COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
What is the deal with twins?

I wanted to address this because I have seen a few topics talking about soul mates and the such, but what about twins, are they actually soul bound at the start or do they have something else entirely. I would personally like it being soul mate from the start. What do you all think about this guys and gals.

12/13/2016 1:13:18 PM #1

I actually don't think I've ever seen twins brought up before. Now I'm really curious if that could possibly be a mechanic scratches chin

12/13/2016 1:38:18 PM #2

Yea. Its a rather nice concept if it can be implemented properly. It would be cool if some players [at random] have a twin somewhere but not know about it unless they bump in to them in the game.

12/13/2016 4:05:29 PM #3

Posted By Pepperpot at 1:38 PM - Tue Dec 13 2016

Yea. Its a rather nice concept if it can be implemented properly. It would be cool if some players [at random] have a twin somewhere but not know about it unless they bump in to them in the game.

Is that just so that the current king, finding out there is an assassination on him due, hires his twin to pretend to be him and take the hit, thus ensuing a long story of the actual king not being recognized when the assassination isn't successful?

Someone should make a film or write a book :)

12/13/2016 5:06:16 PM #4

If I recall correctly, at current there is an option during character creation to open up the possibilities of twins or more during childbirth. Just because you select this option doesn't necessarily mean that you will have twins as it just opens up the possibility and the rest is left up to genetics and the soulborn engine. No information that I am aware of has been released on whether they will be identical or not I guess that will also be left up to genetics.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

12/15/2016 2:22:05 PM #5

Posted By Sullen at 11:06 AM - Tue Dec 13 2016

If I recall correctly, at current there is an option during character creation to open up the possibilities of twins or more during childbirth. Just because you select this option doesn't necessarily mean that you will have twins as it just opens up the possibility and the rest is left up to genetics and the soulborn engine. No information that I am aware of has been released on whether they will be identical or not I guess that will also be left up to genetics.

I'd love to see your source on that.

12/15/2016 2:56:17 PM #6

The only thing I can find about twins is from one of the Q&As:

That is completely different from the children system which is when two consenting adults choose to have children they have a child contract and part of that determines which parent will receive the child code. We’re also looking at the ability to have twins. So you could opt-in for 2 child codes for the price of one, so to speak.

[Source]

This does not state there will or will not be twins. However, I think there is a HUGE difference between twins from the same parents and twin souls, and another big jump to soulbound characters.

Twins from the same parents should have no additional benefits over the normal family bonuses. If they add the possibility of them everyone will just be having twins for the bonuses and that makes those almost mandatory.

Twin souls, or Soul Mates, are a really interesting rare concept. The massive impact they can have on players is so intriguing, but that only works because of the rarity. The very small percentage of ever meeting your soul mate. It should not be made common.

Soulbound should always be a choice. This is a commitment between two souls to be linked and the bonuses given reflect that. Just being twins in the world doesn’t have that same effect, it is temporary, it is just those characters that are twins so it shouldn’t have that same soul related effect.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

12/15/2016 2:56:17 PM #7

The only thing I can find about twins is from one of the Q&As:

That is completely different from the children system which is when two consenting adults choose to have children they have a child contract and part of that determines which parent will receive the child code. We’re also looking at the ability to have twins. So you could opt-in for 2 child codes for the price of one, so to speak.

[Source]

This does not state there will or will not be twins. However, I think there is a HUGE difference between twins from the same parents and twin souls, and another big jump to soulbound characters.

Twins from the same parents should have no additional benefits over the normal family bonuses. If they add the possibility of them everyone will just be having twins for the bonuses and that makes those almost mandatory.

Twin souls, or Soul Mates, are a really interesting rare concept. The massive impact they can have on players is so intriguing, but that only works because of the rarity. The very small percentage of ever meeting your soul mate. It should not be made common.

Soulbound should always be a choice. This is a commitment between two souls to be linked and the bonuses given reflect that. Just being twins in the world doesn’t have that same effect, it is temporary, it is just those characters that are twins so it shouldn’t have that same soul related effect.

12/15/2016 3:08:22 PM #8

Yeah I wouldn't assume twins would be the same as soul mates, or automatically soul mates.

Twins would probably be rare, but I thought Caspian said everyone would have a soul mate? That it's just a matter of if you find yours or not.

Soulbound is definitely a choice. they said you have to be married to initiate it. My wife and I got into a bunch of discussions about it at the time, wondering how that would play out along multiple lives. You have to be married in the first life, and soulbinbing carries on from life to life, but marriage doesn't. So in your second lives you're soulbound but not married, does that mean you can marry someone else? That opens the door for a lot of strange things. I'm assuming you'll only be able to soulbind to one personal ever, so i guess it's not a huge issue.

So many permutations to combinations of these.

12/15/2016 3:38:24 PM #9

Posted By Arisilde at 3:08 PM - Thu Dec 15 2016

Twins would probably be rare, but I thought Caspian said everyone would have a soul mate? That it's just a matter of if you find yours or not.

Yes, and also no!

Every soul does have a twin, so you do have a soul mate. However, every player gets given three souls and then there are soul packs on top of that. Many players are only ever going to use one of those souls they have access to. That means your twin soul could be one of the others that never ever enter the world. So yes everyone will have one, but no it is not just a case of finding them as they might not be out there.

12/17/2016 12:07:33 AM #10

Twin children are a thing, It is answered in one of the q&as. What I wanted to know if these twins, the born together semi identical ones, have some sort of beneficial attribute.