat/inners/bone/pelt gained from butchering to be realistic.

I do not what to butcher 5 cows just to get 5 pieces of meat.

Anything left over I hope to use it for pig fed/fish/alligator (creature) bait or sausages or something.

11/14/2016 5:44:17 PM #14

Maybe there will be a composting option so farmers can enrich their fields to yield more crops.

11/27/2016 4:34:55 AM #15

I like the idea of breaking a cow and getting perhaps meat by weight and varying qualities. Possibly even obtaining a hide to sell to leather workers and maybe bones for some other crafting bit, the fat to candle makers. While all of this is totally theoretical , it just makes me want the game that much more!!