COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
[Insert Name] of the [Insert Biome]: Biomes and Souls

After the Q&A on biomes that just recently occurred, I got to thinking how biomes might affect things other than the flora, fauna, and weather. One idea I thought of was what would happen if a soul spent a considerable amount of time within the same biome? Would it begin to resonate with the natural forces and impart some greater understanding of that particular environment?

I would propose that if a player used the same soul over the course of multiple characters and each character spent the majority of their time in the same biome, they could inherent a title/surename and maybe some passive benefits for that particular biome. In this way, a character could only gain these benefits for one biome at a time and only for living in a biome for the majority of a character's lives (majority of an individual life, and a majority of those individual lives).

For example, if my character spent the majority of their in-game life in the temperate plains, died, reincarnated into another character that spent the majority of their in-game life in the temperate plains, died, and reincarnated again... maybe they have the option of the title "Nolan of the Plains" or "Nolan Plainswalker" and gain some passive benefits to living in the temperate plains, such as faster movement speed through natural hazards like mud or snow while in the plains.

Alternatively, what would happen if a player had a soul where (if their are 20 biomes in the world) it had lived 20 lives with each life having the majority of that time spent in each of the 20 biomes? Would they become a Horizon Walker?

What are people's thoughts on this sort of a mechanic? Is there a way people could "pay2win" with it? Do you think biomes should be able to impact a soul or do you think biomes should only impact a tribe's inherent genetic abilities?

12/13/2016 1:10:51 PM #1

They did mention that spending time in particular biomes would effect you skills/stats. I don't see this as out of the question. Can't really be considered pay to win because you're not paying anything, you're just playing the game, just in one spot :P

12/14/2016 1:07:53 PM #2

I really like this idea. Titles or small boosts for players based on their area of gameplay over the time period of months or character lives would give a sense of accomplishment and history. I can't think of any way it would be p2w simply because anyone who plays can earn them through playing alone. If they're not too powerful and the titles aren't too ostentatious I don't see any major downside when comparing new to old players either.

12/15/2016 10:57:24 AM #3

In addition to previous answers, I recall reading that your genetics will have an impact on how you react to your environment. For example, if you are born into a tribe native to a desert climate, you'll do better in a desert and worse in cold climates.

So essentially, this concept is already included in the game, be it in a different way.

Alt text

12/15/2016 11:16:26 AM #4

Would be interesting to actually adapt to that area. Say you went from a forest to a desert...desert would be pretty hard to survive in. But say you went several generations in said desert...maybe your body adapted to store water easier for longer travel like some animals have learned to do. Would be neat

Soldier of Dread Legion

12/15/2016 5:52:29 PM #5

I very much doubt it'll go that far, human evolution doesn't seem to include that. Drawing from history, you'd be talking about skin colours and sweating, basically the temperature regulation of your body. In-game, it'll probably reduces penalties related to cold and hot weather.

Alt text

12/16/2016 4:49:08 AM #6

Posted By CalligoMiles at 11:52 AM - Thu Dec 15 2016

I very much doubt it'll go that far, human evolution doesn't seem to include that. Drawing from history, you'd be talking about skin colours and sweating, basically the temperature regulation of your body. In-game, it'll probably reduces penalties related to cold and hot weather.

True, but humann evolution could be whatever the developers want it to be.

That being said, I would see this mechanic as being more useful if it took the form of micro-behaviors (sensing natural hazards, knowing where to look for food, and otherwise being aware of one's environment) that enhanced suitability as opposed to changes in genetics.

12/29/2016 8:32:11 AM #7

Fair enough. It makes sense that you become familiar with the environment if you stick around for a while. However, this'd mostly apply to hunters, adventurers and any others who actively spend time outside the boundaries of civilisation. Your average city dweller wouldn't have any of the skills you mentioned.

Alt text

12/29/2016 10:00:03 AM #8

I don't know. I like it for bloodlines that have spent a considerable time in an area. Souls on the other hand not so much.

For one thing, a byname, a name which realistically is applied to you by others (e.g. John the Fat, John the Tall, John the Butcher, John of Whitehall, John the English, etc), would only make sense if it was unlocked for a bloodline living in X area for a period of time, not a theoretically anonymous soul that the general populace would of been oblivious to the fact of have been reborn over and over again in a given area.

Another thing, locative bynames are generally only applied to those who are not local (at least historically). John the English would not have been called John the English in England, because almost everyone around him would of been English. Whereas a John from England living in Wales on the other hand would very likely been attributed the byname of English by virtue of him being English being a defining attribute to distinguish him by.

By this same token "Nolan" would not be called "Nolan of the Plains" or "Nolan Plainswalker" unless he left the plains, because his fellow "of the Plains" or "Plainswalkers" sure wouldn't use that byname to define him by when that very byname would apply to everyone else there.

Imgur Imgur

12/29/2016 10:04:15 AM #9

makes sense that you are more familiar with an environment if you sticked around for a few generations, but you don't need an actual mechanics to help you after 3 years of playing in similar environment you should have the IRL skill to know where to get food, knowing that when you see that weird patch in the distance it's a sand storm coming your way. if you can't get used for real to the biome you are playing you shouldn't have mechanics to help you honnestly I wouldn't like for there to be an arrow pointing to where there's food just cause you supposedly know the place.

and also a nickname shouldn't be unlocked by the ammount of generation you played in a biome but by what your character has done and shouldn't be inherited, lawrence of arabia wasn't called that cause is dad and granddad lived there but cause he was a motherfucking badass

12/29/2016 10:59:57 AM #10

Oh I like the idea of optional titles influenced by our chosen biomes! I hope this makes it into the game.

Penny for the bard

12/29/2016 5:02:57 PM #11

I think Sharielane makes some good points about how something like this might be better served as character-based instead of soul-based. Likewise, the "of the [name]" titles make more sense the way she described them, functioning outside of the biome in which they were earned.