COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
How quests work?

I did read all DJ's about Soul and so, but i still don't get how quests will work... Let's suppose I was born on some day and i got bear quest. Some day I helped a NPC out from bear attack. It happen to trigger my pack of quests of bear hunting for generations or just simple one or maybe something completely different. Could anyone explain it to me?

1/11/2017 4:23:14 PM #1

Okay this is all just how I understand it since I only recently heard of this game and am in the process of reading up more.

From how I understand it, "quests" are simply contracts you agree to from other players or NPCs. If I understand correctly due to the AI they will be using, NPCs can basically do everything a player can. So if an NPC gets attacked by a bear often he might put out a request for someone to kill the bear.

You then agree to the contract, kill the bear and go get your reward from whoever put out the request.

So basically there is no questing in the sense of the game seeing you did quest X so now you unlock quest Y.

Might not be correct but that is how I understand it.

1/11/2017 4:44:43 PM #2

In Chronicles of Elyria I imagine people will be the main givers of contracts (Quest).

As Nanonaps pointed out if someone is getting attacked by bears they might put out a Contract for someone to kill those bears.

Say you are a Baron and need to build up your weapons supply. You might put out a contract for blacksmiths to build weapons.

Say you are a Count who has focused on military. You might put out contracts for people to cook food for your county.

Or maybe you are a simple farmer who wants seeds from across the continent. Even he may put out a Contract for that.

If you ask me this makes Quest (Contracts) far more important than they have ever been in a game before. Normally you kill rabits, or crabs for someone who has asked the last 1000 people to do it and will ask the next 1000 without any impact in the game.

This time your quest will directly impact the game in meaningful ways.

1/11/2017 5:20:56 PM #3

There are two kinds of "quests".

Those created via contracts by other players and those generated via the game engine that are "secrete" and may or may not unlock based on your personal actions or those from other players affecting the world.

An example of a player quest is a bounty token.

I get killed and a bounty token is generated for my killer. I decide to pay someone who is combat oriented to hunt down my killer.

An engine generated quest that was given is miners dig a deep tunnel into a mountain and the entrance collapses. Do you help them or let them die?

1/11/2017 7:06:02 PM #4

The idea of having 2 distinctly different but both quite meaningful quest types like this is rather appealing. As stated, it makes them feel more meaningful. Not just fetch quests that EVERYONE does.