COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Some ideas about warfare

So I've got two ideas about the 'higher' level gameplay, which is the sort of RTS style.

1: The form of communication in most fantasy games are just not realistic. As this game is obviously trying to become really realistic, I think they should extent this to the communication as well.

You see, in ancient and medieval times, there weren't radios and such, so communication was done by messengers or Post Pigeons at best. These were slow. In my opinion, the devs should make these mechanisms in the game, so an order given by the main commander of the army of X nation would only arrive hours later. If they did the communication in chat or something it would ruin the feeling. (Well, this system could be easily got around with Skype or Teamspeak, or something like this, but it would really make it more in-depth. Maybe make the ordering system in-game superior to normal conversation)

2.My second thought is about the battles themselves. To be honest, from what I read, the fights would be like in ESO, so someone gives some order, and then, some other people go there and do something, cast a few spells, then the whole battle just leads to a cluster of players.

So, what I want to suggest, is that the majority of soldiers would still be NPCs, and the general of each army (if there are multiple ones) commands a small amount of leaders. The leaders could be NPCs, but this is where the players could shine. Every leader would have access to multiple types of commands like formations, attack, charge, brace, etc. Which they could control their unit with. They themselves could make up their units as well, by reorganizing the people in them, by their stats, like in Mount & Blade. Players would be the most effective soldiers naturally, so they would most likely end up in front in most formations. I think a realistic command system is also nessecary, because as your player doesn't respawn just like in any other game, the players would actually fear for their lives, so a big massacre on one side could very well lead to a massive rout, like in real life. (Of how much of this is possible, only time will tell, but I still wanted to express my opinion.)

(Sorry if one of these (or both) has been mentioned before)

11/7/2016 3:57:56 PM #1

I like this idea and the personalities and abilities of npcs could take it a stage further in terms of how the armies match up and routs etc.

11/7/2016 4:08:01 PM #2

To talk to your first point, I think you are really on to something. There has often been the shut down of in game messaging because of the fact that skype and discord could do the same thing. However, I have often thought of a couple issues with external message systems:

First is the possibility of spying. I think it would be 10x easier to fake your identity and join a kingdom teamspeak and overhear plans for war than it would be to intercept a message. Kingdoms will need to relay information to potentially hundreds of barons, tens of counts, and some dukes so faking the baron level is not impossible. Second, if you need to instruct an NPC duke, or NPC baron with something then you are right I think - there needs to be some sort of system that can be used in-game that allows NPCs to follow their kings war orders and vice versa. Not all nobility will be human which leads to issues with discord/TS.

All in all, I know there will not be a way to get rid of skype/discord communication. It is entirely too useful, but I really hope they add mechanics so that if you want you can send something privately, secret war plans, sensitive guild information, or hiring an assassin (because how easy would it be to fake being an assassin on skype, have someone hire you, screen shot it, then blackmail them or report them to their target for money?). I think you're putting out a great idea, there needs to be added mechanics to messages in game that gives them more use than outside form of communication at times.

Aspiring Lumberjack, NA-W

11/7/2016 4:13:44 PM #3

Overall when the scale is as huge as this, I really want to see how kings and queens are able to hold on their kingdoms. First days will be quite chaotic.

11/7/2016 5:30:34 PM #4

Posted By CuteLilPuppyDog at 5:08 PM - Mon Nov 07 2016

To talk to your first point, I think you are really on to something. There has often been the shut down of in game messaging because of the fact that skype and discord could do the same thing. However, I have often thought of a couple issues with external message systems:

First is the possibility of spying. I think it would be 10x easier to fake your identity and join a kingdom teamspeak and overhear plans for war than it would be to intercept a message. Kingdoms will need to relay information to potentially hundreds of barons, tens of counts, and some dukes so faking the baron level is not impossible. Second, if you need to instruct an NPC duke, or NPC baron with something then you are right I think - there needs to be some sort of system that can be used in-game that allows NPCs to follow their kings war orders and vice versa. Not all nobility will be human which leads to issues with discord/TS.

All in all, I know there will not be a way to get rid of skype/discord communication. It is entirely too useful, but I really hope they add mechanics so that if you want you can send something privately, secret war plans, sensitive guild information, or hiring an assassin (because how easy would it be to fake being an assassin on skype, have someone hire you, screen shot it, then blackmail them or report them to their target for money?). I think you're putting out a great idea, there needs to be added mechanics to messages in game that gives them more use than outside form of communication at times.

Yeah, I didn't even think about secrets and spying when I made this post, but your ideas just made this even better.

11/7/2016 7:01:51 PM #5

Messaging doesn't matter when Discord and other apps are a thing

My ongoing biography, as written by the community:

Posted By annfrank at 04:15 AM - Tue Apr 11 2017

I'm woke AF

Posted By Apaukolypse at 05:31 AM - Fri Apr 21 2017

I like memes

¯_(ツ)_/¯

11/7/2016 7:16:37 PM #6

Honestly contracts is where it is. Confirmed closed contracts is the mechanism that this will control better communitcation and need than just Discord alone. Getting control of a signed contract between nobles and gifts from one to another, and forging documents for a contract is where hand delivery becomes... fun :)

11/7/2016 7:27:16 PM #7

Posted By Sieraen at 8:01 PM - Mon Nov 07 2016

Messaging doesn't matter when Discord and other apps are a thing

discord and other apps cant be used with NPCs. the majority of Characters in the world will be NPCs. They need to have the possibility to send messages. Therefore, it has to be ingame. And its immersion-breaking to use third-party-programs for messaging. Sure, in purely player-run parts of the world where at least all nobles and all person in charge of power are really players, it might work. Still, you cant be online every day and every minute. Better have the ability of your OPC to send messages if under attack or something or even better allow him to react to simple messages. Like be a baron, have your little army, get a message that near village is under attack and send your troops there. how will you do that with discord when you are sleeping or working or at school or whereever busy irl? third-party-programms are a fast way of messaging for the 2-6 hours people usually play games daily... there has to be an automated (working with scripts and NPCs) way of messaging for the other 18-22 hours of the day.

Friend Code: 30EF47

11/7/2016 10:02:56 PM #8

Completely off the previous topic, but I have another idea related to the kind of command hierarchy. The system I wrote about would only work if there's a decent fighting mechanism in the game as well. I maybe uninformed, but what I've seen in the fighting demo video is a simple attack/parry kind of system. However, if we expect to see people fighting ln realistic matter, that system won't support that(at least I want to see battles like that), so I came up with my fighting system. So it basically consists of two actions: attack and defend.

The defending would consist of the keys Q and E for lowering and elevating your shield/blocking weapon. The horizontal part would be done by the mouse. As for attacking, the player could use the buttons on the mouse: Left-side slash is left mouse button, right-side is right mouse button, overhead swing could be both at the same time, upper thrust couod be up-scrolling, downward thrust would be down-scrolling, middle thrust is pressing the scroll-wheel and around the shield thrusts could be done by moving the mouse, again.

Again, i don't want to be the troll, who knows everything better, I just thought to share this with others, and posibbly the devs.

In my opinion, with this fighting system, complex, hard fights could be made even in battles, with frontlines, where you always have to block everyone's attacks, because with the defending stance, you could block many blows with your shield.

And one last thought: if you don't have a shield, you could use parry. Which would mean, that you are basically always blocking in the middle and if an attack comes from any other way, you quickly press Q or E depending on the height of the blow, and move the mouse depending on which side it is coming from.