COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Mundane Skills

Combat is not a major thing for me in a game like this. I look at it and think, Leave combat for the rogues, guards, and warriors, give me a useful skill outside of the battlefield.

That being said, I have a few ideas I'm not sure if they're outside of the realm of possible.

Carving - So sure, wood-working will definitely exist. Someone will be making furniture, but can I take it a step further? For a more entry level woodworking, how about widdleing? Can I freehand widdle and make a small basic sculpture? Could I engrave something into a wooden handle to be used as a house stamp? Could I make small runes for religious practices? How about making game pieces for a game I invent? Could it at all be possible to make a board game from scratch with the right skills?

12/12/2016 3:38:19 PM #1

I am not sure if crafting skills are going to be that meticulous in the game. If they were, it would require the handling of a lot of individual items that could be brought together to form a completely new item. This might be out of the realm of possibility for players to do because of the visual and mechanical programming needs.

That is not to say SBS couldn't implement a 3D "paint" tool that started as a 3-dimensional block of wood or stone. Using the block you could either superimpose 3D sculptures into the material and "carve" around it to create a wooden and stone statue or carving. Or, you could try to free-hand a new model that, if ascetically appealing could be saved as a new model in the game for you to superimpose or teach to others so they can do the same. At that level, however, it would be more for decoration than practical use. Still, a lot of possibilities, especially if you could scale the medium up or down.

I would like that sort of a free-form art tool in the game, but it might require SBS write its own program or borrow from a pre-existing program.

12/17/2016 2:38:32 AM #2

well, there will be house building tools.

Hello, i am trying to write a fancfic and need help with it since english is not my first langague: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/8070/help-nedded you can read it here: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/7546/the-spirit-of-the-void-chapter-3-is-out-0605

12/17/2016 2:46:45 AM #3

Combat is not a major thing for me in a game like this. I look at it and think, Leave combat for the rogues, guards, and warriors, give me a useful skill outside of the battlefield.

As ive said to a few people, you absolutely will not want to completely ignore combat. No matter what you do, having a decent level of combat will help you, or at least having a plan of action. Unless you expect to get extremely wealthy and spend a decent amount on a permanent personal guard, which would be more expensive than you'd otherwise need if you were combat-able.

By all means, do something else, just dont completely ignore combat as a whole. Go out and train a weapon, most likely a hidden dagger as defense. It will come in handy.

~Blink your eyes just once and see everything in ruins~

12/17/2016 5:25:11 AM #4

Posted By Darknesse at 8:46 PM - Fri Dec 16 2016

As ive said to a few people, you absolutely will not want to completely ignore combat. No matter what you do, having a decent level of combat will help you, or at least having a plan of action. Unless you expect to get extremely wealthy and spend a decent amount on a permanent personal guard, which would be more expensive than you'd otherwise need if you were combat-able.

By all means, do something else, just dont completely ignore combat as a whole. Go out and train a weapon, most likely a hidden dagger as defense. It will come in handy.

I have to agree with this statement. Even if combat is not your primary goal in the game, it is important to know how to protect yourself. This means both combat training and situational awareness. Try to find some PvPers who could benefit from your crafting focus. They might be willing to trade you raw materials for finished goods along with some protection and lessons in combat. Unlike some MMORPGs, PvPers in CoE are going to rely heavily on player crafters to keep them well armed and well supplied.

12/17/2016 5:27:36 AM #5

Yeah ^, it's just like irl. While you may not be in a combat field, you want to be able to protect yourself from home invaders, street fights and jackers.

I don't know anymore.

12/17/2016 5:50:34 AM #6

Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 9:27 PM - Fri Dec 16 2016

Yeah ^, it's just like irl. While you may not be in a combat field, you want to be able to protect yourself from home invaders, street fights and jackers.

And just like real life, there are folks who never do this ever and are safe, and others who do, who will still get their butts handed to them by someone who makes that lucky punch when your guard is down, or you do something that is detriment to yourself by over compensation.

(I am a karate student and broke my own toe sparring because the other person thought I was less skilled than my actual experience level.)

If you rarely leave town, focus on your character's skills that you want. Leave the real fighting to those who train in it as a general rule, but either hire a guard or practice a little fencing on the side if you want.

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

12/17/2016 7:00:15 AM #7

sure but why play the luck game when you can do easy steps to give yourself the edge. In both aspects.

I don't know anymore.

12/17/2016 8:00:48 AM #8

If you rarely leave town, focus on your character's skills that you want. Leave the real fighting to those who train in it as a general rule, but either hire a guard or practice a little fencing on the side if you want

In the real world there are higher consequences. Even if CoE does have them, the crime rate will be MUCH higher than in the real world, and less punished. And knowing how to defend yourself will likely be the difference between kicked over and having everything stolen and lasting long enough that a guard or similar arrives in time to help. Avoiding combat completely will make you a target, and you WILL die while also likely gaining a reputation of not being combat able, so you will also likely die more often.

~Blink your eyes just once and see everything in ruins~

12/17/2016 8:25:40 AM #9

Well there are tavern games. I dont know if any are wooden yet though.

There will more than likely be the odd decorative piece like animal models. If not, hopefully you've just provided the idea ;)

12/17/2016 9:07:40 AM #10

I think people are under-estimating the potential for law and order and thus pure crafting play-styles in this game. The risks of being a thief don't just come from the immediate consequences of dying, which by itself costs real money. They really come from the fact that your legacy is on the line: every future life you have is at risk because all your property will likely be on land owned by higher authority. If you're branded as a thief you risk losing your home, your business, your access to merchants, and therefore any future you might have been able to establish. Sure there will be those who are dedicated to going bandit but I'd be they quickly become kill on sight everywhere they go.

12/17/2016 5:02:18 PM #11

Posted By cjmarsh at 04:07 AM - Sat Dec 17 2016

I think people are under-estimating the potential for law and order and thus pure crafting play-styles in this game. The risks of being a thief don't just come from the immediate consequences of dying, which by itself costs real money. They really come from the fact that your legacy is on the line: every future life you have is at risk because all your property will likely be on land owned by higher authority. If you're branded as a thief you risk losing your home, your business, your access to merchants, and therefore any future you might have been able to establish. Sure there will be those who are dedicated to going bandit but I'd be they quickly become kill on sight everywhere they go.

Not really. Families. If your son commits a crime their not gonna take your dads house. If the crim is smart property will never be in his name. Even if he has to have a fake ID for a non existent player on the deed. Never in his name.

Plus we have seen no hinting at losing property for a crime. You don't irl either.

I don't know anymore.

12/17/2016 6:22:48 PM #12

Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 6:02 PM - Sat Dec 17 2016

Not really. Families. If your son commits a crime their not gonna take your dads house. If the crim is smart property will never be in his name. Even if he has to have a fake ID for a non existent player on the deed. Never in his name.

Plus we have seen no hinting at losing property for a crime. You don't irl either.

Im quite sure that people lose their homes irl if they dont pay their debts. you dont really call that crime, but in fact it is. or why else do public auctions of the property by court order exist?

Friend Code: 30EF47

12/17/2016 6:49:23 PM #13

Posted By Gromschlog at 1:22 PM - Sat Dec 17 2016

Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 6:02 PM - Sat Dec 17 2016

Im quite sure that people lose their homes irl if they dont pay their debts. you dont really call that crime, but in fact it is. or why else do public auctions of the property by court order exist?

if they don't pay their debts. That's why jails offer mediocre income jobs. Sure it's chump change but depending on your bank account it can mean house or not.

Also, again, familiy members. You can allocate family members to take on debt while incarcerated. It's just that most people who are incarcerated don't have the savings or friends/family that are taking on that debt. Doesn't mean you can't. You have to plan.

I don't know anymore.