COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Magic

If you create a package that somehow gave a person's character magic, I would gladly buy it regardless of cost. Not being a greedy person at all, I'd even settle for every other soul will have magic.

Being a caster in every game I play this is the only thing stopping me from backing and playing this game, which is sad in my opinion.

Ezenkrul - Xen of Onslaught

Las Vegas. Work for Tesla

1/6/2017 4:10:13 PM #16

Now what I REALLY want to see is a tier of Pimps and Madams that come with a fully furnished mansion with playmates and Magic Mikes for those dirty minded business owners!

1/6/2017 4:10:39 PM #17

Ughh sorry I couldn't resist...

1/6/2017 4:47:04 PM #18

Perhaps, what you think that magic gives you, in terms of making a game fun, isn't actually directly from magic. Perhaps you can get it from somewhere else? Have you thought about what it is about it that you like? Is it the pretty animations? The lore behind it? In some way it's not really any different than a versatile ranger. Perhaps what you really want, is being able to buy an advantage that puts you far ahead from everyone else, giving you a feeling of power?

1/6/2017 4:59:54 PM #19

As others have said....this is an awful idea.

Here's the thing. Magic is gamebreaking in CoE. It is intentionally OP. A Necromancer who has the time to build up their forces becomes a single player that is a match for entire armies. A single Magus could rain hell on an entire city.

In short, Magic grants you an absurd degree of Personal Power.

Which is extremely different from what a King gets. A King acquires Granted Power...which is power gained from position and authority. But, a King's power only works if his subjects cooperate. If the King says 'go here and do this' and his Dukes tell him no...all he can do is tell his armies to go attack that Duke...and hope they listen.

If you start at game launch and toss a King-pledged player into an arena with a Adventurer-pledged player...toss them both a sword? It's a fair fight.

If you toss a Mage into an arena with an Adventurer? Boom.

That's the difference. You are creating a character that is individually more powerful than armies, as opposed to a character that is able to try to tell armies what to do, but is still dependent on other players to actually accomplish what they want to do. A Magic-user can tell other players to go do something anatomically unlikely, and conquer an area single-handed.

Knowing what I can do isn’t the same thing as knowing what I can’t do.

1/7/2017 2:53:00 AM #20

I had the excact same problem with you about magic in this game. BUT

I will tell you here that magic is not the only talent you can get. There will be a huge list in the end and all of those will make you feel unique in a way that no other MMO can offer. Encountering a mage or generally a "weirdo" in game will fill you with awe and if you finally get one you wont forget that experience. The jelousy and admiration of the people around you.

As ppl said there is also the Soulbound engine which will give you the chance to get a talent from your level of interaction with the events and thee world overall!

I have never seen a better mechanic than this and i m currious about the results. I myself am trying to get Alpha access but dont currently have the funds. But i am definatelly gonna play from the early stages.

BTW the above comment of Guildsbounty is excactly what will make it so uinque and awesome.

now as for...

If you create a package that somehow gave a person's character magic, I would gladly buy it regardless of cost. Not being a greedy person at all, I'd even settle for every other soul will have magic. Being a caster in every game I play this is the only thing stopping me from backing and playing this game, which is sad in my opinion.

If that ever happened the game would loose more of half its backers. The game would be one typical thing as the rest. We dont need that here.

Friend Code: C35991

1/7/2017 4:04:03 AM #21

Alright, given there's no response from OP, (s)he's not here seriously.

But if (s)he is, then I will grant you magic, in exchange you have to do something for me.

Play the game seeking out the witch hidden deep within the lore. Once you find her, study her, beg her to be your teacher. Once the begging fails, you will be cursed with magic that will haunt your lineage. This curse will allow to use magic abilities but it comes with a price. You become a threat to all kingdoms and will have a bounty on you and your family. You and your Elyrian family shall forever be hunted, forcing you to live just as the witch did, till you can pass on that curse.

There you go, magic <3

Dreams are just dreams...

1/8/2017 3:18:31 PM #22

I really really like how they said magic will be very rare , I hope to see a couple dozen wizards , liches, vampires and necromancers in the very first year of this game being playable, I just really hope they get it right and balance it correctly .

I want the powers to be extremely powerful but in different ways : the first man/woman to get magic will have an elemental magic , so powerful that people all over Elyria hear of it and want to destroy it / harness it , eventually that person is captured and used as a weapon by another player .. after a few in game years another magic user is found , but this time the player can change led and rocks into gold , this magic user lives a long life being protected by a large kingdom and king seeing as his powers are incredibly useful . Finally we see another player interested in dark arts constantly practicing them , and when he finally kills his first real player , his evil takes over and creates a dark magic that is capable of dominating npc and creature minds alike , using them as his slaves .

I can't wait to see how they do this magic thing , usually everyone has a mage on their team but this way magic users will be SO MUCH MORE SPECIAL and I can't wait for that , hopefully I have a "talented" character when I start .

1/12/2017 6:25:16 AM #23

I don't think you understand my post. I'm asking. I will definitely not play the game if I don't agree with the magic system. I'm coming on here to chat and I follow the game as I am/was interested to see the direction it is going. Also I can post whatever I want and complain about whatever I want to complain about. I've fine my research on the game and I don't follow all the theory crafting people come up with. I'm simply looking for more information on the game via the people who actually matter before I drop me money on the game. I'll buy my king status the second I see a strong enough appeal.

1/12/2017 7:06:46 AM #24

not sure if trolling, but very sure that sbs wont change such an integral part of their vision. sorry to tell you that this game is not your type of game.

not every game can be for everyone and games that try to be for everyone most of the time dont accede in anything.

1/12/2017 7:15:49 AM #25

Posted By Ezenrkul87 at 07:25 AM - Thu Jan 12 2017

I don't think you understand my post. I'm asking. I will definitely not play the game if I don't agree with the magic system. I'm coming on here to chat and I follow the game as I am/was interested to see the direction it is going. Also I can post whatever I want and complain about whatever I want to complain about. I've fine my research on the game and I don't follow all the theory crafting people come up with. I'm simply looking for more information on the game via the people who actually matter before I drop me money on the game. I'll buy my king status the second I see a strong enough appeal.

Oh we understand you quite well. What you don't understand is that roughly 95% of the people are here BECAUSE it is a low fantasy sandbox.

1/12/2017 7:16:02 AM #26

Fairly sure we will do just fine without your alleged kingdom.

1/12/2017 8:19:07 AM #27

Posted By Ezenrkul87 at 07:25 AM - Thu Jan 12 2017

Ok, let's suppose this isn't about you wanting magic, but just finding something that appeals to your gamestyle. I can see many advantages on becoming king but even more disadvantages; you need to maintain and run a whole kingdom and if you fuck up, the players are coming to dethrone you.

If you still want magic, I would suggest becoming an adventurer and explore caves, tombs and ancient ruins looking for artifacts. Some artifacts have been said to give you magical properties, so you can become a mage that way if you're not lucky enough to gain a Talent. An artifact could be even better if you can protect it well and have it passed down to your heir so your next character can use it too, unlike a Talent that disappears after you die. You can also try to become a powerful vampire or lich, who will boast magic to help their gamestyle, along with several disadvantages.

This is a game of taking and giving, you can earn large amounts of money or even magical aftifacts, but a smart thief could take it all away when you're not paying attention. You could be a powerful mage and half the players could try to hunt you. Every upside had a downside.

But they would never allow a player to buy his way into powerful magic, that's pay to win, something SBS is trying to avoid at all costs.

1/12/2017 8:50:10 AM #28

Posted By Ezenrkul87 at 5:25 PM - Thu Jan 12 2017

I'll buy my king status the second I see a strong enough appeal.

The game is low fantasy that won't change. Magic is rare, super rare. You have a 5% chance to get a talent. Then you may get magic if you are lucky enough to give get a talent.

But funny how many people come in here saying they will buy king. Just from how you have acted you think anyone would even go under you? Or won't just overthrow you the second they can?

If you want magic that bad, honestly move on. Even if you get it, it may not be powerful to do anything with. Just something really simple.

1/12/2017 10:37:16 AM #29

Posted By AyeJay at 04:04 AM - Sat Jan 07 2017

Alright, given there's no response from OP, (s)he's not here seriously.

But if (s)he is, then I will grant you magic, in exchange you have to do something for me.

Play the game seeking out the witch hidden deep within the lore. Once you find her, study her, beg her to be your teacher. Once the begging fails, you will be cursed with magic that will haunt your lineage. This curse will allow to use magic abilities but it comes with a price. You become a threat to all kingdoms and will have a bounty on you and your family. You and your Elyrian family shall forever be hunted, forcing you to live just as the witch did, till you can pass on that curse.

There you go, magic <3

Damn damn damn! I want this! So much yes! this would be awesome!

Baron | Archer | Bowyer

• Barony of Westengarde
  • County of Audran
  • Duchy of Tyr Nansur
  • Kingdom of Al’Khezam
  • Member of The Red Hare
1/12/2017 3:36:55 PM #30

I'm the opposite. I love the fact that this is a low fantasy world and that magic won't be commonplace. It means that when I do encounter it, it will be special and have more of an impact on me. Thats just my opinion though.