COMMUNITY - FORUMS - TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Weird currency calculation

Hi guys, I have a question regarding the way layaway payments (quite possibly all other payments as well for that matter) are calculated from USD to EUR; I make a point of paying off 10% of my layaway every time CoE comes out, which is $ 13,- . I only just now noticed that it says $13 = €13.07. I don't want to make a big deal out of it, and I'm sure there's a perfectly sound explanation why the dollar is suddenly worth more than the euro... but if there is, it's not apparent from the checkout screen; if there were extra fees involved due to payment method used or whatever I feel it would be a good idea to show exactly what it is you're paying for?

12/17/2016 10:31:43 PM #1

It's probably Xsolla not using the mean for the money exchange.

12/17/2016 10:40:38 PM #2

Conversion rate has always been a bit off with Xsolla. I tend to pay in USD through PayPal and let PayPal handle the conversion, it tends to save me £1-2 each time. It's not a huge saving but every little helps...

"But the Duchess had no common sense, probably because it was, well, too common." - Terry Pratchett
Selene Server Contact for The Older Gamers (TOG) | Friend Code: DE07B6

12/17/2016 11:15:33 PM #3

@ Antaryon That's just crazy... it may not be a huge difference, but they're charging something other than the pricetag for no apparent reason... @ malevolentfiend good idea, I'm going to be doing that from now on.

I made a ticket to Xsolla, and the (although speedy) reply stated that the final price "may include the commission rate of the chose payment option and additional fees". Again, that seems weird because the checkout states "payment system fee: E. 0,00".

I understand that different payment options may or may not cost money, but this just looks shady to me :/

• edit @Malevolentfiend there's apparently also an option to change the way your currency is calculated: either let paypal handle it or your creditcard company... I chose the latter and it turned out to be almost 5% less than what a direct purchase through Xsolla would have cost me... good call :)

12/17/2016 11:48:46 PM #4

Hail All,

As others have indicated, Xsolla is our Merchant of Record and handle all currency-related issues. We only pass along the payment amount and they're responsible for the rest.

If there's any issues you encounter with respect to currency conversion, etc., please do raise the issues with them. We want to make sure our customers are paying a fair and reasonable amount, based on the current currency exchange rates.

That all said, as the currency exchange is handled by them, there's nothing we can do about it.

Cheers!
-Jeromy

12/24/2016 6:22:02 PM #5

I know, any annoyance I had was aimed solely at the payment process, and thus Xsolla. It's more or less solved now though, any payments I do in the future I'll do through paypal while letting my CC company handle the currency exchange... difference is just disturbingly big heh