COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
So is anyone giving up titles?

So my question above is to find out if others are considering handing in the nobility titles.

I will. See I pledged to only support the game and of course get some of the perks like EA, Expo and Alpha 1. I think I want to be a farmer, who breeds animals and grows food for major cities. What do you think?

1/17/2017 1:05:22 AM #46

@Costanius

Keep in mind plans change and SBS refund policy doesn't. 😎

I pledged as a count to be able to pick a good spot for me and a few friends to start off. A few changes to game design later and they aren't interested any longer. (Artificial means of control were introduced... my thoughts and opinions on the matter have been said elsewhere) Yet even with those changes I remain very interested in the game just not so much ruling.

Which is why I was open with my Duke about my situation and my intention to find someone within our ranks worthy to pass my county on to. I will get the benefit of seeing the nobility side of gameplay and my Duke gains a loyal follower who he can then reposition where I am most useful while retaining the support of a fully pledged count in the early game.

1/17/2017 2:39:42 AM #47

I pledged Baron level with a friend who was pledging Count level. The plan was for us to marry and thus rule together (I have much more free time then he does but we both wanted Alpha 1 access) so it was a great partnership plan. Long story short- he backed out but I am still hopeful that I will find another partner in game to work with much like Malais' plan above.

My point is that if your only objection to ruling is the time commitment or a paperwork phobia you may run into someone in game (or before) that meshes with you and can help/ take over the parts of ruling you dislike while you still retain your position. I am sure there will be a mechanism (either player made or in the actual game) for real life vacations/ absences that may automate some of the process. Maybe even the offline player mechanisms... We will have to wait and see.

1/17/2017 2:44:03 AM #48

I need more concrete details before I make a decision. If being a Count equates to more work than play (and my play time is limited at times) I may have to forego the Count title. But before I do so, I really need to see what I'm really dealing with.

Count of Sigil's Light, oathed to Duke Damius Kymerion and the Duchy of Thorne

1/17/2017 2:47:28 AM #49

Posted By Maric at 8:44 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

I need more concrete details before I make a decision. If being a Count equates to more work than play (and my play time is limited at times) I may have to forego the Count title. But before I do so, I really need to see what I'm really dealing with.

They have provided a DJ or Post referencing the approx amount of hours per week required of each title if you want to get an idea :)

1/17/2017 2:19:08 PM #50

Posted By Cassonetta at 8:39 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

I pledged Baron level with a friend who was pledging Count level. The plan was for us to marry and thus rule together (I have much more free time then he does but we both wanted Alpha 1 access) so it was a great partnership plan. Long story short- he backed out but I am still hopeful that I will find another partner in game to work with much like Malais' plan above.

My point is that if your only objection to ruling is the time commitment or a paperwork phobia you may run into someone in game (or before) that meshes with you and can help/ take over the parts of ruling you dislike while you still retain your position. I am sure there will be a mechanism (either player made or in the actual game) for real life vacations/ absences that may automate some of the process. Maybe even the offline player mechanisms... We will have to wait and see.

Without starting another debate in the subject my reason for looking to pass on my primary title is the same reason my friends decided to skip COE. Artificial limiters to who can keep titles namely story points.

I work full time and have a life outside of games. Gaming is my hobby it is something I enjoy tremendously but it is secondary to almost everything else in my life. Which means my play time can be restricted at times. Originally if you had the support of the players around you even a king could theoretically hold a title without logging in for several months. With story points you now have to earn points to maintain your position. Theory is this is to force titled folks out into the world instead of turtleing at home. Makes the game more exciting but punishes casual players.

So rather than simply allowing my title to fall into chaos I'm actively looking to pass it on to someone both I and my Duke deem worthy. To this point I haven't found anyone who actually wants the job who I would be comfortable leaving my title to. We have plenty of time but it is still slightly annoying.

1/17/2017 2:36:34 PM #51

Posted By Malais at 3:19 PM - Tue Jan 17 2017

Posted By Cassonetta at 8:39 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Without starting another debate in the subject my reason for looking to pass on my primary title is the same reason my friends decided to skip COE. Artificial limiters to who can keep titles namely story points.

I work full time and have a life outside of games. Gaming is my hobby it is something I enjoy tremendously but it is secondary to almost everything else in my life. Which means my play time can be restricted at times. Originally if you had the support of the players around you even a king could theoretically hold a title without logging in for several months. With story points you now have to earn points to maintain your position. Theory is this is to force titled folks out into the world instead of turtleing at home. Makes the game more exciting but punishes casual players.

So rather than simply allowing my title to fall into chaos I'm actively looking to pass it on to someone both I and my Duke deem worthy. To this point I haven't found anyone who actually wants the job who I would be comfortable leaving my title to. We have plenty of time but it is still slightly annoying.

If I recall correctly they mentioned something along the lines of being able to do the managing of settlements from a web-browser (if at release is questionable though) in one of the dev blogs. They also managed that managing a settlement will take less than 5 hours a week if at all (can't recall the correct timeframe). So I think even if you have less playtime you would be able to decently manage a settlement without big problems.

About the story points. You also accumulate them faster the higher you rank so it might not be too hard to achieve the points for something like Mayor, but I guess it will take quite a few points for Kings/Dukes/Counts.