COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Too Realistic?

Im just wondering how much is TOO much...

Cuz smooth gameplay, and alot of options are all great.. but what happens when you are jailed and loose "play time" for false imprisonment? if that can even happen.

Or if there is no nameplate above people head, how can you know who your friends are, and how to contact them? How can you find a person who killed you to take revenge, when he can just wear a different gambison and you dont know who they are.

Also im fine with no questing in general sense, but how do they plan to incentivise us to play the game. Cuz logging in to roam around and chop wood is kinda meh after a while.

I just think allowing the world to be run by players entirely can be counter productive, Just look at Mortal Online. Its essentialy CoE but very old and unpolished, and also done by a studio of 10~ people.

Mortal online never got up its feet and the game end up being sooo boring. Because everything was ran by players and there were no players willing to be that commited to a game that had 0 content. It only had a large number of interactions.

Imagine this:

6 Months playing the game > you log in > there is no quest to do cuz thts how game works > lots of people ofline or too far to interact > merchants in local counties/kingdoms dont do their job too well > you cant die anymore cuz ur close to perma death so no risky bussiness.... What do you do? Chop wood? Kill Rabbits? Grief? Explore?

And what happens when kings are offline and you need them imidiatelly to setup something ingame that "cruicial" for your gameplay. Do you depend on people to advance in game but people are generally unreliable?

I would really like SBS clarification how they plan on doing this. Just a Dev Journal about some of this stuff. I know after alpha and beta testing these things would get sorted out but just wondering how they plan on doing it now.

Ussualy first 3-4 months in game slike this is great.. lots of people running around, alot of new things to discover and stuff, but they tend to settle down and losse its charm. Im just wondering how are things going to be in CoE.

Essentialy what are incentives to Log-in Everyday after a few months of gameplay.

THIS IS NOT A RANT. IM JUST CURIOUS ABOUT HOW THINGS ARE GONNA BE AND JUST A THREAD TO TALK WITH PEOPLE ABOUT THESE STUFF.

1/7/2017 7:45:25 PM #1

Judging by your post so far you should reconsider if this game really is for you.

1/7/2017 7:47:03 PM #2

Ok.... some answers for you, without links because I'm tired and lazy.

1. But what happens when you are jailed and loose "play time" for false imprisonment? if that can even happen.

Yes it can happen, what happens in real life? The odds of getting falsely accused are as strong as the odds IRL. Yes, it happens, RARELY, but unless you are accused of a string of robberies a mile thick and get found guilty of every single one.... (aka you get falsely accused once... maybe twice in a lifetime) you will barely - if at all - notice any penalty.

Basically, Spark playtime (indeed anything attached to player play time) is incentivized for the player to want to succeed at whatever that is. So a Good deviant is going to NOT get caught, and a law abiding citizen is ALSO no going to get caught. Who is who becomes anyone's bet.

2. Or if there is no nameplate above people head, how can you know who your friends are, and how to contact them?

How do you know your RL friends? Or are you like some of us who only have online personas and are really NPCs masquerading?

In actuality, nameplates aren't over everyones' heads automatically, but the people your toon deals with on a regular basis will become familiar and you will have the option to see their nameplates, with whatever relevant info you want/need to know about them.

3. How can you find a person who killed you to take revenge, when he can just wear a different gambison and you dont know who they are.

Forensics is a thing in CoE.

Both NPC and PC will be able to witness in court for or against a crime.

4. Questing: how do they plan to incentivise us to play the game.

Skills ramp faster online, and can ramp past a barrier unable to be crossed by OPCs

Traditional "questing" where you go and seek out stationary NPCs to do random tasks for them are out. Tasks made by agreeing to contracts, brought TO you by players and NPCs alike are in.

There is also the unseen set of quests and tasks locked to your soul, which - if you find the right triggers - will lead to ever more interesting quests, depending on how you play out and complete the tasks and quests and jobs (etc, ad nauseam) given to you.

5. I just think allowing the world to be run by players entirely can be counter productive, Just look at Mortal Online. Its essentialy CoE but very old and unpolished, and also done by a studio of 10~ people.

Mortal Online is purposely lawless. You start the game on a prison ship bound for a place of the damned, both by law and death. CoE is not a lawless society like Rust or Mortal Online.

The former shows with fair clarity the versatility of the world, the latter a passable example of what the combat mechanics might look like. Beyond that, it's really not a fair comparison, since SBS are doing far more than either an open world or a novel combat system.

• At this point there are too many variables and speculatives....

and I Don't care to make too many text walls. I set myself a limit and I have reached it... Good morrow, Menn and Womenn of Elyria.

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

1/7/2017 7:49:32 PM #3

Posted By Atogrim at 8:45 PM - Sat Jan 07 2017

Judging by your post so far you should reconsider if this game really is for you.

Hehe..i see what you mean.. but i assure i probably spent more time in mmo's like CoE than i care to admit.

CoE boasts the title revolutionary, which it is in a way, but ppl tried to make these kinds of mmo before...unssuccesfully. And i spent too much time in those games. So believe me when i say it CoE is a dream mmo for me. I literally envisioned this concept through all the years of playing mmo from Tibia and Ultima online, to D&D, to WoW, and all the more prominent and indie mmo's alike.

Try doing some research and youll see what i mean.

btw do you have anything to say to what i wrote in op? any real insight, beside criticising me passivelly?

P.S. why do you feel personaly threatened by posts that might look like they question SBS and CoE integrity?

1/7/2017 7:51:30 PM #4

LorenzW thanks for insight :) good info

1/7/2017 7:57:47 PM #5

Posted By ShadowsDisciple at 8:49 PM - Sat Jan 07 2017

Hehe..i see what you mean.. but i assure i probably spent more time in mmo's like CoE than i care to admit.

CoE boasts the title revolutionary, which it is in a way, but ppl tried to make these kinds of mmo before...unssuccesfully. And i spent too much time in those games. So believe me when i say it CoE is a dream mmo for me. I literally envisioned this concept through all the years of playing mmo from Tibia and Ultima online, to D&D, to WoW, and all the more prominent and indie mmo's alike.

btw do you have anything to say to what i wrote in op? any real insight, beside criticising me passivelly?

I thought it was rather active :-P But it's not that I can't see your point.

Non the less there isn't much I could add to Lorenz post that wouldn't be pure speculation from my side.

1/7/2017 8:06:04 PM #6

I understand your questions and thoughts and i'm happy to discuss my differing opinion on them with you.

First, I feel that this game is deliberately trying to be "that" game for the hyper-realistic niche player vs. the larger mass marketed WOW kind of crowd. It is supposed to be different and unique and not every bodies cup of tea. And while that may limit it's scope, those that do like that of particular play will have the game they have been searching for. Hopefully that will provide a motivated player base that will allow it to grow and succeed vs. stagnating and dying.

Secondly, the just checking in to chop wood example you gave. This game is designed as a closed finite economic system. In that case there should always be something that needs doing to keep it going. Even chopping some wood, should get you something from somebody instead of just chopping it to grind time/advance a level. I see this as less of a traditional wash rinse repeat cycle of gaming and more of a if you are bored then you need to go find something else to do kind of situation if that makes any sense. This game will have people who can and will log in just to chop the wood, and chat with the neighbor down the road, and then play with their little npc kids, before heading to the tavern to gamble a little before breeding their horses and calling it a day. Or the Count of Blah-Blah will have to check the weeks income, send out tax collectors, look at the land table to see who bought what, etc.. What ever you feel your "self" needs to do to be whatever "they are."

Thirdly, the unreliability of people. How do you address that? I plan to find a community of like minded individuals and work with them. I think that will be a very important thing to have in this world as it is in our own. And just like in our world, you will find some who are good and some who aren't, but those that aren't get cast away pretty fast lol. And if my King isn't very good then he won't last very long as my King, either through revolt or attrition.

I hope i didn't prattle on too long, but I think you raised some ideas that need to be addressed. I don't have all the answers, but I feel that this game fits a place that is missing within the current games out there now

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

1/7/2017 8:07:06 PM #7

Posted By Atogrim at 8:57 PM - Sat Jan 07 2017

Posted By ShadowsDisciple at 8:49 PM - Sat Jan 07 2017

I thought it was rather active :-P But it's not that I see your point.

Non the less there isn't much I could add to Lorenz post that wouldn't be pure speculation from my side.

Yea he really went above and beyond to answer me. I knew some of the info he gave but alot of it was obcured from me. Good info really.

1/7/2017 8:18:13 PM #8

Glad to help, I tend to have a traplock mind when it comes to stuff like this, ask me where to find it and half the time I can't tell you, but it's all good info as far as I know.

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

1/7/2017 8:19:12 PM #9

There may not be quests do to but there will be randomly generated occurrences which will require player action, some of these occurrences could be HUGE. Even if there weren't too many players on at any one time I still think this game has plenty to do.

1/7/2017 8:21:26 PM #10

Posted By LorenzW at 9:18 PM - Sat Jan 07 2017

Glad to help, I tend to have a traplock mind when it comes to stuff like this, ask me where to find it and half the time I can't tell you, but it's all good info as far as I know.

Yea i see what you are saying, And TBH i preffer that. I cant tell you how many time i tried to play an MMO and pretending to do things that CoE wants to do. Like i tried playing CoE in others MMO's if you get what i mean. Thats why im looking forward to the game so much. More so than any mmo or game in general up to this date.

1/7/2017 8:32:08 PM #11

Answering the op about incentive to play since there is no traditional questing system; Players will be able to create and give out quests, there is an underlying storyline that the engine will encourage your soul to follow, also obe of the biggest incentives for me is that what you dream for your character to be may not be achievable in one life time.

Lets say you want to be a champion of the realm it may take several generatiins to be skilled in combat especially since as you get older your physical aptitude declines and your intelligence increases; so maybe you'd want to focus on your secondary career to make money for your next lifetime.

You gave an example of chopping wood; I am sure there are people who will be lunber jacks but they will be lumberjacks for a reason, whether it be to save up money to build that dream business or for the sake of chopping wood, either way both players would be working towards something.

CoE's implementation of aging and perma-death is well implemented and limits players characters so that each player will have to think hard about what they want their end character to be like. Players will have to then create milestones and goals as achieving that dream will more than likely take several character lifetimes.

1/7/2017 8:40:47 PM #12

Wanna know what I find boring... having to keep repeating the same old dungeons, fighting the same old land bosses over and over and recycling the same quests over and over to try to get my hands on a few pieces of an armour set that has some special ability I want that I can then go into PvP with, spending an entire week killing quick spawn monsters to obtain XP in order to level up by 1 level. Those are the MMO's i'm tired of.

1/7/2017 8:42:57 PM #13

Posted By SoulSpark at 9:40 PM - Sat Jan 07 2017

Wanna know what I find boring... having to keep repeating the same old dungeons, fighting the same old land bosses over and over and recycling the same quests over and over to try to get my hands on a few pieces of an armour set that has some special ability I want that I can then go into PvP with, spending an entire week killing quick spawn monsters to obtain XP in order to level up by 1 level. Those are the MMO's i'm tired of.

Tired of those since 2007....never raided in my life...tough i am an avid PvP type of guy.

1/7/2017 9:13:31 PM #14

Posted By ShadowsDisciple at 12:42 PM - Sat Jan 07 2017

Posted By SoulSpark at 9:40 PM - Sat Jan 07 2017

Tired of those since 2007....never raided in my life...tough i am an avid PvP type of guy.

Shadow guy, I don't have any earthshattering new information for you, but have you checked out the design journals? There is a ton of really interesting information in them, those some of it may be a little dated.

As for the incentive to keep playing, everyone really answered it but I don't know if they touched upon the part that with aging and all that your life will go through a natural progression in terms of what your goals are at that stage. Early like (teens until after middle aged) will be your primetime PVP/adventuring. As your character ages, its muscle and abilities to fight will precipitate downward until you're an old man during which time you'd be much better suited for being the wise old man hording your knowledge and pressing any goals that may entail.

1/7/2017 9:27:30 PM #15

I'm pretty sure I get the intent of your post. Honestly, I'd be lying if I though the game would be as in depth as it sounds day 1, but SBS have sold me on their vision and convinced me of their legitimacy with their relative transparency.

I'm not even really confident that CoE won't die after a year or two, but I do intend to enjoy the hype and fantasy until it does or I get bored.