COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Good and Evil

So in all of our mythology, Good and Evil have been made into reality through subjective views. A concept that in itself is intrinsically flawed, as no one person is capable of knowing the secrets of existence.

Perhaps that concept should be abolished in itself. After all, a saint can just as easily be evil in the eyes of a vampire, as the undead are evil in the eyes of a saint.

Thoughts?

Also to elaborate, a vampire that is born into the world only knowing its need to live, in its own opinion will be no more evil than a man eating his crops.

Thus Good and Evil become more of a scale of self-awareness in what is right and wrong for one's self.

1/3/2017 5:52:53 PM #1

I agree with you that good and bad can be subjective. However, I do not think the concept should be abolished, it would jeopardizes the law system already in place with contracts and other aspects of the game that make it so two players are bound by an agreement. Whether a person breaks the laws or an agreement it's up to an individual player, there won't be invisible forces to force the law. The only people that can force the law are players themselves. If a person can get away with it is because of how cunning and skillful that individual was! Which is fun in my opinion!!

If in the law-breaker's eyes perceive himself as 'good' then that's fine. People that have been unjustly dealt with will sooner or later seek revenge. That's part of the game. Whether you choose to be good or evil is up to you :)!

1/3/2017 6:57:37 PM #2

I think the closest you could get to abolishing them, is just erasing the use of the word good or evil in conjunction with roles people turn to. Such as becoming a Lich, for example. But I do agree with you that good and evil are subjective, and morality implemented in real life is not nearly quite so cut and dried.

1/3/2017 8:06:24 PM #3

Good and evil are different things entirely from law and chaos. Laws don't determine what is good and bad, laws just a society, whether good or evil, functioning in a consistent way.

One game's mythos I really enjoy is Pathfinder's. It puts less emphasis on good vs evil and more on law vs chaos. An interesting spin on things imo. The first battle of the gods was not one of good vs evil but of absolute order vs total anarchy.

I find where people stand in terms of law and chaos to be just as, if not more interesting than where they stand on the good and evil axis.

1/3/2017 8:08:13 PM #4

Posted By CheshireVee at 3:06 PM - Tue Jan 03 2017

Good and evil are different things entirely from law and chaos. Laws don't determine what is good and bad, laws just a society, whether good or evil, functioning in a consistent way.

One game's mythos I really enjoy is Pathfinder's. It puts less emphasis on good vs evil and more on law vs chaos. An interesting spin on things imo. The first battle of the gods was not one of good vs evil but of absolute order vs total anarchy.

I find where people stand in terms of law and chaos to be just as, if not more interesting than where they stand on the good and evil axis.

That's an interesting take on it. I don't think I've ever thought of it that way. Thanks for your comment!

1/5/2017 6:31:04 AM #5

@CheshireVee Very much so what I mean.

When it comes to Good vs Evil the debate is dead, they are a subjective concept (for those of you that don't understand my meaning, Subjective: based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.)

If we want to use Good and Evil we need to take the ruler's opinion and base it on that. (in this case Caspian). Beyond that, I feel as though Lawful and Chaotic should be expanded upon, not every good person is kind, not every evil person breaks the law.

Which brings us back to a subjective point of view if I'm not mistaken. As laws and tendencys then need to be established.