COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Will resources be depleted permanently?

The question that i ask is if resources like iron or any other type of metal will be depleted permanently, I come to ask this because i expect after release and if the game gains a huge fan base wouldn't this resources be depleted near Kingdoms.This might cause empty wasteland and maybe make resource acquirement a little more difficult .(Thanks for those who can help with my question)

1/12/2017 1:23:58 AM #1

They will and it's a good thing. It gives object value and encourages trading between civilizations on all levels of government. If your county is in a shortage of iron you may need to trade steel to another county for it. As for worldwide extinction of a resource I don't believe so. I think somewhere will have it and if not an event may restore a bit to the world like a meteor shower or the ability to dig deeper into the earth discovering new mines and what not. Maybe a new island.

I don't know anymore.

1/12/2017 1:26:51 AM #2

hopefully this addresses your concern:

1/12/2017 2:56:28 AM #3

Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 5:23 PM - Wed Jan 11 2017

They will and it's a good thing. It gives object value and encourages trading between civilizations on all levels of government. If your county is in a shortage of iron you may need to trade steel to another county for it. As for worldwide extinction of a resource I don't believe so. I think somewhere will have it and if not an event may restore a bit to the world like a meteor shower or the ability to dig deeper into the earth discovering new mines and what not. Maybe a new island.

btw, steel is iron or do you mean that you'd trade refined iron in exchange for iron ore or cheap iron?

1/12/2017 3:06:47 AM #4

They have stated that in an event in which resources become too scarce, "natural disasters" could happen which do all sorts of damage to shit, but also is a means of resource locations to become available again.

1/12/2017 3:07:55 AM #5

Maybe instead of being depleted permanently, whatever you make with resources can be broken down back into those resources?

1/12/2017 3:10:24 AM #6

Posted By crabycowman123 at 7:07 PM - Wed Jan 11 2017

Maybe instead of being depleted permanently, whatever you make with resources can be broken down back into those resources?

recycling is a game mechanic that has been confirmed, though we don't know yet the mechanics of how much percentage of the original mats you get back, how skill level effects recycling success/failure etc

1/12/2017 3:28:25 AM #7

thanks for the answer,it was a question i had for a long time.

1/12/2017 3:39:35 AM #8

If one consider other MMO games that have finite resources, then I know from experience that it's definitively unlikely that the more common resources will get depleted in such a huge world even if the server caps of 100k players get hit. The resource concerns should, as Caspian implied, be more in regards to the individual mines/veins, and perhaps also the rarer ores.

1/12/2017 4:23:52 AM #9

Posted By ShadowTani at 10:39 PM - Wed Jan 11 2017

If one consider other MMO games that have finite resources, then I know from experience that it's definitively unlikely that the more common resources will get depleted in such a huge world even if the server caps of 100k players get hit. The resource concerns should, as Caspian implied, be more in regards to the individual mines/veins, and perhaps also the rarer ores.

indeed, and i think something that should be stressed to people new to COE is that we should not be worried about the world actually running out of those rarer resources, but finding as yet undiscovered veins of ore etc, and of course conservation of natural resources (good hunting practices like keeping the local populations of predators and game under control)

1/12/2017 8:01:04 AM #10

Well remember when you increase mining tech you might find other ways to pull resources from sources you couldn't previously. In essence this tech ramp allows you to gather more access to base materials.

1/12/2017 9:08:24 AM #11

I also think technology will play a big part in this, as we further develop and make discoveries, we'll br able to build tools that help better with mining to go deeper, start strip mines etc. That will allow access to ores previously thought unreachable.

1/12/2017 2:48:07 PM #12

Dudes, it will be like irl and its a good thing ! You may found a city near a rich rare ore mine and be able to amass wealth and expand that city buuuuuuuuuuutttt years later when the mine depletes the city leadership was to think of new ways to produce wealth. It brings dinamic to the game, logical thinking and planning. It will also make exploration a big deal. Discovering new resource source is important!

1/12/2017 3:29:26 PM #13

Yep. Depleting resources are essential to this game. They will be a major factor in the game world and the events that unfold. It'll act as a catalyst for exploration, war and trade. Without depleting resources this can't be the game the devs want it to be.

1/12/2017 5:42:12 PM #14

Would an alchemy profession be available that could transmute metals? Because that could be potentially interesting in case a city ever runs out of mining resources. A town full of alchemists creating metals would be cool.

1/12/2017 6:11:06 PM #15

Posted By Dleatherus at 5:26 PM - Wed Jan 11 2017

hopefully this addresses your concern:

Agreed. The reason it's unlikely is because the map is HUGE so lots of stuff. If it does ever deplete entirely I am almost certain they will find something to fix it such as alternative sources for crafting from researching

"Change, or know your fate.." - Elijah Sozo