COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Survivability of Kingdoms

I get it that the pledgers are the "founding fathers" of Elyria, and they created the 9 kingdoms which will be in the final game. Also the numerous houses and clans.

Now the question is: Once the game launches, THEORETICALLY, will a normal Joe be able to go from peasant to king ? or is the King status reserved in a way ? also, only 9 kingdoms for ever, or will people be able to build up new and new Kingdoms ? also, destroy them ?

1/15/2017 1:41:39 PM #1

Theoretically, yes an average Joe can potentially become king at some point. However he must have a valid reason, so you cannot go from farmer to king in a day, so in that sense yes the king status is reserved to nobility people, for more information I recommend Adam Burrfoot's guide for the Casus Belli

Casus Belli Guide

As to the other questions, you will be able to build or destroy kingdoms, however I have no link to the process other than the kingdom and management DJ

Kingdom and Land management

Alt text

1/15/2017 1:56:49 PM #2

You will be able to be king starting from average Joe on a farm.

You will have to find a way to work up the ranks into nobility at which point you need to try to overthrow the current king and place yourself as the new king.

The "Kingdom and Land management" Design Journal Dilectos posted is the information on that.

Keep in mind, it will most likely take a couple of generations for you to work your way up.

1/15/2017 2:01:51 PM #3

no, the average joe will not be able to go from peasant to king

with 5 kingdoms per continent and say 100,000 players, not even the top 1% or even 0.1% or 0.01% of players will get there

to start as a peasant and make your way to king will require an amazing amount of skill, time, planning and charisma and leadership skills to even get into a position to attempt it

it will take a truly exceptional indiviual to do it - but not only can it be done, sooner or later it will happen, and i look forward to seeing the emergence of such a non-average "joe"

as for the new kingdoms - they say new continents will be discovered once ocean-going vessels are researched - it is likely that many will go and seek their fame or fortune in them, but as above, it is only the exceptional person that will rise to become a king there

1/15/2017 2:22:33 PM #4

Posted By Dleatherus at 3:01 PM - Sun Jan 15 2017

no, the average joe will not be able to go from peasant to king

with 5 kingdoms per continent and say 100,000 players, not even the top 1% or even 0.1% or 0.01% of players will get there

to start as a peasant and make your way to king will require an amazing amount of skill, time, planning and charisma and leadership skills to even get into a position to attempt it

it will take a truly exceptional indiviual to do it - but not only can it be done, sooner or later it will happen, and i look forward to seeing the emergence of such a non-average "joe"

as for the new kingdoms - they say new continents will be discovered once ocean-going vessels are researched - it is likely that many will go and seek their fame or fortune in them, but as above, it is only the exceptional person that will rise to become a king there

Indeed. The question is what is "average Joe". If we take the normal definition of a casual player: no. never ever. Won't happen. If "average Joe" is a erson that bought the lowest pledgein that case the answer is: if you are a super dedicated player, yes, you can work your way towards the chance of becoming a King (or Queen, of course).

1/15/2017 3:01:02 PM #5

I don't see how an average joe can become King, not only would you need to acquire wealth and a title to start with, you'd then need to acquire support from counts to become a count yourself, support from dukes to obtain a dukedom and then you'd need support of other dukes to lay claim to the throne and overthrow a king/queen who has their own loyal supporters and armies. I mean in theory it's possible but in reality you've a better chance of winning the lottery jackpot 10 times in a row.

1/15/2017 5:10:37 PM #6

OR By chance you manage to get and activate a rare and powerfull talent. If you become very powerfull a title in a kingdom is something reachable since kings will offer you one for your services. Then you can use plots, intrigues and manage to get to a point where you can either have enough support to overthrow the king OR you can try to take a new land once possible and maybe be powerfull enough to nake it a kingdom.

1/15/2017 5:45:21 PM #7

Glory in battle could prolly net you some rewards from your ruler in the form of land or a small title, with which perhaps you can marry a bit above your station and perhaps push your heir even further later.

Join Freeport County, we like boats. And dogs.

1/15/2017 6:00:17 PM #8

An average joe no , but someone whos got plenty of time to play and build up relationships ; of course . I believe overthrowing your king and becoming one yourself will mostly come down to taking advantage of a certain poor decision made by the current king and at the same time have solid connections to other players high up in the heirarchy that can support your decision to go for the throne (if they don't want it for themselves that is ).

Guild/kingdom politics will be very interesting in this game and I can't wait to see how it all plays out . I for one , will be using my title as baron to fuel my life of adventure in search of powerful magic that will help my kingdom .

As soon as I pay off my layaway I'll be looking for a kingdom , I hope this summer we see expo / alpha 1 !!

1/15/2017 6:36:52 PM #9

To add in from the Dev Journal.

"Casus Belli from Fame Each noble title has its own fame. Legendary for Kings, Exalted for Dukes, and Renowned for Counts.

If you can reach the level of fame just below a noble title: Famous for Counts, Renowned for Dukes, and Exalted for Kings, you can automatically claim Casus Belli on the basis of being famous.

Then, the same process repeats as before. Of course, being an Exalted character might give you Casus Belli to claim the title of King, but you still need an army to defend your new capital. That's where more politics are involved. And as an Exalted character if you die while challenging the King, you suffer the spirit loss of being a now, Legendary character." So, if you just end up that famous through other avenues..You can claim the right to the position through fame alone

1/15/2017 7:07:18 PM #10

Anyone can be king. But there are technicalities that fall into that. If you're a farmer, then stroll into town one day and stab the king to death, that doesn't entitle you to become the new king. It's a bit more complex if you wanna go from farmer to king, but I'll do my best to give you an example of a way that I personally could see working.

The kingdom is at war. You enlist in the king's army, and hone your combat skills. You earn the respect of your comrades and quickly rise through the ranks. Eventually you become a general with a large following. As the war gets more heated, you slowly acquire more political control as well, as many nobles trust you to protect their lands. Eventually you gain enough favor, and rally a coup, calling out the king for being a weak leader and claiming you can lead the kingdom to swift victory. The nobles crown you as the new leader, and you either fulfill your promise, or get murdered within a week.

Now, I'd like to stress that this is possible, yet very difficult. Again, the point is anyone can be king, but that doesn't mean it's easy by any means. It'll require a lot of dedication, luck, and the charisma and skill needed to gain and keep support in your favor.

EDIT: For a real world comparison, study Gaius Marius and his exploits

1/15/2017 7:58:16 PM #11

I think it could be done, and I think many will try - notice I said try, im sure at some point someone will make it.

Aiming to play on the EU server.

If you live by the sword you will die by the sword.

If you are a UK player based in the Southwest be good to hear from you - we need to form friends now.

1/15/2017 10:03:14 PM #12

If we're dealing in absolute hypotheticals, then yes an average joe can become King. When you start factoring in things like activity, charisma, and ability, then yes, its more and more unlikely that a regular guy could become King.

1/15/2017 10:57:38 PM #13

IMO the most probable way to become a king is to gain acess to a new territory by exploration and maage to have enough power (either military or money) to defend your new found land. it will not be easy was many new "kingdoms" may appear iin those lands by either already establshed kingdoms looking for expansion or other warlords like you ! When the dust settles if you manage to defend your land and recruit companions who could become dukes and stuff like that then you can be king ( not even gonna enter the logistics of attempting such a thing , crafters, farmers, warriors, the materials and everything you need to start a city). I suppose it will be a little bit like the wild west but without the guns xD

1/16/2017 3:35:59 AM #14

I think it is possible via the information manipulation route. Nobles will need to transfer information that could be sensitive. And if aquired by wrong ppl it could be manipulated allow certain nobodies access to power and wealth they wouldnt normally be able too

Bloodline Backer - Pure Weapon Smith (Currently unaligned) - Australian.