COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Talents - Range of Expectation

I am relatively new and, as such, haven't read all the dev journals to completeness, so if it is in those, let me know which. My question is simple: The overarching theme of talents is that those who are advancing the main story will more likely find themselves with a talent. Those that aren't may have a talent, but are unlikely to realize such. My only question is, does that mean to activate talents one must be a combat class, slaying demon kings and bathing in the blood of thousands of vampires? Or could the system give talents to those who craft weapons and armors for players that are involved in the main story? And if that is so, will the system be able to adequately gauge what sword is worthy of activating the crafters talents, if there even are crafting talents. For instance, if only the last point of health is taken by a sword, is that worthy of being a weapon that might be able to activate a talent? or would it require more usage to gain that attribute?

1/11/2017 10:55:25 AM #1

Hello, I am also relatively new.

My understanding of the rare talents differs from what you wrote, so maybe someone with a bit more insight might be able to correct either one of us.

Now, by my understanding it works as follows.

About 5% of characters have these rare talent (at least that is the number I see getting used most places). These characters are usually part of the story but if I understand correctly they don't need to be part of the story.

Additionally to the 5% chance of even having a talent the talents have prerequisites. So if you were going the blacksmith route and got a combat talent, you might never find out that you even had one to begin with since you would need a certain level of combat skill to activate it.

As I said, this is just how I understood it, someone please correct me if that is wrong.

1/11/2017 11:22:01 AM #2

Unless things have changed, the general idea is that up to 5% of "characters" will have talents. That is to say if you don't have one now, you might in your next life. Of that 5%, the talents will vary in nature and strength but will initially, in many cases, be dormant.

Each talent may take certain circumstances to "activate it" and make you aware of it's existence. If you happen to discover it, you can then develop it.

Talents may not be all good - there may be downsides and risks to any. It's likely the stronger the talent is, the greater the risk of a downside.

When discovering talents, some may be passive ie become apparent when crafting or doing mundane things. Others may require more exceptional circumstances to trigger, even a near death encounter. Where strong, rare talents are concerned, the engine may "decide" when to activate talents.

An example - The engine may look for a kingdom under threat. It may look for someone near the front lines, in the right circumstances. It might take story points into account and potentially allegiance. In short, it's not always about story points. Some talents that are more combat oriented may require combat to trigger. There's no point activating destructive wizardry in the middle of a kingdom at peace really..

In regards to building up story points, this can be done by anyone. Story points may also play a part in discovery, opportunities for promotion etc too. Story points can be earned not just through combat, but any part you play in Elyria, be it crafting, exploring and adventuring, discovering new things, managing your people etc.

1/11/2017 11:31:15 AM #3

Indeed i think you are mostly correct. In my undertanding there will also be other ways to "obtain" talents as vampirism or lich.

And yes you may have a talent and spend the life of that soul without realizing it because you never met the conditions o f activation (you may have to burn to death to activate that fire talent, this is just an assumption ofc).

In the matter of wich talents will be available i still didnt find anything conclusive but for what i have read (mostly assumptions) are that talens will cover a wide range of things from meteor showers to be able to use less materials (crafters) or being able to make things grow faster (farming).

Once again this is all in the realm of possibilities with no confirmation being found by me anywhere.