COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Fighting in CoE

I haven't really experienced the fighting in this game, but i hope it is more fluid. I think that a system that enables a "combat" mode by pressing a button would be cool. I also think chivalry style fighting would also be really cool. Right mouse button to block. Have to aim blocks. Left mouse to swing. Scroll up to thrust. Scroll down to do another attack. Combinations of running dodging or couterattacking (after block) can really affect gameplay and make it feel smooth. Idk just my thoughts let me know what you think below :0)

United we stand. Divided we fall. Friend Code: ABF605 Click my Banner to find out more

11/15/2016 4:41:02 AM #1

I have to agree, i appreciate the combat style on Chivalry

11/15/2016 4:41:58 AM #2

Also a third person to first person mode would be dope

United we stand. Divided we fall. Friend Code: ABF605 Click my Banner to find out more

11/15/2016 4:45:56 AM #3

I think first person view only would be better for this kind of game

11/15/2016 12:06:24 PM #4

I think first person for combat is useful but largescale battles would benefit from 3rd person. Also like farming and it'd give you a heads up by giving u a larger field of view

11/15/2016 12:17:42 PM #5

Trust me we don't want chivalry style combat, it'd just turn into a mess of rainbow overhead drags and other nonsense

11/15/2016 12:23:23 PM #6

I believe that Caspian has stated that we will have both 1st and 3rd person views. Makes life sooo much easier for us that throw up when in 1st person. I should point out the 3rd person will be restricted - no zooming right out to avoid ambushes etc....

"If it moves hit it. If it doesn't move, hit it until it moves, then hit it." - My Dwarf Berserker. (EU) My very friendly code - AF0CFB

11/15/2016 12:32:38 PM #7

I really hope it is not like chivalry. I don't want dragging to be a thing. I don`t want people crouching and looking down to dodge a blow, I don't want fighting to look like some contortionists trying to dead angle each other.

After someone pointed me towards chivalry, when I asked some stuff related to stamina consumption, saying that the combat system of CoE MIGHT be similar to the one used there, I tried it out for the last few days, and while it is somewhat different to most other games, I really did not enjoy combat past what you find on the newbie-servers.

I would rather have lock-on style combat (eg. dark souls, darksiders, dmc), where your spacing, and timing are more important, than where you are looking while you strike.

Posted By Mr_Plunkett at 1:17 PM - Tue Nov 15 2016

Trust me we don't want chivalry style combat, it'd just turn into a mess of rainbow overhead drags and other nonsense

Exactly!

The truth is born in argument

11/17/2016 2:12:55 AM #8

I understand that but chivalry has a few good points as well. but yeah those spinning overhead 1 hit kills are really annoying and unneeded in this game

11/17/2016 2:46:28 AM #9

The combat system has apparently already been decided, but I would prefer it to be like the Mount and Blade series.

11/17/2016 5:00:03 AM #10

Third person is confirmed from past combat video.

No one has seen archery combat yet but i imagine it will at least have first-person as an option.

As long as it has a fluid flow and quick pace to it, ill enjoy combat.

8/18/2017 6:53:08 PM #11

I know this has been dead for a while. But after playing For Honor and watching Dauntless it got me excited about combat again. And instead of making a new post i decided to bump this one. Perhaps a sort of mix of those two styles of combat would be really cool. A heavy attack. A light faster attack. Move mouse to decide where to aim. Dodges and a button for blocking. I just want to hear what the community thinks the combat will be like. And if anyone played at pax east if they could shed some light on this subject

8/18/2017 7:18:18 PM #12

While I like playing For Honor, I do hate the way they went with feints and parries. A missed parry being a heavy attack is shit, as is having feints just being an animation cancel. I could elaborate, but to cut it short, I'd really like feints just to be special attacks with the feint part being built in at some point of the animation, instead of an option to cancel everything.

The truth is born in argument

8/18/2017 8:24:25 PM #13

Mount And Blade combat. The original and best of this style of combat would suit best.

8/18/2017 8:36:56 PM #14

The way I was taught about feints is that you're going in with the expectations of landing a second or third intention strike, but your first should still be viable.

This gif as an example. In the second half he throws a zwerchau to the head, then again back around, all while moving forward so he can close the gap into a throw.

I wouldn't know if he meant to do that throw, but the first cut to force him to block in that direction to open the other was his intent. If his opponent gave him a bad parry at the beginning he could have just winded into a short edge cut or a thrust.

8/18/2017 10:42:45 PM #15

That was so fast wow. No lag in that game