COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Passing on of Talents

From what I've seen lots of people have strong opinions and concerns on talents being character bound as opposed to soul bound and this is my personal idea on them.

I think that talents shouldn't have a 0% chance of being passed on, and that there should be some kind of way to pass a talent on to your next character. However, this way should be hard to achieve so that some people will lose talents over the course of the 10 years and people not yet with talents can gain them.

My idea is that a large number of story points could be used to allow the transferring of talents to your next heir, this would mean that only players who have made an investment and large contribution to the story will be able to keep their talents and others who use talents for personal gain will not.

This is just an idea that I have had, what are your thoughts on this/the current system?

11/7/2016 2:45:56 PM #1

I think offering a random percentage to pass down talents already "explored" in previous lives or within the bloodline should have the chance to be passed down, but a much lower percentage than the 5% you have to even obtain one. Since those holding titles(?) are about to accumulate SP quicker than those without just by doing their job as a said title holder.

(correct me if I'm wrong on the last part, but I read that it's easier to gain SP if you just do your job as a noble/working at your table).

11/7/2016 2:50:02 PM #2

Where did you get the information that talents would be character bound? Is there some news where SbS have stated that they have changed talents from being soulbound to character bound or are you talking about the talent like abilities a vampire for example might have?

Or are you suggesting a change from soulbound to character bound? Your initial sentence seems to suggest that talents are character bound.

11/7/2016 2:56:55 PM #3

They are character bound, the soubound decision was left long ago. Soulbound made it a bit broke.

11/7/2016 3:04:54 PM #4

Straight from the wiki in regards for being not passed down http://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Talents

I think a combination of a small chance for it be passed on and a high chance if you use story points and/or involved in the story. In terms of accumulating story points quicker, that is true, but that's to offset that by getting those points they may permadeath quicker due to their fame.

11/7/2016 3:36:53 PM #5

I understand that completely soulbound would be broken but it'd be nice if there was a system in place to give a bit more leeway so to speak.

11/7/2016 5:04:02 PM #6

Given this bit of info:

"You get a talent by simply to making yourself part of the story. That means that if a character, at some time, is in the best position to advance the story, the Soulborn Engine might give him a Talent to help him do that."

It is possible that your heir might take up the talent again, if they are still in the best position to advance the story. If someone else has increased their knowledge in a certain discipline, or is in a better position now to move the story forward, that talent could shift to someone else. But, I think the chance for your heir is still there, it's just not a forgone conclusion.

11/7/2016 5:51:31 PM #7

Yeah, but a 15 year old heir probably won't be in the best position for advancing the story. I understand though that a spread of players should get a chance at talents, I just feel that there should be a concrete, definable way to possibly keep a talent

11/7/2016 6:06:26 PM #8

Posted By Mr_Plunkett at 08:51 AM - Mon Nov 07 2016

Yeah, but a 15 year old heir probably won't be in the best position for advancing the story. I understand though that a spread of players should get a chance at talents, I just feel that there should be a concrete, definable way to possibly keep a talent

Ask Alexander the great how old he was when he pushed the story of the world forward? I think age has less to do with it than we want to think. Story can be derived from many, many things. May the odds forever be that you receive a talent. Talents need to be rare because they will be OP by design. Being able to have a chance at the same talent multiple lives in a row in itself just compounds the concern. Mostly because finding out you have a talent, and how to unlock it means each time you'd access it quicker, which means you'd be more and more a person of power. I am unsure i'd ever want to have a talent. :/

11/7/2016 6:10:12 PM #9

I'm just afraid that people will invest entire lives in the story just to lose their place. Early to mid 20s in regards to your question I believe.

11/7/2016 6:14:04 PM #10

I think many people who have talents assigned to them, won't even be aware of them for the majority of their character's life. Finding out that you have a talent and how to unlock it is going to be the extremly hard part. I understand wanting to ensure you get to use it, and thus pass it down through soulbound means, but don't you feel that many people would eventually just abuse the power? A talented person would have the means to change the entire landscape both politically and physically in some cases.

11/7/2016 6:17:18 PM #11

Posted By Mr_Plunkett at 12:10 PM - Mon Nov 07 2016

I'm just afraid that people will invest entire lives in the story just to lose their place. Early to mid 20s in regards to your question I believe.

The game and all true RPGs are about the story. So, why would it be a waste? If you are not here for the story and your part of the story, that is the waste.

Countess of Tarnham

County Tarnham, Rhynelands Duchy, Vornair. Luna Server (NA-E)

11/7/2016 6:18:22 PM #12

I feel that some would take advantage of their power more, but surely this would open the way for more player driven storylines?

Also certain op talents could cost much more story points and exponentially more for every additional transfer.

11/7/2016 6:21:17 PM #13

Moonlynx

The point is that you have invested a lifetime of your game, maybe sacrificing other things such as building a respectable position in a town to progress the story and then you will not have a chance to continue making such a contribution.

11/7/2016 6:21:31 PM #14

If they built it as a SP currency sink it might work, but i'm with Moonlynx in her perspective about the story. :)

11/7/2016 6:24:45 PM #15

We will see what path the developers take :)