COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Writing/Skill books/ and writing skill

This post resolves around the idea of a writing skill and how it can be used.

Is it possible to write books? Like a diary or descriptions of the wildlife and such?

I strongly believe so, so i expanded my thoughts and questions:

Is it a skill? and how can it be used? What about drawing illustrations?

• I really began to see possibilities. Here are some of my thoughts:

you could maybe make an atlas (That is probably under the "cartographer" skill )

Make illustrations of different things ( will probably include a "Drawing" skill)

How about a scrapbook? not sure what use it would have in the game but still: To hide some leaves, or maybe even keys or maps or "magic papers" among the sides COULD MAYBE open up for something

And final: Skillbooks. Looking at the above, and how the real world works it wouldn't be a stretch that making a "Skill book" would be possible in the game. As a skill, not a talent (although: i can imagine there being a talent that allows the making of a more powerful skill-book, maybe at the expense of the skill)

I imagine that the effect of the book would depend on three factors: -The writers "writing" skill -The writers mastery in the skill the said skill-book teaches - The reader

Maybe the skillbook enables learning without a teacher right away? maybe it just gives a temporary learning boost in said skill? does it increase by %?, or by % left for mastering the skill? or just a fixed amount?

Anyway: What do you guys think about it?

11/15/2016 4:18:39 PM #1

I believe skill books were mentioned in one of the design journals. My guess is that they will require skill in both scholarship and scribing. The wiki page http://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Scribing has a link to a Q&A.

Those who fail to learn the historical maneuvers of the Great Dance are doomed to repeating a classic misstep. -- FC--96C878

11/24/2016 1:08:43 AM #2

Writing books is a thing.
Skill books are also a thing. They are how you raise a skill from 0 to 1 so you can begin leveling it through use.

11/25/2016 8:53:49 AM #3

These books would be quite valuable. Given that everyone needs them to get whatever skills they need and want, it could become an industry equal to or even larger than, say, weapons and armour. The merchants would jump on the chance to secure the supply and distribute it throughout the world.

Long story short, if you write a skill book, it'd be very profitable to sell the pattern to the bigger merchant companies, unless you have the means to set up production and distribution yourself.

Alt text

11/27/2016 2:05:51 AM #4

There will be books that will enable you "skilling up" in a certain profession or fighting but only up to a degree. For crafing I believe it was up to apprentice. Then you need to actually start crafting to advance.

Carantenum is looking for more citizens. Click on the signature for more information!

11/27/2016 2:09:47 AM #5

Posted By Grayshade at 9:05 PM - Sat Nov 26 2016

There will be books that will enable you "skilling up" in a certain profession or fighting but only up to a degree. For crafing I believe it was up to apprentice. Then you need to actually start crafting to advance.

Books don't have a hard cap. Just like teaching, the higher the skill the better teaching/book you will need. Although the requirement for book is higher than teaching making it rarer but not impossible to learn from a book past apprentice.

I don't know anymore.

11/27/2016 4:41:11 AM #6

Books are possible, and cartography is possible - cartography might be a subset of a drawing skill class, but I think it's more likely they'll go for separate skills for each. I'd say diagrams are in, though. Even if they're not, people will just be able to create books of "maps" with the pictures they want to draw as their maps.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

12/6/2016 6:13:24 PM #7

Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 8:09 PM - Sat Nov 26 2016

Posted By Grayshade at 9:05 PM - Sat Nov 26 2016

Books don't have a hard cap. Just like teaching, the higher the skill the better teaching/book you will need. Although the requirement for book is higher than teaching making it rarer but not impossible to learn from a book past apprentice.

I'd like to see your source on that. i have never seen anything that states anything remotely like that.