COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
War, war never changes.

Ok so iv'e been thinking about the game and its mechanics with death etc. (Thanks for the help on clearing that up for me guys! :D) and was thinking. Wars in this game will be very sad. A lot of people will loose spirit points, some may even lose there life to the war. Maybe you met a friend that happens to be a talented champion, in a tavern near your local city. You two are best friends and then a war breaks out between your kingdom and one of the bordering kingdoms. The king then asks his kingdom for any talented/very good Champions/Archers etc. to help aid in the war. He goes to help in the war. He later on loses his life to the war because he failed at his spirit walk.

But who knows, maybe i'm just taking things to seriously and maybe, people will only get incapacitated instead of being coup de graced. I may be wrong and wars will require less people and only tiny sieges against each kingdom. We will see I guess.

These are just my thoughts and anyone is aloud to elaborate on any of these topics :P.

11/15/2016 1:25:34 AM #1

Well, to start with, there's a cooldown on spirit loss after being murdered. If I remember the dev journals correctly, it's about 2 hours during normal times, but gets extended to 10 hours (Need verification) during wartime, because war can drive narratives, but if everyone thinks they'll lose out on several months of playtime because of a war, they'll be much more stingy with starting them. Even with a somewhat shorter cooldown, one would have to be pretty dedicated to getting themselves killed to suddenly drop their lifespan during that battle or a war that lasts a couple of years (weeks). And even that's assuming a CDG every time.

On the other hand, if it does happen...it's interesting from a story perspective, isn't it?

Also known as AvA in Discord.

11/15/2016 2:39:36 AM #2

Just as a clarification: its no longer possible to "fail" a spirit walk in that your personal player ability has any say in it. The spirit walk itself is now just symbolic and aesthetic.

Its entirely dependent on your remaining spirit.*

*provided you walk straight back to your corpse

11/15/2016 2:43:41 AM #3

I hope many people lose their life (and have to buy a new spark) during wars.. I want wars to be a very large Risk vs Gain. They shouldn't be something we see every week. Hell, maybe not even monthly. I expect actual full kingdom (or even Duchy vs Duchy wars) to be quiet rare. They should be things that are remembered, things that people will talk about in the comming years of CoE.

And for that too happen, they need HUGE impacts.

EDIT: While i say this, i dont think it should be "Easy" to lose your life during a war, and certainly not on the first few days, even dying every day. But durin the whole span of a war (which i also hope takes months), many people lose their spark)

11/15/2016 2:45:38 AM #4

Posted By Vucar at 9:39 PM - Mon Nov 14 2016

Just as a clarification: its no longer possible to "fail" a spirit walk in that your personal player ability has any say in it. The spirit walk itself is now just symbolic and aesthetic.

Its entirely dependent on your remaining spirit.

Oh, i was unaware of this.. That's probably a good thing..

11/15/2016 3:33:53 AM #5

Posted By Vucar at 8:39 PM - Mon Nov 14 2016

This makes sense. In a way, the player has already paid a cost to their gaming time due to a lack of skill or preparedness in that they died, whether their fault or not. To punish a character for not being able to follow their cord or because they don't fully understand the spirit walk mechanic would just be gratuitous at that point.

It makes me wonder how nearby family members or other mechanics that had been discussed pertaining to spirit walking will work now.

11/15/2016 4:27:18 AM #6

Will there even be an incentive to war? If all the kingdoms are run by players even remotely sane, then we should see peace. Seeing as how death affects everybody equally. During the middle ages, war was used as a way for a kingdom to profit. Declare war, fight a few skirmishes, and ransom the prisoners. Done, profit. However, I do wonder if we'll see this ingame.

AirwaveRaptor

11/15/2016 5:34:03 AM #7

Posted By Honeybrew at 7:33 PM - Mon Nov 14 2016

It makes me wonder how nearby family members or other mechanics that had been discussed pertaining to spirit walking will work now.

If i had to guess, the simplest implementation of such a mechanic would be something like "Family member within 1 km radius of player that is CDG'd, automatic 25% reduction to spirit loss."

11/15/2016 5:46:32 AM #8

BLASPHEMY!

pic or its not true!

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/348/Design-Journal-4-Incapacitation-Spirit-Walking-and-Permadeath

Grandmaster Tor Amerys of The Jenarii Order

11/15/2016 6:03:31 AM #9

Posted By revann1 at 9:46 PM - Mon Nov 14 2016

BLASPHEMY!

pic or its not true!

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/348/Design-Journal-4-Incapacitation-Spirit-Walking-and-Permadeath

I lament that these Dev Journals are not updated, redacted or archived as "old", because of how many users like you who refuse to believe me when i correct outdated information.

Its not your fault.

Alas i do not really give enough of a shit to prove it and i wont be looking this up for you tonight.

11/15/2016 6:27:19 AM #10

Posted By AirwaveRaptor at 11:27 PM - Mon Nov 14 2016

Will there even be an incentive to war? If all the kingdoms are run by players even remotely sane, then we should see peace. Seeing as how death affects everybody equally. During the middle ages, war was used as a way for a kingdom to profit. Declare war, fight a few skirmishes, and ransom the prisoners. Done, profit. However, I do wonder if we'll see this ingame.

here is a forbes article on some of the numbers with eve. it's not the article i was looking for regardign specifies of some of the wars, but im tired. I'll try to look agian tomarrow after work if no one else posts anthing :D

Looking At EVE as an example, people go to war with virtual armies of ships ranging in the Multi thousand dollar range, over an unpaid bill. So I can assume war will be in CoE too, If for no other reason then to expand, conquer others, or just because PvP is fun

11/15/2016 6:42:52 AM #11

Posted By Tigari at 11:27 PM - Mon Nov 14 2016

Posted By AirwaveRaptor at 11:27 PM - Mon Nov 14 2016

here is a forbes article on some of the numbers with eve. it's not the article i was looking for regardign specifies of some of the wars, but im tired. I'll try to look agian tomarrow after work if no one else posts anthing :D

Looking At EVE as an example, people go to war with virtual armies of ships ranging in the Multi thousand dollar range, over an unpaid bill. So I can assume war will be in CoE too, If for no other reason then to expand, conquer others, or just because PvP is fun

Theirs also this

Alt text - can be left blank

11/15/2016 8:36:49 PM #12

Posted By Tigari at 6:43 PM - Mon Nov 14 2016

I hope many people lose their life (and have to buy a new spark) during wars.. I want wars to be a very large Risk vs Gain. They shouldn't be something we see every week. Hell, maybe not even monthly. I expect actual full kingdom (or even Duchy vs Duchy wars) to be quiet rare. They should be things that are remembered, things that people will talk about in the comming years of CoE.

And for that too happen, they need HUGE impacts.

EDIT: While i say this, i dont think it should be "Easy" to lose your life during a war, and certainly not on the first few days, even dying every day. But durin the whole span of a war (which i also hope takes months), many people lose their spark)

I must agree, even with the spirit walking change (Thanks Vucar!) I think wars shouldn't be that common, and when they are, they must leave a mark on the world and its people.

EDIT: Checked in IRC chat of what Vucar said, and is not true, I was told by @Caeoltoiri that it was a misconception. Thus being not true. Posted By Vucar at 6:39 PM - Mon Nov 14 2016

11/15/2016 10:44:13 PM #13

Posted By Vucar at 6:39 PM - Mon Nov 14 2016

Just as a clarification: its no longer possible to 'fail' a spirit walk in that your personal player ability has any say in it. The spirit walk itself is now just symbolic and aesthetic.

False, actually. You can always fail a spirit walk, even if you have tonnes of Spirit left, if you do not make it back to your body in time. Your Spirit Tether grows fainter and you have less time to dally the less Spirit you have, as it is what ties your soul to your body.

The less spirit you have, the weaker that tie becomes, and the less chance you have of making it back to your body and surviving your Walk.

I agree that Spirit Walking is symbolic, but I wholeheartedly assure you that it is not just aesthetic. :)

11/15/2016 10:54:12 PM #14

TY Caeoltoiri I was getting hella confused.

11/15/2016 11:09:57 PM #15

Ikr lol, had to make sure it was right, didn't seem right in the first place :P