COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
A few of Caspian's screenshots from 1/13

Heya All,

Here's a few of my screenshots from today's play-through.

I woke up early and decided to head for the distant mountains which I've yet to actually make it to before - though it's theoretically possible to do so.

Along the way I came upon some interesting geological features, such as this ravine...

I passed rivers, cabins and other interesting landmarks but eventually came to these distant woods along the edge of the lower montane steppe.

When the trees opened up I was able to see how close I'd actually come to those distant mountains. My first thought was 'fuck me...' as I realized just how massive the scale in our world is.

And finally, I was able to get just a little closer before heading off to a meeting. Closer in this case is another 10 minute run... And yet, the mountains were still massive and so far away.

Maybe next week I'll make it...

1/15/2017 10:42:35 AM #31

I'd think it'd be a little hard to add details like that to dirt roads. Especially considering that dirt path looks like its on secluded private property, you wouldn't want a texture with ruts and and horseprints on your secluded forest hideaway if that path never actually saw traffic from wheels and horses.

Having no idea how exactly they are programming the formation of dirt paths/roads, to me it seems like that at present (remember it's alpha) they are simply removing the "grass" overlay texture on where they designate their paths (whether that system is manual or automated is anybody's guess. Have they said anything about path formation being automated triggered by frequent traffic?) and revealing the bare terrain texture beneath.Perhaps eventually they'll add a traffic marked overlay to their dirt paths/roads further down the track.

Imgur Imgur

1/15/2017 6:03:01 PM #32

Great screenshots. My hype is escalating

Baron Aethelred Steel of Redtopium

1/15/2017 6:15:22 PM #33

I'm assuming there's no ai / creatures on the map yet in the screenshots which is why they don't do videos (not to mention low fps) but I would love to see a video of someone in armor fighting or walking around in the nature (preferably the mountains). Can't wait to step foot in game , even if it's at 10 fps XD !

1/15/2017 6:42:23 PM #34

Posted By Grapefruitkush at 10:15 AM - Sun Jan 15 2017

I'm assuming there's no ai / creatures on the map yet in the screenshots which is why they don't do videos (not to mention low fps) but I would love to see a video of someone in armor fighting or walking around in the nature (preferably the mountains). Can't wait to step foot in game , even if it's at 10 fps XD !

We're getting things to a point where we feel we can do more play-through videos. We've got some artifacts to clean up, some animations to fix, etc.

In the mean time, make sure you check out our YouTube channel where we've posted our previous ones - including this walk-through. Keep in mind, this video is now 5 months old.

Chronicles of Elyria - Tour of Titan's Steppe

1/15/2017 6:58:58 PM #35

Posted By Caspian at 11:42 AM - Sun Jan 15 2017

We're getting things to a point where we feel we can do more play-through videos. We've got some artifacts to clean up, some animations to fix, etc.

In the mean time, make sure you check out our YouTube channel where we've posted our previous ones - including this walk-through. Keep in mind, this video is now 5 months old.

<a href='https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0N0SQeGuSM' target='_blank'>Chronicles of Elyria - Tour of Titan's Steppe</a>

Looking at the beginning of the video there is an awesome rock formation in the distance to the right of the character as they pan around a bit before they look at the ground. This makes me wonder, will there be overhangs like:

Both on a large scale and small scale?

1/15/2017 7:25:14 PM #36

Extremely pretty :) Can't wait to walk in there myself, along with my county-mates! :D

1/15/2017 8:39:56 PM #37

Loving the scale of this world, basic travel to destinations will no doubt in themselves feel like achievements. Awesome work!

1/15/2017 9:34:00 PM #38

I can't wait to see what you guys pull off with spatialOS

1/15/2017 10:53:58 PM #39

Posted By Caspian at 6:42 PM - Sun Jan 15 2017

Posted By Grapefruitkush at 10:15 AM - Sun Jan 15 2017

<a href='https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0N0SQeGuSM' target='_blank'>Chronicles of Elyria - Tour of Titan's Steppe</a>

I watched the video quick. All I need to say is that I'm grinning from ear to ear.

It's a thing of beauty.

Now we need life. Crafting, animals and NPCs.

AI is the meaty bit. We could come up with suggestions if it helps get ideas out? :)

1/15/2017 10:55:32 PM #40

Posted By LorenzW at 10:21 AM - Sun Jan 15 2017

Posted By Oracle at 12:31 AM - Sun Jan 15 2017

Love them all. The only bit that bugs me at all is that "bare dirt" texture. The brown one ie from the ravine. It's a bit like the "roads" etc on some of the other screenshots before.

I can't put my finger on it, but somethings not quite right. Maybe bare dirt is naturally quite uniform. In forests and near pines there are usually little breaks from the patterns though. Little ruts with shadow, perhaps the odd stone. On roads, horse prints, footprints where the mud has dried, small ridges from wheels etc.

Caspian originally posted these to EA for a reason, they are still working on many aspects of the terrain and the details (I'm pretty sure) will come to fruition over time.

Your suggestions are good, just premature, since they really are running through a pristine Section of the world right now and things look wheel ruts and horseprints need traffic to deposit them in the dirt. Right now, no traffic, ergo, no ruts and other details.

Good point. Just throwing it out there in case. It's beautiful though isnt it :)

1/15/2017 11:03:44 PM #41

Posted By Sharielane at 10:42 AM - Sun Jan 15 2017

I'd think it'd be a little hard to add details like that to dirt roads. Especially considering that dirt path looks like its on secluded private property, you wouldn't want a texture with ruts and and horseprints on your secluded forest hideaway if that path never actually saw traffic from wheels and horses.

Having no idea how exactly they are programming the formation of dirt paths/roads, to me it seems like that at present (remember it's alpha) they are simply removing the "grass" overlay texture on where they designate their paths (whether that system is manual or automated is anybody's guess. Have they said anything about path formation being automated triggered by frequent traffic?) and revealing the bare terrain texture beneath.Perhaps eventually they'll add a traffic marked overlay to their dirt paths/roads further down the track.

Probably not recognisable tracks, no. Just a little "scruffing up" here and there. The equivalent of seeing a smoothed over hairstyle and wanting to ruffle it a little so it looks more natural if that makes sense? :)

I think there was a screenie recently that had a grassy mound with a bit of earthy ground showing on an exposed side. The effect was awesome. Perhaps the same in reverse?

1/16/2017 12:52:57 AM #42

One question and something which Ive been thinking a bit about (nitpicking probably). Is it possible to either make the characters a bit taller, or the grass a bit lower? Its not that im expecting a lawn, obviously, but very often the trees (maybe) and grass (more) looks a biiit too tall :) Not often a person on woodlands would be covered in grass, and also because from a player perspective if you want to look up/aim at something above you, the view will be very bad if the camera pens down into that grass..all youll see is texture. Atm im playing ESO (like the rvr lakes) and that is actually a hazzle when fighting. Sometimes you dont really see what youre aiming at, not because its far away but because you bob your head backwards and the view disappears into texture.

1/16/2017 1:04:07 AM #43

Me:

"Ohmigod those mountains look dope."

"HNNNNGGGG... THE MOUNTAINS!"

"Morbis, I want a place with a view of the mountains just like this. I want this view to be in my bedroom window."

My boyfriend:

"Who the hell are you talking to?"

... I showed him the screenshots, and he agrees with me that the mountains are dope as fuck.

1/16/2017 4:08:47 AM #44

Looking forward to seeing those videos, specifically any animation improvements.

Referral Code: 912EC9

1/16/2017 4:24:05 AM #45

This world is stunning. I hope I'll have the guts to create a 2nd character who can go out in the world to see this stuff firsthand, but I suck at PVP/quick thinking/quick movement, so depending on how bad it is out in the world with people attacking, I may have to live my life vicariously through those of you who go out in the world and record your travels while I stick with the relative safety of a city/town. Sigh. Depressed.