COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Questions!

Greetings, I have been following the development of the game for some time and would like to know some additional details concerning the system. (although i haven't dug up and read every single little tidbit so i apologize if this was answered somewhere already).

1. The Story: I can't remember exactly where I heard this but supposedly the story is planned to be 10 years long? What happens at the "end" of this story? Will the "world" be shut? or will it simply keep going until another story (if ever) is placed in?

2. Creature AI: Will the creatures that populate COE be as "intelligent" as the human n/pcs? For example will "intelligent" npcs such as say "goblins" form balanced warparties, instead of just being the old 1-2 classes in an area and the npcs dont even bother to help each other unless you get too close. And will these npcs also build their own kingdoms (Ala dorf fortress) if players/other npcs don't cull them? For example if "goblin group a" is left alone they will start building goblin huts or something and start doing goblin crafting leading to not just an increase in enemy density but quality as the crafting provides the group with better weapons, eventually they might elect/birth a "king" who will then launch invasions on other realms. Essentially will the environment be a credible threat to the player/realms? rather than just a stated enemy that just camps in their zones and only menaces people who go to them.

3. Crafting: Will crafting be "hard" or "soft"? by this i mean will crafting be like standard mmo's wherein item A needs item b for production, or will it be something like item A needs an item that is at least this "hard/resistant/does something", meaning that other items/materials can be substituted if it meets the requirements and using superior materials will appropriately give a superior product, While some games "approximate" this by adding "recipies" of higher grade it is not the same because you cannot mix and match as necessary (an area might have adamantite for making magnificent metal weapons but they only have poor quality poplar wood growing in the area, so spears made entirely locally will have good damage because of the superior metal but will have terrible handling/accuracy because of the poor quality wooden shafts)

4. Genetics: will bloodlines also have detrimental effects? i.e. genetic diseases/conditions that may have to be bred out, In line with that will we also be having standard diseases/illnesses? (by this i mean long term dangerous afflictions which can spread rather than the short term slight debuffs that most mmos use)

11/28/2016 1:53:31 PM #1

1) At the end of this 10 year story, no one really knows what will happen. The developers could keep the servers going for another story arch, they could close the servers and start them back up having "fast forwarded" a few generations, or they could start an entirely new 10 year story set in a more technologically advanced period. It will depend largely on what we do as players and how well it is received. If people respond really well to this game and it makes the developers lots of money, chances are they will continue to keep things going.

2) Animals and NPC humanoids will have scripted behaviors fitting their role in the game, but the complexity of those behaviors is largely up in the air at this point.

3) Crafting will require both character skill and player skill to complete, as each crafting skill will have an associated user-based "task" (not saying it is a mini-game, but it is basically a mini-game) that determines the quality of the crafted product. Crafting will also give the option for researching better ways to craft for invention or efficiency, so there is going to be a lot for crafters to do. Items will degrade over time, with use, and for some items different components can be swapped out to change overall durability, appearance, or material composition.

4) Bloodlines will provide some mechanical bonuses as well as cosmetic features. I do not believe genetic diseases (mechanical penalties) will be included. No indication yet on how standard diseases will function.

11/28/2016 2:48:36 PM #2

The Story: I can't remember exactly where I heard this but supposedly the story is planned to be 10 years long? What happens at the "end" of this story? Will the "world" be shut? or will it simply keep going until another story (if ever) is placed in?

• 10 irl years. Sabbicat has a good discussion post here the game itself promises ten years on the Kickstarter page proper, ten years is quite a ways away, so I imagine if SBS is still making money and enjoying the game we'll see new plotline, or an extension of the "current maze" we're in!

Creature AI: Will the creatures that populate COE be as "intelligent" as the human n/pcs? For example will "intelligent" npcs such as say "goblins" form balanced warparties, instead of just being the old 1-2 classes in an area and the npcs dont even bother to help each other unless you get too close. And will these npcs also build their own kingdoms (Ala dorf fortress) if players/other npcs don't cull them? For example if "goblin group a" is left alone they will start building goblin huts or something and start doing goblin crafting leading to not just an increase in enemy density but quality as the crafting provides the group with better weapons, eventually they might elect/birth a "king" who will then launch invasions on other realms. Essentially will the environment be a credible threat to the player/realms? rather than just a stated enemy that just camps in their zones and only menaces people who go to them.

• I believe we're still using the Improbable engine. Check it out here or Google search it and check out the videos on it!

Crafting: Will crafting be "hard" or "soft"? by this i mean will crafting be like standard mmo's wherein item A needs item b for production, or will it be something like item A needs an item that is at least this "hard/resistant/does something", meaning that other items/materials can be substituted if it meets the requirements and using superior materials will appropriately give a superior product, While some games "approximate" this by adding "recipies" of higher grade it is not the same because you cannot mix and match as necessary (an area might have adamantite for making magnificent metal weapons but they only have poor quality poplar wood growing in the area, so spears made entirely locally will have good damage because of the superior metal but will have terrible handling/accuracy because of the poor quality wooden shafts)

Genetics: will bloodlines also have detrimental effects? i.e. genetic diseases/conditions that may have to be bred out, In line with that will we also be having standard diseases/illnesses? (by this i mean long term dangerous afflictions which can spread rather than the short term slight debuffs that most mmos use)

I hope this helps!

11/30/2016 12:39:56 PM #3

Interesting!

1. Well i understand of course that financial viability is the primary concern for a company, i just wanted to know if they had already indicated somewhere whether they would actually keep it alive if it was. (we all assume they would but sometimes some writers have a definite "end" and they won't stretch it out when it is time, while this can be good for the story, it can also be a "waste" of a well built universe)

2. Unfortunately the improbable engine just seems to affect how easy it is for them to scale things up. In the end i think it will still be up to whether or not the devs want to simulate that level of detail in the first place, I'm looking for something like this now in pvp games since in my last few ones (which also had consequences, full loot level loss etc, though not to the level that COE is going for) what eventually happens is that an alliance will "conquer" the server (yes i was on the conquering side) and then the game will get pretty stale and "peaceful" until boredom sets in and the alliance fractures/leaves. If the environment itself can also function as a true threat then it gives more opportunities for others to "dethrone" the conquerer's with proper planning to make up for the numbers (rather than only trying to pressgang others and the standard infiltrator accounts trying to rabble rouse, which are valid strategies but ehhhh not as fun/interesting, yes i have been on this side as well) Well since it is not set in stone yet i guess there is still hope!

3. Thanks for that dev journal!, it seems to be a soft approach which is a good thing, i hope we can see a sample recipe soon so that we can know how soft it will be (can we make a hammer made of flesh? hoho)

4. Ah well guess we'll have to wait till it's further along, i hope they implement both though. Deadly diseases and genetic ailments would make the game more "fun"

Thanks for the answers.

11/30/2016 12:55:35 PM #4

For Creature/NPC Intelligence I believe it was stated several times through various outlets that NPCs will have their own Kingdoms, and they will try to work to benefit themselves. They have also mentioned "Ancient Evils" taking up residence in underpopulated areas, which implies that the creatures/NPCs will move around and settle in areas where players are not.

Also, the Soulbound Engine is supposed to react to player actions. I'd imagine the most common way for it to do that is by setting NPCs into motion.

We really don't have enough information, and I am just speculating on the current info we have though.

12/6/2016 2:28:18 PM #5

Yes i have heard about the NPC kingdoms, but from what i understand this only applies to the "Human" npcs, i.e. the ones that we are able to "possess".

The "Ancient Evils" however sounds interesting, those could be the npc threat if they gather/spawn npcs which function like the "human" npcs except with the evil as their king. Though it would be preferable that the standard npcs already function that way with their own hierarchy and the "Ancient Evil" simply supercharges the threat level with its ebil powers.

Well guess will just have to wait for more info on this one too, hopefully they go this route though!

12/6/2016 6:51:49 PM #6

Posted By Valhallan at 08:28 AM - Tue Dec 06 2016

Yes i have heard about the NPC kingdoms, but from what i understand this only applies to the "Human" npcs, i.e. the ones that we are able to "possess".

Not sure what you mean with that, since we can possess any NPC then all NPC's will have the same "intelligence" so to speak. As far as I know, there is no different types of NPC's like what you describe, other than obviously different creatures and such that are not human.

On the off chance I'm completely wrong, why would they have two different ways they run NPC's. the whole point is immersion, they don't want you to know right off the bat if that person is an NPC or a PC.

Join Freeport County, we like boats. And dogs.

12/9/2016 1:26:39 PM #7

Yes i was referring to nonhuman npcs/different creatures. If the monsters and other demi-humans (which we cannot possess) also have the same intelligence as that which they plan to give to the "human" npcs, working toward their own benefit and results in building/expanding their tribe/pack/etc to the consequence of others (the humans/players/other species in the area), that would be ideal (for me).