COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Password-protected inheritance

Would it be a good idea to set up an inheritance in such a way that anyone with a certain password could unlock it? I know this goes straight against the entire concept of family and heirs, but why not use this as a failsafe? I'd be more willing to take risks if I knew that I could retrieve my belongings after my death even if I didn't have any children. Not to mention I could just leave everything to a friend and start with a blank sheet somewhere else, without forcing him to play my child.

Alt text

11/12/2016 10:32:01 AM #1

The point IS for you to calculate risks appropriately. if you don't want to lose everything don't take risks in which that happens for sure.

11/14/2016 9:31:01 AM #2

Fair enough. But what about the friend angle? Is it possible to just donate all your possessions to any person after you die, or do you simply lose all your rights if you die without proclaiming an heir?

Alt text

11/17/2016 3:03:20 AM #3

As long as a family still survives it can be assumed that the NPC's will manage all the property as they normally would. Even if you do not have a designated heir, you can still take possession of anybody in the family and regain shared access to the property. You can then inherit the property by earning family favor. The King may also dictate default inheritance laws which would go into effect in the event that you do not name an heir before you die or your heir dies at the same time that you do.

There will also be banks and Guild/School vaults which would not have communication with a character's family or even their kingdom. So anything held in them might be held for 100's of years until their true owner returns. It is possible that Mediums may be able to discern the true soul owner of an item or that such vaults may only be opened under certain unique conditions known only to the owner. There will also most likely be hidden caves, basements, dungeons, vaults, etc.

So you will be able to keep more portable items if you are smart and prepare ahead of time.

Larger property will only be recoverable within families or possibly depend on if the kingdom has some kind of advanced progressive laws for Soul rights. For example in the movie Jupiter Ascending the reincarnation of the Queen of the Galaxy regained the Earth as her property (after spending hours in a bureaucratic nightmare worse than any DMV office).

Those who fail to learn the historical maneuvers of the Great Dance are doomed to repeating a classic misstep. -- FC--96C878

11/17/2016 3:27:31 AM #4

Other players can be your heirs IF you or they in the past have become a part of one another's family. This has been stated by the devs. Now separating what they inherited from you later on, now that's where it get's tricky. It's been stated that you'll be able to get any inherited titles back, along with inherited property(assuming it hasn't been sold, lost, or destroyed), money however, that is the one thing your heir will not be required to give back in full.

Now it's a different story however if you made this player not really your heir, but rather the regent of your estate until such time as your true heir could arrive and take over things. (ie you've got a trusted friend in the game who's character has a few more IRL months left to live, whereas you know yours will be dead within the next week assuming you don't get killed before the week has passed. Now you in RL are slightly burned out and want to take say the week or two after your character's death off from CoE and just relax, go skiing, biking, hiking, whatever. So you set things up with your friend, contracts and all, and he will be your bloodline's regent until your heir arrives to take things over from him. They would be able to manage your businesses, run your barony, county, duchy, even your kingdom if that was your position in the game, and they would have a lot of your power, but not all of it, as a regent is typically limited in the scope and bredth of the execution of the powers granted to the them of the level of their position.

Count Ruthgar Rugharin, County of Bragen Veld, Duchy - Conclave of Aritaur, Kingdom of Vornair.

11/17/2016 4:56:44 AM #5

Inheritance and Wills will be handled by the Contract System. Within this system you can pass items and property (perhaps even titles) to yourself in your next life, or anyone you choose (a friend) or possibly a group of individuals within one contract.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the