COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Monsters and Reincarnation

Who here remembers "revenge sims" from Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64? What if there was a monster that, when killed, reincarnated and could hunt down the person who killed it? Perhaps it is a large monster that normally requires a group of people to take it down and it is capable of dealing considerable damage to terrain and structures. Perhaps something that looks like this (pictured is a Bulette from D&D):

Maybe it was hunted because it can be butchered for rare and important ingredients for making armor, weapons, or in alchemical processes. However, its ferocity in combat and reputation for wanton destruction makes anyone who has been branded by it a potential liability for any settlement. Some groups might be able to use a branded individual as bait to lure it into a trap where it can be more easily defeated, its carcass harvested for expensive components for trade.

I didn't know if this would make for a good design experience monster or something that would be cool for the devs to include in the game?

11/26/2016 9:16:58 PM #1

If we get phoenixes then this kind of creature wouldn't be that much different. Though it being fantasy grade it needs to be rare.

I'm not convinced about the fun factor of being constantly hunted however.. It might work in an action/FPS game, but this is a RPG. It would have to be carefully tweaked with CoE's genre in mind.

11/26/2016 10:35:19 PM #2

"Low fantasy"

11/26/2016 10:49:10 PM #3

Seems interesting, and good suggestion

As of now, Chronicles of Elyria seems very fantasy for me, if you look beyond the other worlds and dimensions in this game.

11/26/2016 11:07:42 PM #4

Perhaps the beast only need to slay the body of the person who killed it previously. That way you don't have to worry about reincarnating with a target on your back (a very delicious target, made of meat).

I do like the idea of it being rare, perhaps even something that can never be permanently killed if it is of the earth. When it dies and leaves a carcass, it could begin to gestate somewhere in the world, underground, and bursts forth to hunt again after it is done maturing. Maybe there is only ever one per server at a time.

Lots to think about... see, now I want to pledge to Chimera tier!