COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Do animals age and die?

Just wondering whether one can inherit his grand-grandfather's donkey or does one need to keep on buying new rides regularily?

If the latter, would it also affect kickstarter related starting pack animals, like ursaphants, trisons, etc? Or are they simply owned and inherited permanent property on a player account?

11/29/2016 4:40:07 PM #1

As far as I know, Yes, animals will age and die as players do however we don't yet know of the rate of aging. I would assume that different breeds or types may age at different rates and it might be possible for a breed of animal to last more than one Mann lifetime but I would think that would be rare, but no detailed information has been released on animal aging yet (ie. Pets vs Mounts vs Burden animals aging rates).

It is also possible and very likely that they can be killed whether it is out of spite or during combat, so animal breeding and taming will be very useful.

This mechanic (along with others) is one reason that many say the tiers are not pay to play. Anything you get from them, be it capes, mounts, or even titles can be taken away or lost, though the latter one will take a little more work.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

11/29/2016 5:06:48 PM #2

Animals will have to absolutely age and die. Otherwise they'd over-populate the servers. Also i'm quite sure that other animals will eat them. :) These are very good things, though since it helps stimulate the living, breathing world around you. The trison, ursaphant, and other animals can absolutely be killed, die and age. They aren't permanent in anyway. Once they appear, through code/token use during Exposition they're live. You will need to maintain them, ensure their safety, and they will undoubtably serve you well. :)

12/9/2016 11:39:22 PM #3

As the others stated above, yes all animals age & die. although the lifespan of different animal species & plants will differ every living organism in CoE dies.

and then there's the nature defying liches & vampires.

Blessed is he that expects nothing, for he shall never be dissapointed.

12/10/2016 1:02:14 AM #4

I think the only animal that may possibly be able to pass on from one generation to the next is the phoenix if we reach the stretch goal.

All other animals will age and die.

Friend Code: B8ADDD

12/10/2016 1:40:16 AM #5

Confirmed. Everyone has been 100% correct.

12/12/2016 10:45:46 AM #6

Forgive my ignorance if I have overlooked it, but referring to bestiary... I've seen the progression of the varying animals within COE, but will their be supernatural creatures and beings? Even though magic in-game does exist but is rare... will things as mentioned above like vampires, liches, etc.. exist.

12/12/2016 11:15:02 AM #7

If you ask an Elyrian Arkale they will most certainly tell you that no such thing as vampires, liches, or rare mythical beasts exist.

If you ask me, however, rarely is the keyword here. Other keywords include very, and incredibly very.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.