COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
We had almost reached Stretch Goal for additional programmer..

Hello there!

We're just 2 weeks after the end of funding towards stretch goals and we are reaching the 2 millions needed to add a programmer to the team (so he could work on the "Dig/Bury/Sensory Map" mechanic). Now, I know they stated they wanted a final feature freeze for the end of 2016 and that they'll eventually add the things mentioned in stretch goals later on after release.. but they also mentioned that after a new member of the team would finish his work on a stretch goal, he would be used to make CoE a better game by using his talents where needed.

What I'm trying to say here is that yes, we have been a little bit late, nonetheless IMHO the guys should hire the new programmer anyway and put him at work on the sensory map (with no official promise of delivery if they prefer), so after he finishes it he could help the team on other things. All of this, of course, only if they think 15 days are not such a big deal and that all this doesn't delay the whole project in a sensible manner.

Just to summarize: would you please consider the 2 millions "Add a programmer to the team" stretch goal as reached, even if a bit late, pretty please?? big watery eyes emoticon

How does the community feel about it?

1/15/2017 10:39:28 AM #1

I agree that we were so close that we could taste it! Personally, I would very much like to see that sensory map.

I'm voting pretty please with a cherry on top.

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

1/15/2017 10:45:22 AM #2

I don't like feature creep as much as the next guy, but I think in this case we were so close we could let it slide this time, considering it's a whole new staff member to help develop the game.

1/15/2017 11:01:33 AM #3

Statistically we will hit it today! :)

Backer #733 "What do we tell the God of Death? not today... not today!"

1/15/2017 1:28:49 PM #4

exactly! I have been following the amount coming in and was also really hoping for this. 15 days shy of the Dig/Bury/Sensory map:( it's a really big part of what sold me on this game. If not as I said in another post I will still be pledging when I can to support the game but it would be awesome if you guys stillget another programmer to help you out with everything you have planned as well as the Dig/Bury/Sensory Map =D

Baron Aethelred Steel of Redtopium

1/15/2017 1:41:38 PM #5

The biggest problem with mmo's is lack of funding lack of staff. If it takes the staff 2 years to fix a game crashing bug just because there is no one to work on it. More staff to work on a project is never a bad thing.

1/15/2017 3:44:09 PM #6

While I would like to see the sensory map and the dig/bury feature as well, I am happy to wait for it at some post launch time.

I'd rather see SBS save the extra money in case of an emergency/delay of some sort, we all know that game design doesn't always go as planned and having a safety net in place for when something does come up could make that go a lot smoother. Or another good option would be to go ahead and hire an additional employee, be it programmer as planned or some other area that could use extra help, and then just have extra man power as a resources towards the development of the game.

1/15/2017 4:05:35 PM #7

Wow, we are close to hitting that milestone. haven't looked in awhile.

1/15/2017 4:19:17 PM #8

would be nice if they did include it - am not going to surprised if they don't

they have been VERY clear about Dec 31st 2016 being a hard limit on cutoff for stretch goals. and the reasons behind the need for setting a hard limit

1/15/2017 4:25:03 PM #9

Be cool if they did hire the programmer but not worrying about doing the stretch goal. Not that I expect it to happen.

1/15/2017 4:25:54 PM #10

I am of the mindset that a new staff member would be all we should hope for in this situation. While the D/B/Sm would be great its not nearly as mandatory of a starting part as some of the things we already reached in the goals. Like caves/tunneling. I say they should get another programmer to help knock the other parts out first and then if they have time before launch try to get us the D/B/Sm as either the last part added in or the first update patch shortly after launch.

1/15/2017 4:45:28 PM #11

I'd be happy with just a new member on the dev team. To help speed up and polish the game making process.

1/15/2017 5:01:58 PM #12

I would be happy if they use their resources to focus on the game and hammer out what they need to. Get that foundation out there that is playable and enjoyable.

If they had it as a stretch goal I imagine it is something they plan to visit eventually so I bet after they get the ball rolling they still might include it down the line.

1/15/2017 5:27:10 PM #13

I believe it was said or implied in Discord that they only intended to cut the features and not the hires at the stretchgoal deadline, so I don't think people need to be worried about that. Stuff in Discord should be taken with a grain of salt though and not quoted easily, but I think it's apparent enough that they are still hiring considering the 4 available programmer positions listed on their job page.

As for asking for the next stretchgoal feature I don't personally think we were close enough for it to be reasonable. We were 80k short the date of the deadline, that's not a little amount (40% remaining from previous goal), and neither is half a month (that would be 17% of additional time on top of the 3 months that was already additional time outside of the original kickstarter).

1/15/2017 5:27:49 PM #14

A new programmer would be a good addition to SBS and I'd also be surprised if they didn't still add one at the 2 mil mark. As for the associated stretch goal, well that'll have to wait until they have time to do it, assuming they add it at all before launch.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

1/15/2017 6:41:16 PM #15

i rather see them add what is needed for them to achieve their current goals and to ensure for a good game, rather then add a feature that will be added once the game is completed. The project is already ambitious as it is.