COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
A few of Caspian's screenshots from 1/13

Heya All,

Here's a few of my screenshots from today's play-through.

I woke up early and decided to head for the distant mountains which I've yet to actually make it to before - though it's theoretically possible to do so.

Along the way I came upon some interesting geological features, such as this ravine...

I passed rivers, cabins and other interesting landmarks but eventually came to these distant woods along the edge of the lower montane steppe.

When the trees opened up I was able to see how close I'd actually come to those distant mountains. My first thought was 'fuck me...' as I realized just how massive the scale in our world is.

And finally, I was able to get just a little closer before heading off to a meeting. Closer in this case is another 10 minute run... And yet, the mountains were still massive and so far away.

Maybe next week I'll make it...

1/16/2017 4:39:40 AM #46

Posted By Jayde at 11:24 PM - Sun Jan 15 2017

>Sigh. Depressed.

That's the spirit!

Referral Code: 912EC9

1/16/2017 4:48:27 AM #47

Posted By Jayde at 8:24 PM - Sun Jan 15 2017

This world is stunning. I hope I'll have the guts to create a 2nd character who can go out in the world to see this stuff firsthand, but I suck at PVP/quick thinking/quick movement, so depending on how bad it is out in the world with people attacking, I may have to live my life vicariously through those of you who go out in the world and record your travels while I stick with the relative safety of a city/town. Sigh. Depressed.

Ideally Elyria is much like our own world in that sense. Just because you can be attacked while walking down the street doesn't mean it's a common occurrence.

While it's technically possible to attack anyone at any time, anywhere in Elyria, the punishments are as harsh as they are in our world, and we don't expect it to occur as frequently as in other games.

1/16/2017 5:46:18 AM #48

I suspect that the shear size of the world will also, as in RL, give you many opportunities to just go lose yourself in the the wilds and not meet a single soul for a bit :)

1/16/2017 6:31:02 AM #49

Posted By Killimandros at 12:52 AM - Mon Jan 16 2017

One question and something which Ive been thinking a bit about (nitpicking probably). Is it possible to either make the characters a bit taller, or the grass a bit lower? Its not that im expecting a lawn, obviously, but very often the trees (maybe) and grass (more) looks a biiit too tall :) Not often a person on woodlands would be covered in grass, and also because from a player perspective if you want to look up/aim at something above you, the view will be very bad if the camera pens down into that grass..all youll see is texture. Atm im playing ESO (like the rvr lakes) and that is actually a hazzle when fighting. Sometimes you dont really see what youre aiming at, not because its far away but because you bob your head backwards and the view disappears into texture.

I love those as they are. So often feels like they aren't tall enough in other titles. Also adds a little strategy if grass is tall... :)

1/16/2017 3:23:57 PM #50

Hope you all enjoyed! More pictures this week and in Vye's update next week!

1/16/2017 3:30:46 PM #51

Caspian, you should seriously consider making this a series. Make your objective the mountain top and release a few screenshots every few days or so.

If a 10 min walk was enough to hype a lot of people and (i am guessing) it should take 1-2 hours to arrive at the mountain base, it would be a great cost/benefit deal.

It would help fill the low tides we have sometimes and could be a warm-up for the play-through that is coming (soon).

1/16/2017 4:35:05 PM #52

@Caspian I love you man, but you're not getting my bud light.

1/17/2017 3:48:03 PM #53

I'm super excited for the exploring in this game, and am happy to see you guys moving away from things like fast travel. Also hoping the navigation will involve enough player skill that knowing your way around the frontier is a valuable asset.

Compass, sextant, crude map that doesn't have a blinking dot to show where you are. Count me in at any price!

The Adventurer's Guild of Vornair

1/18/2017 11:04:53 AM #54

Posted By Caspian at 05:48 AM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Posted By Jayde at 8:24 PM - Sun Jan 15 2017

This world is stunning. I hope I'll have the guts to create a 2nd character who can go out in the world to see this stuff firsthand, but I suck at PVP/quick thinking/quick movement, so depending on how bad it is out in the world with people attacking, I may have to live my life vicariously through those of you who go out in the world and record your travels while I stick with the relative safety of a city/town. Sigh. Depressed.

Ideally Elyria is much like our own world in that sense. Just because you can be attacked while walking down the street doesn't mean it's a common occurrence.

While it's technically possible to attack anyone at any time, anywhere in Elyria, the punishments are as harsh as they are in our world, and we don't expect it to occur as frequently as in other games.

I really really hope you are right on this one as the game will be much more fun without high frequent random attacks everywhere. We'll see... As long as some players insist on CoE being mainly an open-pvp game and not all of the things that should make it great, i see many of them playing it just like that. And sadly, there are many that play like 'if i can do something, i do it. if its fun, the consequences dont matter'. When it comes to humans, always expect worst case szenarios ;)

Friend Code: 30EF47

1/18/2017 6:30:20 PM #55

Posted By Gromschlog at 05:04 AM - Wed Jan 18 2017

"i see many of them playing it just like that. And sadly, there are many that play like 'if i can do something, i do it. if its fun, the consequences dont matter'. When it comes to humans, always expect worst case szenarios ;)"

I've never met a single PK who would be deterred by the fact that something was illegal or that somebody might come looking for them. For many this only increases the appeal.

Law will only be effective to the extent that it is enforced. If you are in a place where the law in enforced energetically, retaliation comes swift, and memories are long you will be safe...ish. But in some places I suspect it will be WROL once you are out of bow shot from the city walls.

Maybe I'm wrong. I would be glad to be proven wrong in this case.

But don't let that stop you from experiencing all the game has to offer. The risk can make any accomplishment that much sweeter. Try it. Get out there and make things happen. If you don't like it your second character will have a cool story about being a simple merchant because he doesn't want to end up like his "dad" who was killed by bandits.

Or be that merchant who spends his hard earned money to hire guards and make sure the town guards are well equipped. I think this world will be what we make it. Make it something you enjoy.

The Adventurer's Guild of Vornair