COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Questions about Liches and ageing

As you pass a certain age your mental stats diminish, going beyond that, all stats get worse. So does this mean that as an immortal lich these stats will degrade to a point where it becomes difficult to perform tasks or will their be caps placed to stop this from happening? Kind of defeats the point if you end up being an immortal doddering old fool.

My second question is this, will their be a feature with liches that age past the phase of where a normal character would die where they become more and more skeletal in appearance? When I think of a lich what always comes to mind is a skeletal mage of immense power that used its magic to defy death, not a permanently old man. I understand this game doesn't have to adhere completely to the identity of the creature, but it would add nice flavor to the personal lore of those characters. Also while having the downside of people knowing you are a lich, it could be balanced in that, you have access to additional talents such as the ability to magically disguise yourself for a set amount of time. This way you can do your shopping in peace before skulking back to your dusty book filled lair.

My third question is, liches when they die teleport back to their phylactery, so when travelling overseas is this still the case instead of permadeath? If so, than crewing ships with liches, though I understand that could be hard to do if they are rare, would be very advantageous if the rewards for maritime travel are great. This could be really interesting as well as it would essentially be a ghost ship crewed by the undead. Is there going to be a set distance from the phylactery where it no longer functions in keeping your from dying or is distance set to be unlimited and you just have to travel farther to get back to where you went?

When you die, will you teleport back to your phylactery naked or will you have all of your gear on you? On one hand it makes sense that its the soul inside the phylactery re-manifesting your default physical form and not your stuff. But on the other hand my poor loots. Regardless I know if this is the case people will use death to just efficiently store the loot they have in the secure area where the phylactery is.

Just the rambling thoughts of a (as-of-yet) non-lichlike object.

12/6/2016 2:29:03 PM #1

Liches won't have decaying skills ... that would be nonsensical.

Liches do in their usual portrayals grow back somewhere close to their phylactery when killed. So they should be teleported back. But a Lich is a powerful mage, why would one not to speak of multiple Liches work on a ship, when each of them could be powerful enough to control a county/duchy/kingdom?

Usually your phylactery only grows you back. So not your gear.

I don't know how much of this applyable to CoE Liches however.

The truth is born in argument

12/6/2016 6:55:51 PM #2

So this is going to fall under the game mechanics that are not going to be talked about for a very long time, if at all. This falls under the more fantastical elements of COE and as such Caspian is leaving this kind of thing very vague and mysterious. The odds of you personally becoming a lich are so incredibly rare that there isn't even a point to him answering that question, he more than likely doesn't even have it all fully fleshed out.

I'm all for this game having a ton of mystery and things to discover, where is the fun in already knowing exactly how to play as a lich before you even are one? Why build up your hope that you will even be one.

I do see these threads as useful to SBS in order to perhaps see different views of something as complex as becoming a lich but I would not expect a 2 way street with SBS on things like this and to be honest that's how it should be.

Join Freeport County, we like boats. And dogs.

12/6/2016 7:04:50 PM #3

As Antelino has said, we have very little info on liches right now, probably won't hear much about them for many months, and most of what we're going off atm is mostly just generic liches as we know from them outside Elyria.

What we know is that people might be able to tell that your phylactery, whatever it is, is a phylactery (DJ:15) and that you'll have to do something very evil to achieve lichdom (most likely mass-murder).

But, as with Vampires, it's very likely that being a lich will have some major penalties, such as your physical appearance becoming more obviously undead the more you have to resurrect yourself at a phylactery for example, or slower gaining of skills due to the majority of your soul not being in your body or whatever. It's all speculation at the moment.

Just bear in mind that anything which makes a person immortal (vampirism, lichdom etc) will need to be either extremely hard to achieve, or have some considerable drawbacks, otherwise many people would do it and SBS would lose their revenue of income via Sparks of Life.

I'm certainly excited to hear more about them though!

12/7/2016 8:41:23 AM #4

are we going to be able to bottle up souls ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurarihyon#/media/File:Suuhi_Nurarihyon.jpg Master Merchant

12/7/2016 8:41:47 AM #5

i'd love to sell fresh souls muhahaha lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurarihyon#/media/File:Suuhi_Nurarihyon.jpg Master Merchant

12/7/2016 12:21:34 PM #6

The primary classic attraction/characteristic of immortality is the suspension of the ageing process and the infirmity that comes with it. I'd say it's a fair guess that a lich, vampire or other immortal would be and to sustain their stat qualities indefinitely, if not improve them.

Liches will in all likelihood simply not be common enough to crew a boat with. But it would be quite interesting to see a lich marauder captaining a pirate band.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

12/14/2016 6:39:19 PM #7

If, by some lovable slap of fate, I was to become a lich...The entire township would refer to me as Lord of Tea. For I would demand only the finest tea leaves as tribute...or I would take something at random.

Who wants a sane, doom lich when they can have an eccentric like myself?

"I will make you a weapon that will you set you apart of the rest. Be warned, however, A Thalian blades often call to gods and demons alike to test it yielder. The Thalion family takes pride in it's work." -Eryzule Thalian, Blacksmith