COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Will it be Free to play

I have been following this game for some time and i'd like to know if it will be free to play or will it be pay to win or will it be pay to play?

Join the Earldom of Thunormore today!

11/12/2016 5:34:37 PM #16

I love the Spark of Life concept personally. I'll be coming from another game that has a ~$60 expansion buy-in plus a $15 a month subscription. Though the only downside is my addiction to having alt characters, that could get costly... though if I focus on farming/breeding (as I hope to) I may be so involved with it that I have no time for alts anyhow. Something to ponder!

( •–• ) Hello! I am Baymax.

3/30/2017 3:17:20 AM #17

so its pay to play and pay to win because if you cant keep up with the monthly sub and the daily cost of being killed you are basically screwed over time and again.

3/30/2017 3:34:19 AM #18

What CoE will be:

• pay to play
  • pay to start ahead
  • play with a risk to lose what you "started ahead" with

What CoE will not be:

• a classic MMO

What money will not get you:

• knowledge and skills to improve upon (and keep) what you have
  • friends to help you (at least not ones that will not let you down in bad times)
  • absolute safety

It will be a sandbox so get ready for anything (no one can really guarantee what will happen when the time comes, it really depends on players choices). Get ready to be able to win everything and loose it the next moment.

3/30/2017 5:41:37 AM #19

Posted By Doobiedoo at 1:17 PM - Thu Mar 30 2017

so its pay to play and pay to win because if you cant keep up with the monthly sub and the daily cost of being killed you are basically screwed over time and again.

Not to be rude, but if you can't afford $30 for 6 months of game time (which is pretty much a worst case scenario), an MMO that is anything but free to play probably isn't for you. Everyone is very clear about why MMO's do well to have some sort of ongoing charges. If you don't like them, go play a free to play MMO, which will be objectively worse. People who choose to pay for CoE will not be pay to win, because we will all be paying.

If you are new to the community, the Design Journals will answer a lot of your questions.

3/30/2017 9:53:47 AM #20

Posted By Themata at 12:41 AM - Thu Mar 30 2017

Posted By Doobiedoo at 1:17 PM - Thu Mar 30 2017

Not to be rude, but if you can't afford $30 for 6 months of game time (which is pretty much a worst case scenario), an MMO that is anything but free to play probably isn't for you. Everyone is very clear about why MMO's do well to have some sort of ongoing charges. If you don't like them, go play a free to play MMO, which will be objectively worse. People who choose to pay for CoE will not be pay to win, because we will all be paying.

Doobie, I think you need to do further reading up on how long spirit is expected lasts.

they have said even if you are extremely reckless and dieing multiple times daily,

your spark should still last 3 months in that scenario. @25$ bucks, that is still cheaper than most MMOs, and on par with the cheapest mmos.

Since most subscription base MMOs are 15-20\month (cheap ones are 10\month usually) 25 for 3 months vs 45 or 60 for the same timespan; it is still a bargain.

and they have said they expect the average spark to last between 8 and 14 months, probably right around a year.

so @ an expected average of 25$ a year for the average player, this is the cheapest (to my knowledge) pay to play mmos out there.

even if your reckless and a spark only lasts you 3 months, that is 100\yr.

WOWis between 13 and 15 a month depending on how long you pay in advance, so 156 to 180 a yr depending on if you pay in monthly, quarterly, or 6 month packages.

100 is still cheaper than that, and if you do "average" it will only be 25/yr$

and unlike wow (or most other mmorpgs for that matter), you wont need to pay for expansion pack(s) on top of the sub.

and it's not pay to win, it is pay to get a head start, once the game releases; the only thing purchasable in the store will be sparks (subscription) and souls (extra character slots)

and most importantly the vast majority of the shit you can buy for a head start is perishable.

It can die, be stolen, or be destroyed.

As well as being sandbox, the "win" conditions are personal goals. Not who can reach max level and best pvp gear the fastest like most MMOS

So please look in to the details more thoroughly before you go all half cocked and throw a childish temper tantrum.

and I second Themata, if you intend to be a heavy pvp player who dies a shit ton daily,

and 25$ per 3 months is too expensive for you.

Than go play a free to play game.

3/30/2017 4:09:19 PM #21

Posted By Themata at 07:41 AM - Thu Mar 30 2017

go play a free to play MMO, which will be objectively worse.

"Free" MMOs aren't necessarily worse, they can be very good, they just introduce a different form of payment (like cash shop).

Nothing is really "free". At most you can get part of a content free, but to experience all you will need to pay one way or another (or exist in a world much weaker then others because MMO was "free" but allowed for people to pay for their gear and power).