COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Believe the Timeline is too quick.

Hey all, I'm still relatively new here but very excited to be a part of this game and its growth. I have a bit of a concern about how fast this games internal time moves. I come from an RP background and personally enjoy slowing down timescales in popular games like Skyrim that allow me to do so. The reason is due to the immersion and the feeling that I'm somewhat living that life.

I'm not talking a 1 to 1 scale, as I understand that that is nonsensical for what this game is trying, and I support this, to do with it's heirarchy and such. But as an avid fan of RP I'm not sure if I'm fully behind the 1 week = 1 year.

It seems way to fast. As someone who likes to immerse themselves into the world and lead RP guilds/events, I find that it is going to be hard to create an immersive experience with how fast it moves. Even events such as farming and crafting, you're telling me that in 1 week a whole season of farming is passing by? It seems a bit harsh for the immersion, honestly.

I'm interested to see what others think about this, even if not from an RP perspective. I would realistically like to see it doubled, which still is weird for RP, but I think much less harsh and a bit of a compromise for immersion.

May your tale be grand, fascinating, and fulfilling.

12/6/2016 4:11:39 AM #1

Nothing is really set in stone at this point. The time-frame can be changed around in alpha/beta testing if it feels too quick for a single lifespan. There needs to be a nice timescale balance for people of all professions (farmers planting crops to assassins and merchants).

Just don't forget that the story of this game will be over 10 years, 10 generations of people. Which will be alot of time, it is meant to be played over many generations.

Xuerou Wyvernwood Mayoress of Imbrium Ridge Kingdom of Ashland Duchy of Fioralba

12/6/2016 4:22:58 AM #2

As much as I'd love to slow it down further, the way life is doesn't allow for an MMO of this scale to be this slow. It would be too slow and lose most of the player base.

Ultimately, we shall see how it feels in alpha/beta and if it needs to be tweaked, we know from how SBS communicates so far that they would have no issue changing something like this to ensure that everyone is able to play every aspect of the game to it's fullest without requiring people to commit a full work schedule to play.

Join Freeport County, we like boats. And dogs.

12/6/2016 4:29:30 AM #3

Posted By Xuerou at 11:11 PM - Mon Dec 05 2016

Nothing is really set in stone at this point. The time-frame can be changed around in alpha/beta testing if it feels too quick for a single lifespan. There needs to be a nice timescale balance for people of all professions (farmers planting crops to assassins and merchants).

Just don't forget that the story of this game will be over 10 years, 10 generations of people. Which will be alot of time, it is meant to be played over many generations.

I like the fact that it is supposed to be played through generations, don't get me wrong on that, however, I feel that the timescale right now is limiting a bit to the people that could become heavily involved in the growth of the story. 10 years may seem like a long time, but I've met and know quite a few people who have played a single MMO for far longer than 10 years.

Onto the losing the playerbase, I am unsure if that would be the case. I feel that if you create a game as unique and wonderful as this is conceptually and are able to deliver on the mechanics displayed, this game could last for a very very long time. I don't believe that slowing the time down a little bit would hinder the story, but rather help it evolve in a more natural manner instead of being somewhat rushed.

May your tale be grand, fascinating, and fulfilling.

12/6/2016 5:13:54 AM #4

I know far fewer people still playing the same game 10 years later, most MMO's fuck up their game long before the 10 year mark and lose 90% of the original player base. Personally I love the current timeline, there is quite a bit of thought that went into it's development and unless they were waaay off this is how it's going to be upon release.

Join Freeport County, we like boats. And dogs.