COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
What Can You do as a Child?

I've heard that the youngest possible starting age is 12, and that's only if you choose to be an orphan to gain playtime at the cost of family bonuses. I'm assuming you can start doing just about anything from the get-go, since wandering around an orphanage would be no fun, and there's nothing quite like a good adventure to kick off your life.

Now the early game is usually one of the first design areas to be tackled, so this has definitely been answered before. But the search function isn't turning anything up, and I don't have the time to read through all of the developer journals one by one, so if anyone knows which ones go into detail on this, please do tell.

Thanks in advance!

Referral Code: 912EC9

1/13/2017 10:02:44 PM #1

Should be able to do everything an adult can but you may have to spend time earning trust before being trusted with any big "quests"

Someone could make contracts for city youths that have tasks that get harder and harder but with more payouts.

Think Game of Thrones little birds just not as murderous. (or maybe just as murderous)

1/13/2017 10:23:44 PM #2

I'm down with that. Good to know.

1/13/2017 11:16:31 PM #3

12-15 isn't that young for the medieval period depicted by this game. It'd be the social equivalent of being a 18-21 year old in the modern world.

In fact 13-14 was considered to be the best time to begin the training of a roman legionaire by Vegitus as it would allow for faster indoctrination and ingrain positive habits young. As for medieval knights most would have begun their training at 7 and at 15 would have fought their first battle.

It would be a mistake to assume in a world where the average lifespan is 52 (a week equates to an in-game year and a spark lasts at most a year or so) that 12-15 is all that young.

Coming Soon(tm)

1/13/2017 11:27:57 PM #4

Posted By chipla at 6:16 PM - Fri Jan 13 2017

12-15 isn't that young for the medieval period depicted by this game. It'd be the social equivalent of being a 18-21 year old in the modern world.

In fact 13-14 was considered to be the best time to begin the training of a roman legionaire by Vegitus as it would allow for faster indoctrination and ingrain positive habits young. As for medieval knights most would have begun their training at 7 and at 15 would have fought their first battle.

It would be a mistake to assume in a world where the average lifespan is 52 (a week equates to an in-game year and a spark lasts at most a year or so) that 12-15 is all that young.

For sure dude. It's something games with medieval-inspired settings tend to forget or dance around by making everyone 18+, which is substantially less interesting.

1/13/2017 11:35:35 PM #5

I'm not sure where but I've read that youth will level faster. Just like how if you are tutored by a master craftsman, you learn relevant skills faster. In similar fashion, it's said that children learn faster, so I suppose the same is a mechanic.

1/13/2017 11:48:33 PM #6

Posted By AdinX at 12:35 AM - Sat Jan 14 2017

I'm not sure where but I've read that youth will level faster. Just like how if you are tutored by a master craftsman, you learn relevant skills faster. In similar fashion, it's said that children learn faster, so I suppose the same is a mechanic.

you probably picked that up from here:

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/414/design-journal-5-families-family-selection

Quote:

A Ward sacrifices the financial and social support system which comes with a family, in exchange for additional character customization and more flexibility. Wards are able to select any Gender and have a point distribution system they can use to set their starting skill values and character attributes. Beyond that, Wards begin at age 12 rather than age 15 and so have an additional twelve days of adolescence in which they can further customize their character's skills and abilities.

1/13/2017 11:54:07 PM #7

That's interesting. Will we have the option to spawn as an orphan after losing a character? I remember the Rabbit Hole post only mentioning 15 as a starting age when referring to possible heirs.

Personally I'd always go for the extra playtime, especially now that they've bumped the time ratio up to 7 Earth days per Elyrian year. That gives us 21 extra days instead of 12, if I interpreted it correctly.