COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
Journal of Amicus Mourchaux

Journal of Amicus Mourchaux

Before the Now Moment.

My name is Amicus Mourchaux. Over the last decade, I have been many things. I have been a prince in the Isles of Paspatamia, which was razed to the ground by our southern enemy, the Arkadons. Aided by some strange force, the Arkadons burned through our naval blockade and took all 37 islands before reaching their goal: Destroying Whitespire Capital.

The Isles of Paspatamia had much pride in the things it cherished. Fishing, farming, mining, sailing, and the arts. Specifically, singing and painting. It was not a nation of overindulgence however, for there was a certain respect when it came to such things. A respect that all citizenry maintained. The riches and resources, the Arkadons cared little for and thusly razed it all. Only returning to the Southern Isles when they were believed that all Paspatamians were slaughtered.

At the age of 13, in a desperate act of my parents, I was given a ship and a crew to leave the Isles and sail to the mysterious and unknown realm of Elyria. My nobility granted me the position of Captain, as was our custom. My crew and I left just in time, nearly being crushed by the falling spire of the capital. It was a long 5 years. Surviving off of little rations and improvised meals from the uncharted islands we passed. We fought many battles, the loyal won against a mutiny, and I became a man in the crucible.

Upon arriving near Elyrian shores, our ship, the “Horizon”, was caught in a storm most devastating. I was knocked off the deck and lost to the water. When I awoke, soaking and bleeding, on the beach, I found my ship smashed in two against the rocks. My crew was dead or missing and all I had left was my royal circlet and an old guild charter. The charter was written by my great, great grandfather. Who apparently had been in Elyria, leading an exploration guild.

My goal was set, though I had no influence, coin, or favor. I started a guild meant to explore the land, defend the helpless, learn the unknown, work the land, and spread joy where it could. A large endeavor, because I thought my fellow Paspatamians would come to Elyria not long behind me. My goal was to provide them a purpose upon arrival. Alas, only a few came. The mercenary who wanted to start his own guild died. A brother decided to work on his own, creating a criminal organization in Vornair. And a former crew member, who eventually shared the mercenary’s fate due to her disloyalty.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. The “Horizon Exploratory Guild”, headed by Ambassador Raven Mhoal and Chronicler Amicus Mourchaux. We were quite the daring duo. Unfortunately, political intrigue in the Kingdom of Arthos was getting up to an all time high. The Kingdom eventually fell, but not without taking Horizon down with it. Due to the same political intrigue, Raven and I were forced to separate and hide from our political enemies. That was when I met Guardian Melrose Artnox… My real father, as it turns out…

Of course, I did not know this until far after he died. Far after I became the next Guardian and found his grimoire, which contained a lovely letter to me, explaining the whole affair. I was the Headmaster of Agravaine Academy of Magickal and Mystical Arts, but, due to good reason, I have left that position to someone with better endurance.

I now am building a team of mystics in Greyhale. A team with varying skills, vocations, and endeavors. I will be tending to this team’s goal of exploring and finding the strange and paranormal when I am not fulfilling my duty as the Shield’s Mystic Advisor. That takes us up to now. A lot to process and not everything is here. I cut a lot of things out, but the past has a way of creeping up on you… I’m sure I’ll reflect later.

Before Leaving Vetus Nemus.

Well, it is dawn. Vetus Nemus, despite it being in a damn, muddy swamp, it has its charms and pleasant places. I should have taken the opportunity to search the surroundings for the more rare and potent alchemical ingredients. Alas, duty calls me to the Shield’s side in the manhunt for Thomas Blackthorn. A former colleague of mine during Melrose’s time as headmaster… And student during my time as headmaster.

I can’t help to blame myself for some part in the events of Thomas’ criminal undertakings. Perhaps if I wasn’t so damn caught up with trying to establish good communication between Agravaine and Sevellaros, then I could have taken better care of my student. If I did, then perhaps he would not have felt the need to go to Alnwick Sanitarium and did the things he did after that.

Now… Now, I need to help find him and stop him before he does something else horrifying. I ride off to Ashbourne, in the Devereau County. Perhaps I can atone for my negligence by day’s end.

Finally Captured Thomas.

But what is the actual end? With him being “cured” and walking about the streets? Locked up in Alnwick Sanitarium, only to possibly escape again? His death, if I have say in it. I was so close to poisoning him today. We captured him in the Devereau Manor library, pretending to be a family member or something. I couldn’t even stand the sound of his voice, so I knocked him out with my staff. True, he was unarmed, already bound in chains, and being questioned by Shield Gustavus, but hey, he killed one of my former students.

For my… flavor of character… I was tasked with watching Thomas for the night while he remains unconscious, chained, and locked in a jail wagon. Then Daroth was leaving and young Connor Blackthorn was running around. Too much. Far too painful. When I took up the role of Guardian of Elyria, I knew what I was signing up for. The three rules for Guardians to follow. You do not pursue endeavors of offense in War, you do not cater to or involve yourself in political matters, and you do not chase after love. Or anything remotely near love.

I convinced a doomrider to watch over Thomas and left for the Inn and now, to my great shame, have surrendered to the rum I hide in my satchel. Old habits die hard, I suppose. I do not know what will come of this, but hopefully my duty to the Shield will provide me with some comfort down the road. I’ve taken a liking to being his advisor. Running around to different locations, delving into unknown danger and meeting new people. I’ve exercised my skills more than twice and, at least, looked at a library, so I’m happy. The job makes me happy, despite recent events… and it makes me proud.

To be honest, Shield Gustavus reminds me of my family, excluding Raymond. The other Mourchauxs were rather stoic and knightly. I was the odd one out, keeping to my books, art, and dreams. Though my father hated it about me, I’ve always been more talented at art and academia, which was the stock and trade of the Artnoxs. The Artnoxs with their black hair and witty retorts. Then again, being the only black haired Mourchaux… That wasn’t exactly a surprise…

- Shmuck