COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Magic

If you create a package that somehow gave a person's character magic, I would gladly buy it regardless of cost. Not being a greedy person at all, I'd even settle for every other soul will have magic.

Being a caster in every game I play this is the only thing stopping me from backing and playing this game, which is sad in my opinion.

Ezenkrul - Xen of Onslaught

Las Vegas. Work for Tesla

1/5/2017 9:49:22 PM #1

It has been said that if you make yourself an integral part of the story you do have a chance of acquiring a Talent, even if your soul wasn't born with one.

Also if you are extremely evil you have a chance of running into something that will allow you to turn into an extremely malevolent being with powers, same is true for the benevolent side of the spectrum.

1/5/2017 9:53:35 PM #2

If you are willing to settle with every soul having magic then I think literally any other MMO would be perfect for you.

I never casted a spell in a game and thought, "My character is truly special". But in this game, and in this world if you are someone lucky enough to cast a spell you will likely think, "My character is truly special" and you would be right.

The closest I ever been to that feeling was in EverQuest when I got my Epic item. .

Hopefully you give this game a second glance because it will be truly special.

1/5/2017 9:57:33 PM #3

Sadly magic is random and it will be very random intentional. Magic will be awed and feared, it will be meaningfull. Also even if you have magic it would be not transfered to your soul.

If they would make magic available it would be so common no one would raise an eye and magic would lose his awesome power.

I don't want to be a magician in this game as I'm certain that there will be some kind of inquisition soon enough, formed by angry players mobbing the one lucky enough to win the lottery.

1/5/2017 9:59:53 PM #4

I'm operating on the assumption that the closest I'll come to magic is dabbling in alchemy or, worst case scenario, being tagged by a vampire or lycan.

Hopefully it will be like the days when Star Wars: Galaxies was just starting out - just with a lot more primitive technology and MUCH better graphics!

• I'm big enough to forgive you. But I'm not stupid enough to trust you again. (A29D00/#9056)
1/5/2017 10:02:42 PM #5

Posted By SirKerlem at 2:59 PM - Thu Jan 05 2017

I'm operating on the assumption that the closest I'll come to magic is dabbling in alchemy or, worst case scenario, being tagged by a vampire or lycan.

Hopefully it will be like the days when Star Wars: Galaxies was just starting out - just with a lot more primitive technology and MUCH better graphics!

I hope a little bit of "greek fire" or other academical combinations can be used

1/5/2017 10:04:25 PM #6

Posted By FateWeaver at 1:53 PM - Thu Jan 05 2017

If you are willing to settle with every soul having magic then I think literally any other MMO would be perfect for you.

I never casted a spell in a game and thought, "My character is truly special". But in this game, and in this world if you are someone lucky enough to cast a spell you will likely think, "My character is truly special" and you would be right.

The closest I ever been to that feeling was in EverQuest when I got my Epic item. .

I am well aware other MMOs have casters, playing one is a preference and I feel that they are making the game even more niche that is by not giving people a mage/priest type class and then also by giving magic to random people who may not even want it. I won't play the game if they don't change the magic system to be more desirable or somehow make up that loss, but I am allowed to voice my opinions and follow the game to see how it goes.

( If someone can buy something as rare as being a king then I should be able to buy something as rare as being a mage. I'd drop 10k on being able to be a caster in the game, but I refuse to play a class or play-style that I do not enjoy. )

Ezenkrul - Xen of Onslaught

Las Vegas. Work for Tesla

1/5/2017 10:34:19 PM #7

Posted By Ezenkrul87 at 3:04 PM - Thu Jan 05 2017

I am well aware other MMOs have casters, playing one is a preference and I feel that they are making the game even more niche that is by not giving people a mage/priest type class and then also by giving magic to random people who may not even want it. I won't play the game if they don't change the magic system to be more desirable or somehow make up that loss, but I am allowed to voice my opinions and follow the game to see how it goes.

( If someone can buy something as rare as being a king then I should be able to buy something as rare as being a mage. I'd drop 10k on being able to be a caster in the game, but I refuse to play a class or play-style that I do not enjoy. )

It doesn't sound like you are expressing your opinion at all, it was more of a "Create this package or I wont back your game". It sounds like you are whining on the forums in hopes that they change a feature for you, that most people are fine with. This is obviously not the game for you, which is fine, you just need to move on instead of coming onto the forums and trying to get them to change there game to suit you. Being King and being a mage are two completely different types of things. A king can be killing and his tittle be taken away from him. The package you want has a mage that dies and becomes another mage? You are missing the whole point of this game, it is supposed to emulate RL more than a fantasy game.

"What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" -Paarthurnax

1/5/2017 10:39:56 PM #8

Posted By Ezenkrul87 at 4:04 PM - Thu Jan 05 2017

First off COE has never claimed to be for the masses. SBS is unabashed in stating COE likely will be a niche because of all the changes to MMO form they are introducing.

So it is very possible coe isn't for you. There is no shame in that.

Second there are no classes. You have skills. If you want to be a baker who also can crack a safe you can be.

You want to be a farmer who can design and fly a glider you can (eventually when technology catches up)

Caster classes are simply ranged dps with colors. Healers will likely still be in COE just won't be twinkle and sparkle healers. Healing will likely be like medicine or some such.

1/5/2017 10:57:23 PM #9

Listen, man, you don't want the game because you can't be handed magic, you don't have to get it, but there are plenty of people who have already backed the game who are absolutely fine without any magic or classes and I'm sure there are more than just a handful that PREFER not having every other person throwing fireballs everywhere.

There are already games like that, everywhere, in nearly every form, in almost every MMO. This is maybe the only one that's not strictly Sci-Fi or PvP Survival that doesn't. Are you saying that your way of having fun takes such precedence that absolutely no one else can have the game they want if they're not a huge audience? Do you honestly not see how selfish that is?

1/5/2017 11:07:57 PM #10

I feel like a lot of oeople seeking to be a vampire. I think it's funny. There should be more light on the characters that are good. There were some ideas from other posts from other players. Nothing xongired compared to lich or vampire.

1/5/2017 11:12:31 PM #11

Whilst I see what you're saying about wanting magic I have to agree with the other posters in this thread. A big part of what I'm excited about is how different the playstyle of this game is compared to other MMO's. Magic is going to be something rare and powerful, not just "click a button to choose to be a powerful mage".

Yes buying the position of king is buying yourself a rare position it's much different in that it's a required thing. Kingdoms need kings and queens to function and many mechanics of towns/kindoms rely on those positions being filled so why not make sure they are filled by people throwing down the most money to support the game?

On the other hand having magic (as far as I know) isn't required to make any other game mechanics work so selling it isn't required and handing it out to those with money is moving too close to pay to win. If you can throw down 10k to get a powerful mage character from the start that gives you a huge advantage in terms of character power (rather than political power) compared to those who cannot afford to drop that kind of money.

So overall, selling title positions makes sense, selling actual character power does not. That's just my opinion at least and it seems to be the stance SS have too from what I can gather, even if they have different reasons.

1/5/2017 11:18:03 PM #12

These threads are getting ridiculous. It has to be the same person making it over and over.

"Wah wah, put what I want in the game or I won't buy it, wah."

Dude, no one cares and no one will miss you. It's getting old already.

1/6/2017 12:55:43 AM #13

Posted By Ari at 6:18 PM - Thu Jan 05 2017

These threads are getting ridiculous. It has to be the same person making it over and over.

"Wah wah, put what I want in the game or I won't buy it, wah."

Dude, no one cares and no one will miss you. It's getting old already.

Man, that's brutal. And absolutely correct.

• I'm big enough to forgive you. But I'm not stupid enough to trust you again. (A29D00/#9056)
1/6/2017 2:48:02 AM #14

Is not catering to pay to win really considered niche now?

1/6/2017 3:59:55 PM #15

Sadly it is, it should be the other way around. Fortunately there are still some beacons of hope where money is not everything.